PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26

RD
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I really feel sorry for Gracie. She has a lot of talent and she's had a great season and instead of people enjoying that and being happy for her, they've anointed her the great US hope and are trying to throw all their expectations on her. While this says more about them than it does about her, I'm sure that it must be hard to be in that position.

I think she'll be fine, though. From what I'm hearing from folks who have talked to her, she seems to be in her own world and that's the type of mentality you need when everyone under the sun is talking about how great you are/might become.

I like what I see so far, but again- it might take time (or it may not happen at all). After all, after Tuktamysheva tore up her first couple of GP events, she went through some struggles of her own.

And now, when [Czisny has] cleaned up a lot of what is wrong with her skating, and really worked on controlling her nerves and fighting through problems, people have completed flipped a 180 and won't even believe her poor performance at Worlds was due to an injury.

Assuming she makes a complete recovery, the questions then become, Can she recover from this? How will such an embarrassing outing affect her confidence moving forward? This one may have been caused by injury but there's no denying she's laid eggs when in good health, too. What will become of her career?

I suppose the biggest question that will be on people's minds is this: Will the judges (both national & INT) continue to be lenient with her and give her big scores? Or will she take a hit in PCS? (think Flatt from 2011 Nats to 2012 Nats)

IceAlisa
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
What does Flatt have to do with this? They are different skaters with very different resumes, strengths and weaknesses, opposites in many respects, PCS specifically. International jugdes were usually quite fond of Alissa but not so enamoured with Rachael. Don't see a legitimate parallel.

RD
05-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Re. mentioning Flatt: I was referring to NATIONAL judging. The judges were very generous with scoring Flatt particularly in 2010 and 2011...then the scores fell in 2012, particularly during her FS which was arguably better than anything she did in '10 or '11

Theatregirl1122
05-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Sarah Hughes was super proven when she won her gold medal is it that hard to be supportive of a skater who has enormous potential and is from the Us?

I'm not necessarily sure why people should specifically care if the US has a skater with enormous potential. Not everyone here (and probably not most people, despite the vocal majority) are supporters of US skating. Many people are from other countries and many of us from the US are more interested in supporting the skaters we like, no matter what country they are from, than in rooting for the US for nationalistic reasons.

jlai
05-29-2012, 08:01 PM
She has a lot of talent and she's had a great season and instead of people enjoying that and being happy for her, they've anointed her the great US hope and are trying to throw all their expectations on her.
It reminds me of when Czisny had a great Fall season, even winning a GP, and people were anointing her the OGM. Then she had a horrible Nationals and didn't even get on the team.

And now, when she's cleaned up a lot of what is wrong with her skating, and really worked on controlling her nerves and fighting through problems, people have completed flipped a 180 and won't even believe her poor performance at Worlds was due to an injury.

For every Gracie hype post there are about five anti-hype posts predicting her to be the winner of every discipline.

Re: Czisny. She's never really consistent. I'm not sure how much that view of her has changed. Some fans will always defend her; some will always pick on her; some will wait and see; and some will have conspiracies.

She did great in 2011. She did have a similar career path this year as Flatt last year though -- good GP, poor GPF, so so nationals, good form during February (Flatt 4th and Czisny having good practices in Colorado Springs), and injured by worlds. That doesn't mean Czisny lied about her injury, of course. But given her history, those who were worried about Czisny's showing at worlds back in late Feb/mid March did have a good reason to worry, even if they don't know what caused the problem.

That said, Czisny has come back from bad seasons and proved people wrong before. So I'll be cautiously hopeful.

carriemarie
05-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm not necessarily sure why people should specifically care if the US has a skater with enormous potential. Not everyone here (and probably not most people, despite the vocal majority) are supporters of US skating. Many people are from other countries and many of us from the US are more interested in supporting the skaters we like, no matter what country they are from, than in rooting for the US for nationalistic reasons.

While the poster I was generally conversing was American and there are so many threads about what to do about Us ladies skating. In steps in Gracie looking quite solid. I know not everyone is from the Us so root for whomever you would like. It's totes up to you:lol: I don't where in my post I said everyone should love Gracie. She shows great talent and potential that I haven't seen in a long time. BTW, the girl Lipinstkya? is my fave for Gold is Sochi. I hate when posters twist my words and if they are going to reply then quote the quote you are actually arguing. Half the people on this board act like they are the ultimate authority on skating and have no proof to back it up. Seems like a bunch of fans and skating moms here. More power to you, but there are only a few wonderful posters that offer legitimate advice and opinions. The rest just seem like a bunch of mean girls ready to diss anyone or prop their faves. Here's me propping Gracie. Gracie for Gold in Sochi:cool:

RD
05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
...More power to you, but there are only a few wonderful posters that offer legitimate advice and opinions. The rest just seem like a bunch of mean girls ready to diss anyone or prop their faves. Here's me propping Gracie. Gracie for Gold in Sochi

:lol:

Skittl1321
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
For every Gracie hype post there are about five anti-hype posts predicting her to be the winner of every discipline.

Speaking as someone who posted something like that during World's, being anti-Gracie hype doesn't mean I'm anti-Gracie. It was just getting ridiculous at the time how much Gracie was being propped up as a savior. I really enjoy her skating and hope to see her succeed though.

Theatregirl1122
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't where in my post I said everyone should love Gracie.

You asked why not support a skater with that much potential who roots for the US. Which implied that posters should generally care about the US succeeding or at least that US posters should.

I hate when posters twist my words and if they are going to reply then quote the quote you are actually arguing. Half the people on this board act like they are the ultimate authority on skating and have no proof to back it up. Seems like a bunch of fans and skating moms here. More power to you, but there are only a few wonderful posters that offer legitimate advice and opinions. The rest just seem like a bunch of mean girls ready to diss anyone or prop their faves.

Please feel free to explain what on earth this has to do with me. I did not twist your words, I've just explained why I felt that what you said implied what I responded to. I don't see how I quoted anything other than the quote that I actually responded to. And I REALLY don't see where I acted like I was the ultimate authority on skating. I never claimed to be anything more than a fan. And if you have such a problem with the quality of posters on this board, perhaps you should find one that is more up to your standards. I come here because I like to discuss figure skating with fans and experts and because the people on this board who aren't experts often have plenty of interesting opinions and insights and are, in fact, often experts in something useful whether or not that is skating.

demetriosj
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
BTW, the girl Lipinstkya? is my fave for Gold is Sochi. ..... The rest just seem like a bunch of mean girls ready to diss anyone or prop their faves. Here's me propping Gracie. Gracie for Gold in Sochi:cool:

???????

demetriosj
05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Are Cesario and Hicks competing at the Senior level this year?

Sylvia
05-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Are Cesario and Hicks competing at the Senior level this year?
I've replied in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3581472#post3581472
Short answer is: we don't know yet.

ETA:

I come here because I like to discuss figure skating with fans and experts and because the people on this board who aren't experts often have plenty of interesting opinions and insights and are, in fact, often experts in something useful whether or not that is skating.
I certainly have learned quite a bit about hip labral tears and MRIs in this thread from people who are willing to take the time to explain them. Thanks, guys!

victoriaheidi
05-30-2012, 01:06 AM

Totally. Especially frustrating is the occasional lack of distinction between hype and credit for her talent. I often praise Gracie's jumps, but I don't think she's the second coming. That said, she seems to really know what she has to work on (presentation, connection, anything under the PCS umbrella, really--and not letting this all go to her head) and she could wind up being quite a force if she manages to make that stuff happen.

carriemarie
05-30-2012, 01:36 AM
???????

Too confusing for you? Should I use smaller words?:hat1:

Ziggy
05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Too confusing for you? Should I use smaller words?:hat1:

No, it would help if you actually started to make sense.

Because that quote of yours that has apparently caused confusion, consisted of two conflicting statements.