Lovely mien masks spunky heart

Fragile seeming, yet strong
Hope springs eternal

For me, Alissa, you can do no wrong
The challenge, I can see you don’t fear it

Heal well and blossom on
Beautiful butterfly with your eyes
Steady on the prize*

*(unlike what many fans believe, the prize is not the color of a medal or even a trip to the podium, tho’ that can be the icing on the cake)
The prize is the effort you make

Alissa ((Hugs)) :saint: Bellisima!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Eq8__uuSs GPF 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbqMT9pbqA SA 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gvqVM3fh0 US Nats 2011

rfisher
05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
You can be as sarcastic as you want, but you'd have to be a fool to believe their nonsense.

PML. I guess you'd need to see the MRI report yourself and since of course you're a radiologist and know how to interpret MRI images, you'd surely arrive at a different conclusion. And of course the myriad explanations of hip labrial tears on the Internet including symptoms, causal factors, treatments etc., are all wrong because there is a :sekret: conspiracy of nonsense that YOU being a medical genius, a skating expert and clearly so many other attributes that mere mortals cannot possibly understand know the TRUTH. Those of us in medicine will crawl back into our holes in the wall since modern medicine has failed us all. I am a fool because I believe. I embrace my foolishness proudly.

PDilemma
05-26-2012, 10:20 PM
PML. I guess you'd need to see the MRI report yourself and since of course you're a radiologist and know how to interpret MRI images, you'd surely arrive at a different conclusion. And of course the myriad explanations of hip labrial tears on the Internet including symptoms, causal factors, treatments etc., are all wrong because there is a :sekret: conspiracy of nonsense that YOU being a medical genius, a skating expert and clearly so many other attributes that mere mortals cannot possibly understand know the TRUTH. Those of us in medicine will crawl back into our holes in the wall since modern medicine has failed us all. I am a fool because I believe. I embrace my foolishness proudly.

Someone please rep this for me.

JJH
05-26-2012, 10:28 PM
It's all a conspiracy...a !Big! !Conspiracy!!!! Also, the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, as anyone can plainly see.

skatesindreams
05-26-2012, 10:31 PM

I did!

PDilemma
05-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I did!

:D Thanks!

Tesla
05-27-2012, 12:22 AM
It's all a conspiracy...a !Big! !Conspiracy!!!! Also, the earth is flat and the sun revolves around it, as anyone can plainly see.

NO! NO! NO! The sun revolves around ME! :drama:

AJ Skatefan
05-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Dang, I tried but I must spread some around first.

The US has not been lucky with keeping 3 spots. Too bad. S**t happens.

Ziggy
05-27-2012, 01:38 AM
USFS should not only monitor every skater by attending all of their practices and making detailed analysis of the amount of jumps that they land but they should also have the monitored athletes do full medical check-ups (including MRI scans OBVIOUSLY) on a weekly basis.

This is very realistic and would be a very clever way of managing USFS' resources.

IceAlisa
05-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Now as far as Alissa goes, I wish her well and a full recovery, but I don't believe the story she and her team have put out there to explain the World's debacle. I'm sure some people will buy it, I don't.

You are not alone. Spoke to an orthopedist who takes care of a lot of athletes about this and he was like--may be, may be not, not necessarily because of the labral tear and no guarantee that the surgery will fix it, if it is the reason for the um..."issues", to begin with.

But because I am biased and love Alissa's skating, I am hoping the surgery will have at least a placebo effect. Placebo goes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way in surgery and in medicine in general, fascinating topic.

Mayra
05-27-2012, 02:02 AM
1. Alissa is not Rachael. (and I still put the majority of blame on Tom Z as Rachael was only 18)
2 Yuka and Jason are not Tom Z. (I hope they are more ethical. On the other hand, their two top skaters suffered overuse injuries this year, so they may be going down that dark ego path)
3 I hope Alissa makes it back to competition. If not, I hope she recovers to the point she can do shows, and include her amazing spins.

At the end of the day, I don't see that many differences between what Alissa did and what Rachael did. Both were skating like crap prior to Worlds and showed up competing what they practiced. One had a known issue she thought she could handle and the other says she didn't know what was going on and chose to ignore it and deal with it until after worlds. Credit where credit is due, Rachael did say she had been practicing well at home. If we are giving Alissa the benefit of the doubt, then I see no reason not to extend it to Rachael as well. It's not as if skaters don't compete injured all the time. Both put themselves first and chose to compete and considering this is an individual sport, I can't say I blame them.

Much ado about nothing, but I agree with you on the third. JMO

aster
05-27-2012, 02:26 AM
MRIs can only be done on a physician's orders. X-rays would NEVER be ordered on young female athletes just to monitor their condition. EVER. Especially, X-rays of their hips and pelvis. EVER. Neither should be ordered without due cause. An MRI cost around $1,000 per scan and there has to be a medically viable reason. Assuring their fitness to compete in a figure skating event doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.

I also haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread that a labral tear doesn't usually show up on a regular MRI, it takes a contrast MRI, which has an even higher risk. Also, if a tear isn't the first thing that is suspected, that test would probably only be ordered after x-rays and other tests, so this isn't always the fastest or easiest injury to diagnose.

Dilng
05-27-2012, 02:40 AM
If you read or quoted my entire post you would see that I said anything could happen. I don't think Mirai is a great example because she did win a Senior National title, went to the Olympics, and Worlds, which is enviable regardless. Has she fufilled her full potential? Did Sasha? No, but she hasn't exactly faded away and I think motivation and poor training habits are more her problem than puberty or anything else. Gracie is older and seems different. Michelle Kwan made it from sixteen on.....I am not saying she is the next Michelle, but she has potential to be great a did prove herself this year through an immense amount of expectations and pressure. I think she is a great skater and if she only ever wins a junior title and a JW medal she would still have been impressive to me. Why such hate towards someone who could be the next big American skater?

Good question!! Probably because she does seem different. She already seems menally stronger then the senior girls. She competed against the World Champion, World silver medalist and World Bronze medalist and did very well at the WTT. I don't think Alissa (even if she didn't have her injury) would have done that well as she has always been really inconsistent. Mirai just looks like she has lost the will to skate. I think some of these people just don't want some young girl to be the one that does better then these two.

RD
05-27-2012, 03:14 AM
At the end of the day, I don't see that many differences between what Alissa did and what Rachael did. Both were skating like crap prior to Worlds and showed up competing what they practiced. One had a known issue she thought she could handle and the other says she didn't know what was going on and chose to ignore it and deal with it until after worlds. Credit where credit is due, Rachael did say she had been practicing well at home. If we are giving Alissa the benefit of the doubt, then I see no reason not to extend it to Rachael as well. It's not as if skaters don't compete injured all the time. Both put themselves first and chose to compete...

Right...exactly.

And in both cases it backfired mightily. They may have put themselves first in making the decision, but said decision ended up sending their respective careers further south.

VALuvsMKwan
05-27-2012, 06:26 AM

I did!

As did I.