PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

jlai
05-26-2012, 03:49 AM
US Ladies have not EARNED those 3 spots for several years now, and their lack of consistency has cause this, not just any one skater any given year. Sorry if that burns some of you, but that's it. Maybe we'll get them back next year, maybe we won't, we'll have to see what happens.

Given how long the golden age lasted (1995-2005), a slump in US ladies post-Kween and Cohen was somewhat expected. The Russian ladies also experienced a slump and it was worse than the US in 2007-8. However, I thought, like US female gymnastics (which went downhill post Atlanta and came back in 2000 Olympics), the US ladies would rebound in the next Olympic cycle. US ladies showed signs of rebounding three years in a row (Nagasu 4th in the Olympics, Czisny GPF champ and Wagner 4CC champ), but as soon as US built momentum, the momentum came to a halt at worlds three years in a row because of poor timing, luck, difference between national and ISU judging/calling, and lack of federation policies re: when things go wrong, inertia... Every time your momentum is gone, then the team's confidence is in turn affected, and then the team has to build momentum all over again.
:(

I do believe US ladies will be able to turn things around, if not next year, then the next O cycle (surely all the bad energy and Karma should be gone by then?). They do need a leader for that to happen though.

Mevrouw
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Something to remember is that the tear probably didn't happen in one go. It probably started from one jump or twist, then gradually got worse during the spring. Since she won Nationals, it likely wasn't as torn at that time, but tore more from the competitions and practices leading to Worlds and the comp right before that. (ETA - 2nd at Nats)

The labrum is a sort of rim that finishes off the hip socket and holds the ball of the leg bone in the socket. When it tears, it eventually can't keep the ball centred in the socket and there is slippage whenever it is subjected to stress - like torsion and pressure from landing jumps. As this happens, the weight is no longer centered over the bones and the muscles are not enough to hold on. So the skater's weight shifts too far and she falls.

Make a fist and cover it with the cupped hand/spread fingers of the other hand - like a lid. That's essentially the hip joint. Now imagine a strip of elastic fabric wrapped around the joint at the bottom of the fingers and heel of the hand - that's the labrum that helps hold fist so it can't slip out. If it tears, the ball (fist) can slip so much that the weight transfer goes off centre, even if the ball doesn't dislocate.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Because she is talented and could be great. You don't have to be the conductor of the Gracie for Gold in Sochi train, but I think some of your points are very off base. And for every burnout their is a Michelle, Tara, Sarah Hughes, etc. I think she the real deal, if she's not, then she's not, but at least make valid unbiased points about a skater that had an exceptional year and should be proud of herself regardless if she never won another medal again. :)

What points of mine are "very off base"? What points are invalid or biased? You're just upset because I'm not jumping on the Gracie bandwagon. Who cares? If you have so much faith in her, other's opinions shouldn't bother you.

Also, just because you live in the same area as Mirai and took lessons from Frank Caroll and Fassi, etc. and observed Mirai on the ice does not make you an expert on Mirai's training or give you any insight into her motivation!

back to Czisny's injury.................

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Every time your momentum is gone, then the team's confidence is in turn affected, and then the team has to build momentum all over again.
:(

They do need a leader for that to happen though.

Please, this is not a team sport! It's every man/woman for his/her self.

tarotx
05-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Except that it's not or Rachel wouldn't have been called out and fined. The stress of getting those spots for the country also wouldn't be there if this really was every man/woman for themselves. Plus it's really a team sport now what with there being a team competition in the Olympics.

ratatouille
05-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I wish all the best to Alissa. Have a good rest and we fans are all waiting for her to be back.

carriemarie
05-26-2012, 06:14 PM
What points of mine are "very off base"? What points are invalid or biased? You're just upset because I'm not jumping on the Gracie bandwagon. Who cares? If you have so much faith in her, other's opinions shouldn't bother you.

Also, just because you live in the same area as Mirai and took lessons from Frank Caroll and Fassi, etc. and observed Mirai on the ice does not make you an expert on Mirai's training or give you any insight into her motivation!

back to Czisny's injury.................

Umm...seeing her actually train would give me insight into a lot, perhaps not her motivation, but calm down.....I was an actual nationally ranked figure skater and have some insight to the sport. I am not some woman sitting behind my computer speculating (not implying you or anyone else is). I have seen the best in the world train. I have seen the most talented train (ie Bowman and Bobek) and I don't see the same motivation of that of some of the World's elite. Perhaps I mispoke about knowing all of Mirai's personal thoughts and motivations. This was my personal opinion of the situation.
Besides it is obvious you have a biased against Gracie. That's fine.
I think she is good and I was never on the bandwagon of Tara, Sarah Hughes, Courtney Hicks, or Kimmie when they won their junior titles (or silver in Tara's case) I see something special, you don't

Anyhow, best wishes to Alissa and her recovery as she is a lovely skater and person and I do wish her success and hope she comes back strong. I have been a fan of both her and her sister Amber since I used to compete against them at Regionals......

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Besides it is obvious you have a biased against Gracie. That's fine.

Alright, so then, using your logic, you are biased against Mirai.

carriemarie
05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Alright, so then, using your logic, you are biased against Mirai.

She's okay. When she is on, she is great when she's not well........... I am not biased she just certainly isn't my favorite. Ashley Wagner has always been my favorite (of the current crop of ladies) I have loved Alissa for years, love Caroline, like Agnes okay, and enjoy Gracie and Ashley Cain. I am not a fan of Rachael Flatt, Christina Gao, or Vanessa Lam. I do like Leah Keiser a lot. And Polina Edmunds in junior. I also love the girl that won Novice Karen Chen? She is wonderful. Mirai has never been my favorite or someone I disliked. If she can produce then good for her. I really do wish her the best, I just hope the coaching change gels for her. She is a talented young lady. I am not saying let's wait and see, because in my mind she has already produced an Olympic and Worlds berth and a National title. She is like Sasha to me. Fabulous (not as fab as Sasha), but I have no faith in her. She was falling on ridiculous jumps since like intermediate (Sasha not Mirai). Neither have the spirit of a true champ like Carolina Kostner did this year or Akiko Suziki (sp?). Mirai had the spirit of someone who was just going through the motions and if it's skating isn't in her heart anymore, then that is okay. I have seen many skaters quit too soon and stay too long. Even Alissa, with her horrible Worlds disaster kept fighting. I am not saying she is reliable or that I don't clutch my armrest in the stands everytime I see her skate, but I feel more love of skating from her than Mirai, but I do wish her the best. You just seem angry my personal feelings and opinions don't line up with yours. It's okay, not everyone agrees and I am sure you are knowledgeable about skating, I am just telling you I am not making up these things to be a Mirai hater or Gracie fangurl. I have been around a long time in this sport and I am already giving myself away too much by revealing what I have because I don't want my identity to be known.
Like I said, I wish Alissa and Mirai only good things and am happy the Gracie is part of the US team.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
You just seem angry my personal feelings and opinions don't line up with yours. It's okay, not everyone agrees and I am sure you are knowledgeable about skating.

I don't care if your personal feelings and opinions line up with mine! You were the one accusing me of being "very off base", with "invalid points" and "biases".

Now as far as Alissa goes, I wish her well and a full recovery, but I don't believe the story she and her team have put out there to explain the World's debacle. I'm sure some people will buy it, I don't.

Iceman
05-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Were all the falls at Worlds the straw that broke the camel's back (that is caused the tear to finally be completed) or did she have the injury before she went to Worlds.?
Is this injury peculiar to American ladies (which would be strange)? I don't think I have heard of it happening to skaters from other countries . Would be interested to know who, if any, non american ladies have had this injury too.

I hope her MRI was a MRI Arthrogram. This is an enhanced MRI were they inject fluid into your hip , and if there is a tear the fluid will leak into areas it does not belong. This is the best test for the confirmation of Labral tears.

kwanfan1818
05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Now as far as Alissa goes, I wish her well and a full recovery, but I don't believe the story she and her team have put out there to explain the World's debacle.
I'm sure her heart bleeds borscht over this.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm sure her heart bleeds borscht over this.

You can be as sarcastic as you want, but you'd have to be a fool to believe their nonsense.

kwanfan1818
05-26-2012, 09:39 PM
You mean the nonsense that is substantiated by science?

centerpt1
05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
1. Alissa is not Rachael. (and I still put the majority of blame on Tom Z as Rachael was only 18)
2 Yuka and Jason are not Tom Z. (I hope they are more ethical. On the other hand, their two top skaters suffered overuse injuries this year, so they may be going down that dark ego path)
3 I hope Alissa makes it back to competition. If not, I hope she recovers to the point she can do shows, and include her amazing spins.