PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Because that was the first time all season that Gracie didn't nail her LP. And because she's a great jumper with great technique. Most of the Senior Ladies are not great jumpers or they are headcases like Agnes. So yes we will have to see how she pans out but she seems to have something a lot of the other girls don't have.

And landed a lot more triples than Alissa at Worlds........Ashley didn't nail her SP or LP everytime this year and Gracie has proven (aside from a few mistakes-double axel at nationals, anyone?) she can live up to the pressure and hype. This can all change she can easily fall into the Cindy Bortz, Deanna Stellato, Naomi Nam, Lisa Ervin category, but at this point, seeing her in person she has gone through puberty and seems to have a fierce mental spirit.

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Such as unreasonably high expectations by some fans and media folks? :saint:

But that is why I appreciate her. She had the hype. She had the junior title locked up by fans and media in August. Reminds me of Tara. But, oh wait, Tara didn't win the title Sydne Vogel did. It's a moot point because, duh, Tara won the Olympics and Sydne Vogel won some pewter medals, I think. But I am just saying she was impressive and delivered when necessary when someone as fierce and successful cracked under early pressure at Nationals and Junior Worlds.

MacMadame
05-26-2012, 12:22 AM
The send off show was actually before nationals.
Then her performance there can't be explained by this injury since she came to Nationals and delivered decent programs and had some great practices. If you take that performance off the table, then we can see that the injury really only started to be a factor much closer to Worlds.

I wonder if this would even be a discussion had Flatt not talked about her injury last year.
Do you really wonder? :lol:

People love to over-generalize. Omaha announces they won't have a shuttle and that means no Nationals from now on will have them including ones (SJ) that said they would have one and did in fact have one. Flatt skates injured at Worlds without telling anyone and bombs. Now everyone who bombs at Worlds must have had an injury they knew about but wouldn't admit to.

Of course, before Czisny announced she'd been diagnosed with this injury, many people were screaming about what a basket case she was and how could she not know what was wrong with her jumps?!?!

The irony is that this announcement explains everything we've seen since Champions Cup (or whatever that comp is called). It explains her being so perplexed as to why she couldn't land her jumps at Worlds. It explains why she felt less than prepared coming into Worlds (as she recently lost her jumps for no reason she could see and so didn't have things like back-to-back run throughs under her belt).

The thing is, if she'd gotten the MRI before Worlds, she wouldn't have skated at Worlds because she would know what the outcome would be and she'd know that putting in a performance like that at Worlds would be a major setback for her career. Only someone who didn't know they had a torn labrum would have skated there.

and Gracie has proven (aside from a few mistakes-double axel at nationals, anyone?) she can live up to the pressure and hype.
I'm sorry but Gold hasn't been to enough serious competitions to prove anything about her consistency and how she lives up to the pressure. One great season and pressure-filled comp (Jr. Worlds) once the world started noticing her doesn't *prove* anything. She needs to have a consistent season next year -- when the pressure will be on to repeat what she did this season only at the Senior level.

These conversations about Gold remind me of the conversations about Mirai after she won Juniors over Zhang. Everyone was posting how Mirai was the real deal and she wouldn't have issues with puberty because her jump technique was so good. Except then she grew a lot which threw off her jumps and also struggled with motivation and focus.

I sure hope that doesn't happen to Gold but it's too soon to say she has things that she hasn't demonstrated yet let alone that she's *proven* she has those things.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=kwanfan1818;3578525]Skaters can fall five times because their blades have been mounted incorrectly by a fraction.

QUOTE]

Yah, that's the ticket. The Czisny team should use this as the excuse.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm impressed you remember it now since you thought she only landed two triples to begin with.

It really wasn't that memorable.

Sylvia
05-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Then her performance there can't be explained by this injury since she came to Nationals and delivered decent programs and had some great practices. If you take that performance off the table, then we can see that the injury really only started to be a factor much closer to Worlds.
For what it's worth, Czisny went to Colorado Springs during Four Continents and this practice tidbit was included in the Feb. 10, 2012 blog by Sarah and Drew on IN (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120210&content_id=26653562&vkey=ice_news):

On the other rink at the Ice Hall, Alissa Czisny was hard at work on a busy open freestyle session. She was drilling triple lutz-triple toe combinations, and landed some great ones.
The Challenge Cup competition in The Hague took place March 8-11, 2012.

carriemarie
05-26-2012, 02:14 AM

People love to over-generalize. Omaha announces they won't have a shuttle and that means no Nationals from now on will have them including ones (SJ) that said they would have one and did in fact have one. Flatt skates injured at Worlds without telling anyone and bombs. Now everyone who bombs at Worlds must have had an injury they knew about but wouldn't admit to.

Of course, before Czisny announced she'd been diagnosed with this injury, many people were screaming about what a basket case she was and how could she not know what was wrong with her jumps?!?!

The irony is that this announcement explains everything we've seen since Champions Cup (or whatever that comp is called). It explains her being so perplexed as to why she couldn't land her jumps at Worlds. It explains why she felt less than prepared coming into Worlds (as she recently lost her jumps for no reason she could see and so didn't have things like back-to-back run throughs under her belt).

The thing is, if she'd gotten the MRI before Worlds, she wouldn't have skated at Worlds because she would know what the outcome would be and she'd know that putting in a performance like that at Worlds would be a major setback for her career. Only someone who didn't know they had a torn labrum would have skated there.

I'm sorry but Gold hasn't been to enough serious competitions to prove anything about her consistency and how she lives up to the pressure. One great season and pressure-filled comp (Jr. Worlds) once the world started noticing her doesn't *prove* anything. She needs to have a consistent season next year -- when the pressure will be on to repeat what she did this season only at the Senior level.

These conversations about Gold remind me of the conversations about Mirai after she won Juniors over Zhang. Everyone was posting how Mirai was the real deal and she wouldn't have issues with puberty because her jump technique was so good. Except then she grew a lot which threw off her jumps and also struggled with motivation and focus.

I sure hope that doesn't happen to Gold but it's too soon to say she has things that she hasn't demonstrated yet let alone that she's *proven* she has those things.

If you read or quoted my entire post you would see that I said anything could happen. I don't think Mirai is a great example because she did win a Senior National title, went to the Olympics, and Worlds, which is enviable regardless. Has she fufilled her full potential? Did Sasha? No, but she hasn't exactly faded away and I think motivation and poor training habits are more her problem than puberty or anything else. Gracie is older and seems different. Michelle Kwan made it from sixteen on.....I am not saying she is the next Michelle, but she has potential to be great a did prove herself this year through an immense amount of expectations and pressure. I think she is a great skater and if she only ever wins a junior title and a JW medal she would still have been impressive to me. Why such hate towards someone who could be the next big American skater?

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=carriemarie;3578640] Michelle Kwan made it from sixteen on.....I am not saying she is the next Michelle, but she has potential to be great a did prove herself this year through an immense amount of expectations and pressure. I think she is a great skater and if she only ever wins a junior title and a JW medal she would still have been impressive to me. QUOTE]

Michelle was much younger than Gracie when she hit the Senior scene.

Yes, kudos to Gracie for the junior title and a JW medal. If that is all she ever achieves it is something to be proud of. But beyond that, the over-the-top hype from some posters on this board is nauseating.

Theatregirl1122
05-26-2012, 02:23 AM
As someone who genuinely isn't a fan of Gracie at all, I have heard 10 people talking about how annoying her ubers are for every one uber.

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 02:38 AM
No, but she hasn't exactly faded away and I think motivation and poor training habits are more her problem than puberty or anything else.

How do you know this?

demetriosj
05-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Why such hate towards someone who could be the next big American skater?

Why is any criticism, comment, or lack of jumping on the Gracie bandwagon by anyone construed as "hate"?

Yazmeen
05-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Moreover, that would be unethical and illegal in the US. MRI's can only be owned by physicians/medical facilities. MRIs can only be done on a physician's orders. X-rays would NEVER be ordered on young female athletes just to monitor their condition. EVER. Especially, X-rays of their hips and pelvis. EVER. Neither should be ordered without due cause. An MRI cost around $1,000 per scan and there has to be a medically viable reason. Assuring their fitness to compete in a figure skating event doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.

It's pointless pointing out reason. Those that want to blame Alissa for all the US ladies results over the last 8 years will skirt around anything that doesn't support their POV.

Maybe they need an MRI of their head. :saint:

THIS!!!!! May I also back up rfisher here by noting that I could NEVER, EVER perform any imaging study without an order from a physician or other qualified healthcare professional. To do so is serious malpractice.

This entire discussion is getting ridiculous. Yes, we get it, as far as some of you are concerned, Alissa hid an injury, she screwed us out of our "DESERVED" 3 spots, sending ANYONE else out of the top 8 US ladies would have guaranteed those spots, Gracie Gold will ABSOLUTELY get those spots back next year, involuntary imaging studies should be performed on any skater who suddenly isn't skating as well as usual, have I missed anything here?

US Ladies have not EARNED those 3 spots for several years now, and their lack of consistency has cause this, not just any one skater any given year. Sorry if that burns some of you, but that's it. Maybe we'll get them back next year, maybe we won't, we'll have to see what happens.

carriemarie
05-26-2012, 03:06 AM
How do you know this?

Because I am from the same area and have seen some of her habits. These are my thoughts. I was an actual serious competitive skater and those were my observations. I have actually taken from Frank Carroll, Christa Fassi, and the late Carlo Fassi plus Irina Rodinin and Peter Oppegard, so I think I have some insight. Not into Mirai's brain, but into training and dedication. No offense to Mirai, who is a true, true talent and has much potential, but I have been around the sport for quite a long time and in a capacity that makes me feel like I can say what I think with a knowledge of skating (not saying you don't but your Gracie 'dislike' is a bit intense)

carriemarie
05-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Why is any criticism, comment, or lack of jumping on the Gracie bandwagon by anyone construed as "hate"?

Because she is talented and could be great. You don't have to be the conductor of the Gracie for Gold in Sochi train, but I think some of your points are very off base. And for every burnout their is a Michelle, Tara, Sarah Hughes, etc. I think she the real deal, if she's not, then she's not, but at least make valid unbiased points about a skater that had an exceptional year and should be proud of herself regardless if she never won another medal again. :)

kwanfan1818
05-26-2012, 03:37 AM

Actually, yes: I would have thought had Flatt not admitted to injury last year, there would be calls for mandatory psychiatric evaluations for all US Ladies, in addition to public re-education.