PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Injured before Worlds or after, it doesn't matter. She is clearly done herself the most harm by her performance and placement and will be replaced by Gold, Zhang, and/or Zadawaski. If she would have pulled out before Worlds and they sent Agnes, I am not sure she would have secured three spots. She would have been better than 22, but she is not exactly known for her consistency in her long and eighth place would have required a pretty great performance from her. Same with Zhang. Nagusu has been relatively unimpressive, but is the only one who I think could have really done it if well trained and motivated. Even Gold would have to had skated the lights out to place top eight due to her relatively unknown status internationally plus the fact that USFSA would have had to completely skip over all other world alternates to send her. Cziny hurt the US for next year, but caused more damage to her own career, IMO. Hopefully, next year we can secure three spots for the worlds and Olys, but I feel like we have been in this two spot situation for a while now, so I am not exactly shocked.

RD
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Cziny hurt the US for next year, but caused more damage to her own career, IMO.

I agree.

MacMadame
05-25-2012, 09:14 PM
ITA!!! When she struggled at her competition prior to Worlds, I would think that she would have questioned why she didn't land any jumps. It wasn't like it was a major competition such as Nationals or Worlds. I wouldn't think she would have been really nervous yet she couldn't land a jump. A person would just instinctively know something wasn't right.
But, if they weren't in pain, they wouldn't necessary immediately think what wasn't right was injury and it was only 2 weeks between CC and Worlds, which isn't a lot of time to figure out what is wrong.

What is kind of fishy to me is that this ailment is being portrayed both as:
1. The cause of the bad skate at Worlds
2. Completely undetectable at the time of Worlds
Seems to be one of the two can be true but not both.
And yet a simple Google search or just reading the explanations in this thread shows that in fact both can be true and often are true with this sort of injury.

Enough elite skaters have had this problem that it is probably time for some big donor to pony up and send the USFSA an MRI machine.
:rolleyes: Yeah, it's a wonderful use of USFS funds to own an MRI machine and fly skaters to it on a regular basis because we can name a handful of skaters since the late 1990s who have had this particular injury.

Now, if you want to argue that it should be standard protocol for an elite skater to get an MRI if they have any type of pain, even if it's not the kind of pain that would normally result in an MRI or even that they should get one every X months pain or no pain, you might have a dependable argument.

Though making all elite skaters get an MRI every time they have jump issues or once a season no matter what seems like a colossal waste of money, time and resources to me. There are probably better ways to get to handle this issue than forced MRIs for everyone!

Pingu, perhaps you could help out with this one: I get that the injury might not have been painful up until recently, but could it really have been causing Czisny to lose her jumps four months prior to the MRI (early January) but remaining otherwise unnoticed?

Except her jumps weren't particularly shaky at Nationals. So it wasn't really an issue until CC and the Worlds send-off show. (Not sure which happened first but they were all within a short period of time.)

Injury is a tricky thing. Even if you break a bone, you might not realize it. People break bones in their feet and hands all the time without ever knowing it (the damage is found years later when they get an x-ray for another problem). Some injuries aren't that serious yet can be very painful. Some are very serious but not necessarily that painful. Sometimes people think they have one injury because they have symptoms they've had before but it turns out it's another (for example, runners think they have shin splints when they have stress fractures).

You know, sometimes sh!t just happens. It can't be planned for or prevented. This is one of those cases.

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I mean, Michelle Kwan hid an injury and boot problems for a really long time in 1998. She performed like a champ under pressure, so would we be applauding Alissa for her courage if she skated great while injured? I know the point is she didn't, but she isn't the first skater to perform with a hidden injury. It sucks that she skated like she did, but she tried all her triples (but didn't land any), so it didn't seem like she was in pain or knew she was injured, JMO, but I think it is more an excuse to cover her poor performance than a conspiracy by her camp to skate injured. It backfired and I wouldn't be shocked if she got the Flatt treatment next year or retires.

Theatregirl1122
05-25-2012, 10:06 PM
The send off show was actually before nationals.

rfisher
05-25-2012, 10:22 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah, it's a wonderful use of USFS funds to own an MRI machine and fly skaters to it on a regular basis because we can name a handful of skaters since the late 1990s who have had this particular injury.

Now, if you want to argue that it should be standard protocol for an elite skater to get an MRI if they have any type of pain, even if it's not the kind of pain that would normally result in an MRI or even that they should get one every X months pain or no pain, you might have a dependable argument.

Moreover, that would be unethical and illegal in the US. MRI's can only be owned by physicians/medical facilities. MRIs can only be done on a physician's orders. X-rays would NEVER be ordered on young female athletes just to monitor their condition. EVER. Especially, X-rays of their hips and pelvis. EVER. Neither should be ordered without due cause. An MRI cost around $1,000 per scan and there has to be a medically viable reason. Assuring their fitness to compete in a figure skating event doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.

It's pointless pointing out reason. Those that want to blame Alissa for all the US ladies results over the last 8 years will skirt around anything that doesn't support their POV.

Maybe they need an MRI of their head. :saint:

demetriosj
05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Gracie doesn't need much more to beat Caroline in my opinion. Her scores at the WTT show that the judges already think highly of her and she has some of the toughest combo jumps in the World already and she's showed that she is consistent. Some smoothing out of her skating and she's in the top 2 if she keeps landing her jumps which most of the Senior US girls can't seem to do.

Really? That's a tall order. Her long program at WTT was not impressive. Kind of a 'meh' program. Lots of mistakes and poor artistry. I think she messed up on at least three of her triple attempts. So how does that show that she is consistent? & what makes you so sure that she can continue to consistently land these tough jumps when everyone else has trouble? You make it sound as if she is the only one in the world who has ever landed those combinations. I know everyone wants a savior for US ladies, but please, she is not Superwoman. She's only competed at one Senior level competition (Cheesefest) where everyone skated poorly. So sick of the hype.....

Also, thought this was the Czisny injury thread!

demetriosj
05-25-2012, 10:38 PM
As for Gracie Gold, well- jury's still out on her. At least she gets 2 GP assignments and a possible shot at the GPF if she impresses. I think it is way too soon to know who the frontrunners are for the 2013 US world team. Last year, who would have had Wagner on the list?

It COULD be Gold...it COULD be Wagner...it COULD be Zhang...it could even be Nagasu or Zawadzki (don't laugh).

It could be a dark horse.

pingu
05-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Moreover, that would be unethical and illegal in the US. MRI's can only be owned by physicians/medical facilities. MRIs can only be done on a physician's orders. X-rays would NEVER be ordered on young female athletes just to monitor their condition. EVER. Especially, X-rays of their hips and pelvis. EVER. Neither should be ordered without due cause. An MRI cost around $1,000 per scan and there has to be a medically viable reason. Assuring their fitness to compete in a figure skating event doesn't even come close to meeting that criteria.

It's pointless pointing out reason. Those that want to blame Alissa for all the US ladies results over the last 8 years will skirt around anything that doesn't support their POV.

Maybe they need an MRI of their head. :saint:

I completely agree

kwanfan1818
05-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Skaters can fall five times because their blades have been mounted incorrectly by a fraction.

I wonder if this would even be a discussion had Flatt not talked about her injury last year.

Theatregirl1122
05-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Really? That's a tall order. Her long program at WTT was not impressive. Kind of a 'meh' program. Lots of mistakes and poor artistry. I think she messed up on at least three of her triple attempts. So how does that show that she is consistent? & what makes you so sure that she can continue to consistently land these tough jumps when everyone else has trouble? You make it sound as if she is the only one in the world who has ever landed those combinations. I know everyone wants a savior for US ladies, but please, she is not Superwoman. She's only competed at one Senior level competition (Cheesefest) where everyone skated poorly. So sick of the hype.....

I'm impressed you remember it now since you thought she only landed two triples to begin with.

Jammers
05-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Because that was the first time all season that Gracie didn't nail her LP. And because she's a great jumper with great technique. Most of the Senior Ladies are not great jumpers or they are headcases like Agnes. So yes we will have to see how she pans out but she seems to have something a lot of the other girls don't have.

RD
05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Again, let's not count our chickens with her.

I thought she did ok, though, especially considering the short notice she had, and that she was competing junior all season long.

Sylvia
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
So yes we will have to see how she pans out but she seems to have something a lot of the other girls don't have.
Such as unreasonably high expectations by some fans and media folks? :saint:

RD
05-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Such as unreasonably high expectations by some fans and media folks? :saint:

!