PDA

View Full Version : Czisny to undergo surgery for torn labrum in left hip

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Marco
05-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Didn't she just mention something about "MRI" on her facebook 2 weeks ago?

jlai
05-25-2012, 05:41 AM
why does the USFSA have to 'guess'? can't they just judge what is on the ice?

I didn't really mean for judges to guess (I put the words in quotes; I meant they are basically using nationals to predict the best skaters at worlds). I think they should judge what is on the ice.

Didn't she just mention something about "MRI" on her facebook 2 weeks ago?

Yes, I have trouble believing that she made that up.

skfan
05-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm not buying the whole "Oh, I didn't know I was injured" bit at all. Yes, I read the posts explaining that you don't feel the pain till later. But the timing of it all is just a liiiiiiittle too convenient. I'm thinking she knew damn well she was injured and sat on the information for the appropriate amount of time to avoid ending up like Rachael. Flame away.

the timing is convenient to avert a flatt-like reaction from USFS.

the medical professionals who know AC's specific situation are prohibited by confidentiality laws and can't tell. aside from AC's doctors, only team AC know. i doubt that it's in team AC's interest to tell more than what was already printed in hersh's soft ball article (as opposed to the hard-ball he played with rachael flatt last year).

the MRI date by itself doesn't prove anything to me, because people can know something is off and put off a test. hope springs eternal. i'm sure rachael was hoping she could gut it out at last year's worlds... and hold it together in the aftermath so that USFS wouldn't treat her as it has.

Ozzisk8tr
05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Oh that's right, I forgot the Alissa performed at worlds like she did on purpose cause that's how you want people to see you. :rolleyes:

ballettmaus
05-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Seriously, Alissa bombed almost every comp the past several months. She didn't get 4C's so went to another where she fell and didn't land any triples.

But we don't know how she did in practice in between, do we? She could have had better practices because there's less stress and her muscles were more relaxed, so they could have all thought that the performances she put in at competitions was just nerves. After all, her bombing at competitions is, unfortunately, not unheard of and I would think she would have sought out some kind of advice from a doctor or otherwise had she had the same problems in practice.
Another factor is that athletes are used to toughen it out. You don't react to every pain instantly because your body is likely to hurt from something somewhere anyway. Maybe you have a physical therapist work on it, but it can be quite a while before a doctor ever sees something that causes you pain. She's also used to her jumps being inconsistent, so if she wasn't in any (severe) pain, and practices went fairly well/normal for her, I think it's very likely she assumed nothing was wrong health wise.

demetriosj
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not buying the whole "Oh, I didn't know I was injured" bit at all. Yes, I read the posts explaining that you don't feel the pain till later. But the timing of it all is just a liiiiiiittle too convenient. I'm thinking she knew damn well she was injured and sat on the information for the appropriate amount of time to avoid ending up like Rachael. Flame away.

Totally agree. & Phil Hersh just goes right along with this baloney, no real, hard questions asked.....

jlai
05-25-2012, 01:36 PM
But we don't know how she did in practice in between, do we? She could have had better practices because there's less stress and her muscles were more relaxed, so they could have all thought that the performances she put in at competitions was just nerves. After all, her bombing at competitions is, unfortunately, not unheard of and I would think she would have sought out some kind of advice from a doctor or otherwise had she had the same problems in practice.
Another factor is that athletes are used to toughen it out. You don't react to every pain instantly because your body is likely to hurt from something somewhere anyway. Maybe you have a physical therapist work on it, but it can be quite a while before a doctor ever sees something that causes you pain. She's also used to her jumps being inconsistent, so if she wasn't in any (severe) pain, and practices went fairly well/normal for her, I think it's very likely she assumed nothing was wrong health wise.

Reports here seem to indicate bad.practices. But I agree with your second point

Frau Muller
05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not buying the whole "Oh, I didn't know I was injured" bit at all. .... Flame away.

Fly On The Wall, you are spot on. The NBC-Universal/USFS/SOI-Scott H "conglomerate" had so much hype and hope pinned on Czisny that they wanted to ensure that their "IT Girl with the Big Teeth" made it to Worlds. She went - she skated - she bombed. [Scotty and Sandra decided to sit-out Worlds coverage and left the 'voiceover commentaries' to Andrea Joyce and the B Team, once they knew that the "IT Girl" had ended in 22nd place.] Now come the excuses and the Mop-up. :lol:

With her skills this season and recent experience gained in sr-level comps, Zawadsky would most certainly have ended up in a much-higher placement than 22nd at Worlds...and had a great chance of earning the US its 3rd spot for next yr's Worlds, given that Ashley ended up 4th.

Frau Muller
05-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I was actually thinking in terms of 2 ladies at Worlds; my point was that NONE of the current ladies can be counted upon to score well enough to bring in 3 spots .....

Sorry, you're wrong but predictable.

Yazmeen
05-25-2012, 03:21 PM
We'll have to disagree then. CAN they score well enough to bring in 3 spots? Of course, they can. But can they be counted upon to do so? No, they haven't demonstrated that kind of consistency.

A good backup to my point about inconsistent US ladies is that none of the recent US champions have managed to defend their title since Kwan left the scene. Look at the top US ladies of the past few years: Nagasu has been on downward slide for 2 years and doesn't appear to like to practice and work hard. Flatt seems to only have jumps going for her in the judges eyes, and those have not been in top condition since last year. Zawadski and Czisny are both headcases when the pressure is on and cannot be counted upon to put two clean programs together (or even pick it up and finish strong after mistakes like Cohen could do). Wagner still cannot consistently do clean short programs and continues to two-foot jumps even though this was a breakthrough season. And Zhang went downhill after juniors but appears to be reversing the trajectory. All of these women are extremely talented, but in each case, have not demonstrated the kind of consistency we had with Kwan, Lipinski, Cohen, Hughes (Sara) where we knew that meltdowns and disasters or bad enough skating that would cost 3 spots at Worlds was highly unlikely.

Is there promise in US ladies, including up and comers like Gold? Very much so. My main point here is contrarian to those angry at Alissa who just seemed determined that if we had sent someone else, we DEFINITELY would have gotten those 3 spots back. With our ladies records, while it may have been possible, it definitely was not definite. Consistency is the missing key.

jlai
05-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I dont think you can compare consistency pre-cop and cop. As I said before, consistent skaters like Hughes amd Kwan would have gotten jumps and spins downgraded, making them less consistent by cop standards. The only cop skater who was somewha t consistent was Sasha. But only because she had a reliable sp record. In fact a sp record is key as none of the topladies worldwide has a decent lp record
I also think Wagner is somewhat consistent. She is seldom super, but she doesnt bomb that often either. The problem is her less than stellar sp record.

milanessa
05-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Sorry, you're wrong but predictable.

:rofl: Talk about predictable...

Yazmeen
05-25-2012, 04:28 PM
I dont think you can compare consistency pre-cop and cop. As I said before, consistent skaters like Hughes amd Kwan would have gotten jumps and spins downgraded, making them less consistent by cop standards. The only cop skater who was somewha t consistent was Sasha. But only because she had a reliable sp record. In fact a sp record is key as none of the topladies worldwide has a decent lp record
I also think Wagner is somewhat consistent. She is seldom super, but she doesnt bomb that often either. The problem is her less than stellar sp record.

Right now, Wagner seems our best hope for Nationals/Worlds next year. I think Zhang also has a really strong chance at being on the World team. I think of all the ladies they have the most "want it, will work my tush off to get it" mentality right now.

Re: Gold: we'll see, she is terrific, and I can possibly see her on the podium, but top 2, not so much. PCS is the issue here, will be very interesting to see what she does over the summer, how she improves.

PDilemma
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Re: Gold: we'll see, she is terrific, and I can possibly see her on the podium, but top 2, not so much. PCS is the issue here, will be very interesting to see what she does over the summer, how she improves.

It's hopeless. Her teeth aren't big enough to suit USFSA. Haven't you been reading the thread? :yikes:

Yazmeen
05-25-2012, 05:00 PM
It's hopeless. Her teeth aren't big enough to suit USFSA. Haven't you been reading the thread? :yikes:

Maybe we should bring back "Fancy Kerrigan..." :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagSGZeIo44