PDA

View Full Version : Coffee that doesn't have that burned taste...and is sold at Safeway

Pages : [1] 2

barbk
05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Mini-Barbk has figured out that the bags of Starbucks coffee we buy (House Blend) tase burned to her. She wants coffee that is moderately strong (because she dumps creamer into it - blech) but not highly acidic and without the burned notes she can taste in the Starbucks. The only grocery store near her campus (she's carless when she goes back to school) is Safeway, so it has to be something available there. I don't want to end up with a bunch of partially used bags of coffee...any suggestions on what to buy to try? (She loved the old Cost Plus "Island Blend" that they used to carry, but they discontinued it about two years ago...I think they dropped a Kona bean or two into each bag, or at least flew the bags around some island. ;) )

Suggestions?

Your friend, who has a fine palate for Darjeeling,
barbk

Aceon6
05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
She should be able to find these:
Newman's Special Blend Extra Bold
Green Mountain Dark Magic

barbk
05-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you!

TheGirlCanSkate
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I use instant coffee -for some reason it doesn't have that acid/burned taste. I buy Folgers or Trader Joe's. I also like that I can use my electric tea kettle. It's become an indispensable appliance. :D

aliceanne
05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I find Starbucks coffee bitter myself, but most of the main brands are middle of the road in terms of strength (Maxwell House, Folgers, Luzianne etc.) as long as you don't let them sit too long on the heat. I picked up 7/Eleven coffee once, it seemed weak to me, I had to use more than the other brands.

skatingfan5
05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Starbucks coffee is much too dark a roast for me -- I like my coffee very strong, but only a medium roast, so that that the taste is mellow, not bitter. While I've had some more expensive favorites over the years, for now I can do quite well with Eight O'Clock 100% Colombian whole bean.

Southpaw
05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Chock Full O'Nuts is cheap and tasty.

Grannyfan
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
I love Starbucks but am too cheap to buy it to use at home. I buy Folgers gourmet in the can. It's the darkest of their regular coffees. They also make a gourmet in the bag, but some of them are flavors, which I don't like, and they cost more. Some folks will probably laugh at the combination of "Folgers" and "Gourmet" but I like it fine, and I drink so much it doesn't break the bank.

If you have a coffee maker with a thermal carafe, the coffee doesn't get the old taste and color like it does on the heating plate. My thermal pot didn't keep the coffee as hot as I would have liked, but I just microwaved it in the cup for a few seconds.

A "pound" can of coffee is now down to 10.3 ounces, so I'm probably not getting such a bargain with my cheap Folgers after all.

FigureSpins
05-22-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm with Mini-Barbk about Starbucks tasting burnt. We use Dunkin Donuts coffee.

PRlady
05-22-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm with Mini-Barbk about Starbucks tasting burnt. We use Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Me, too! It's very smooth and goes well with creamer.

Gevalya is now selling its even smoother coffee in supermarkets -- at least I've seen it in Giant, here.

skatingfan5
05-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Me, too! It's very smooth and goes well with creamer.Creamer. {{{shudder}}} :lol:
Gevalya is now selling its even smoother coffee in supermarkets -- at least I've seen it in Giant, here.I tried Gevalia a number of years ago (at least 15 or so) and found it much too light a roast for me. But in checking it out online just now, I see that they have a much larger selection, so perhaps they have something that I would like.

barbk
05-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Okay, I'll start with the Dunkin Donuts coffee, and then try the Chock-Full-O-Nuts. I don't see the Newman's Own or the Green Mountain in bags in our store, just k-cups. Is it sold bagged elsewhere?

PDilemma
05-22-2012, 11:57 PM
If you have a coffee maker with a thermal carafe, the coffee doesn't get the old taste and color like it does on the heating plate. My thermal pot didn't keep the coffee as hot as I would have liked, but I just microwaved it in the cup for a few seconds.

Coffee gets an "old" or bitter taste from sitting on the warmer from being too acidic usually because it is over processed to make the beans or grounds last longer on the shelf. A good coffee would not get that taste regardless of the carafe or heat mechanism in the normal amount of time it takes to drink a pot.

Starbucks has those timers attached to their air pots because their coffee is too acidic and cannot be left out for very long without going bad.

Southpaw
06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
I've had the Melitta European Roast (http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-European-Ground-Coffee-10-5-Ounce/dp/B001E5E0TW) the past couple of days and I think it's worth checking out. It has a touch of hairyness like Starbucks, but it's also smooth and creamy. Tastes like I made it with a French press even though I used an automatic drip.

barbk
06-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Coffee gets an "old" or bitter taste from sitting on the warmer from being too acidic usually because it is over processed to make the beans or grounds last longer on the shelf. A good coffee would not get that taste regardless of the carafe or heat mechanism in the normal amount of time it takes to drink a pot.

Starbucks has those timers attached to their air pots because their coffee is too acidic and cannot be left out for very long without going bad.

We make it cup by cup with an individual Melitta filter, so it never is sitting around (plus which we waste virtually no coffee) -- We tried the Dunkin Donuts coffee and she still didn't like it; next come the chock-full-o-goodness.

I haven't seen the Melitta coffee before.

(Luckily I like iced coffee, and haven't minded any of them with a bit of half and half in them.)