PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sasha'sSpins
09-25-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm surprised with all of the inside :sekret: we have on this board, no one knows whether Nagasu was offered and turned down a second assignment.

True. Still, it's sad Mirai will only be in one GP this year. I hope she comes back strong.

4rkidz
09-25-2012, 03:56 AM
True. Still, it's sad Mirai will only be in one GP this year. I hope she comes back strong.

that is sad.. she is such a beautiful and talented skater and deserves more than that.. :(

Jammers
09-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Mirai has put herself in this situation with two lackluster seasons. This was the time Mirai needed to establish herself as the top US Lady but she's regressed. Her questionable work habits and nerves have really taken their toll on her.

smarts1
09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
^ I don't understand why everyone blaims this solely on Mirai. Ashley for example placed 6th at Nationals in 2011, and had a pretty lackluster season, placing 5th at NHK making numerous mistakes in the FS even if she was battling a pinched nerve or something, and came back to win a bronze medal at COR. Then she made numerous mistakes in the SP at 2011 Nationals (due to a cold) and had an okay LP. She herself even called the 2010-2011 season as "mediocre." Yet she still managed to get 2 GPs the following season when GP entries were reduced also. So then why didn't Mirai get two? She had a very similar season to Ashley's 2010-2011 season last season, and yet only got one and got passed up for a lackluster Christina Gao.

kwanfan1818
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
If you were a host federation, would you want your skaters to compete against Gao or against Nagasu, based on last year's results and scores?

mag
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
^ I don't understand why everyone blaims this solely on Mirai. Ashley for example placed 6th at Nationals in 2011, and had a pretty lackluster season, placing 5th at NHK making numerous mistakes in the FS even if she was battling a pinched nerve or something, and came back to win a bronze medal at COR. Then she made numerous mistakes in the SP at 2011 Nationals (due to a cold) and had an okay LP. She herself even called the 2010-2011 season as "mediocre." Yet she still managed to get 2 GPs the following season when GP entries were reduced also. So then why didn't Mirai get two? She had a very similar season to Ashley's 2010-2011 season last season, and yet only got one and got passed up for a lackluster Christina Gao.

I don't remember the specifics around Ashley, but, IMHO, they are irrelevant. Every year is different and every year brings new skaters to the competition. Perhaps there is more competition this year. Maybe the average score is higher than usual. Who knows? The key thing that every athlete has to realize is that they are completely and totally responsible for their own performance, and they have absolutely no control over anyone else's. Mirai was not having to fight for recognition. She wasn't some unknown trying to get into the final flight so that she would get the PCS she needed to win. She already had all of that. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I think it is more complicated than that, but as far as slogans for the bathroom mirror, I think it is very applicable to this situation.

Pikachuusb
09-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm still hoping that she gets a 2nd Grand Prix somehow. I think for several different reasons Mirai got screwed in the pickings for this Grand Prix season

smarts1
09-25-2012, 11:37 PM
If you were a host federation, would you want your skaters to compete against Gao or against Nagasu, based on last year's results and scores?

My other biggest question, why is selection based on what the host country wants and not who is next on the alternate's list?

Sylvia
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
One likely reason is because the host countries pay for the expenses of the GP skaters they invite.

smarts1
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't remember the specifics around Ashley, but, IMHO, they are irrelevant. Every year is different and every year brings new skaters to the competition. Perhaps there is more competition this year. Maybe the average score is higher than usual. Who knows? The key thing that every athlete has to realize is that they are completely and totally responsible for their own performance, and they have absolutely no control over anyone else's. Mirai was not having to fight for recognition. She wasn't some unknown trying to get into the final flight so that she would get the PCS she needed to win. She already had all of that. I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I think it is more complicated than that, but as far as slogans for the bathroom mirror, I think it is very applicable to this situation.

You are throwing in a lot of variables that are pretty easily verifiable... The competition for GPs for the ladies this season are not much different from what they were a season ago. There was definitely not more competition for spots this year for GP spots. And Mirai also had a higher SB score this season (with a higher season's best ranking) than Ashley did when she received her two GPs.

kwanfan1818
09-25-2012, 11:55 PM
My other biggest question, why is selection based on what the host country wants and not who is next on the alternate's list?
Some stated considerations are cost and visa complications, but I think that if a federation is hosting the event, they should be ready to pay for replacement flights and accommodations as part of the budget for the event. (If an expedited visa is required, then I think the skater's federation should pay for the difference between regular and expedited visa processing.)

I also think the alternates list should go in strict order unless:

1. The number of entries from that country for that discipline is already three.
2. The skater has to travel to another continent for back-to-back events, unless the skater lives/trains in the second continent.
3. It's impossible to get a necessary visa.
4. The skater would miss a required national championship or championship qualifier.

Alternately, strict order, where possible, should be applied to the Top 24 SB list, with the rest being set in groups of five at the start, and the first five on the list (after Top 24 SB) would have to be chosen before the next group was tapped, unless it was impossible.

change of edge
09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Looks like Amelie Lacoste got Yretha's spot at CoC. Still no replacement for TEB...

Marco
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM

If she does well at Finlandia, she will probably get a second invite when someone pulls out.

Marco
09-26-2012, 04:30 PM

If I were a host federation that has a weak ladies discipline with no real medal potential from any of the ladies, I would invite the one that makes the field stronger and is more popular that can sell more tickets.

toddlj
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Looks like Amelie Lacoste got Yretha's spot at CoC. Still no replacement for TEB...

Yes, LaCoste is now "official" on the update from this morning.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-136494-137802-nav-list,00.html

I still highly doubt Czisny will be ready for NHK. Nagasu would seem like an ideal fit there.