PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

kwanfan1818
08-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Sorry, didn't see the quote.

Mrs. P
08-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I really think Mirai's team probably turned it down. Mirai has never been an early season skater and she has little to gain in getting a second event, as she is unlikely to get on GPF and the judges have already proven they're willing to give her good scores when she does well.

Also since she finished outside of the top 5 last year, doesn't she have to go through qualifying now to get to Nationals? Basically if she did TEB, she would end up having to do three competitions in three weeks (Cup of China Nov. 2-4; Pacific Coast Sectionals Nov. 9-13; TEB Nov. 16-18). Although she could get a bye if she did TEB, yes?

Hi, new poster and long-time lurker. (And yes, I'm the same Mrs. P from GS.)

ETA: Sectionals, not regionals.

Tammi
08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Basically if she did TEB, she would end up having to do three competitions in three weeks (Cup of China Nov. 2-4; Pacific Coast Regionals Nov. 9-13; TEB Nov. 16-18). Although she could get a bye if she did TEB, yes?Based on the event dates for Cup of China, she would most likely have to compete at Regionals, but get a bye out of Sectionals (I think you probably meant Sectionals in your post).

Sylvia
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
As of right now, Nagasu is scheduled to compete at her Regional Championships (Southwest Pacific, Oct. 12-16) but should have a bye through the Pacific Coast Sectional Championships to Nationals due to Cup of China being the week before.

I doubt Nagasu and her team would decline a 2nd GP assignment and think it's more likely that the French federation just elected not to choose her.

ETA: Rachael Flatt's Skate America assignment should get her out of her Regionals but it currently appears she will have to compete at Sectionals in order to qualify for Nationals.

RD
08-11-2012, 11:34 PM
ETA: Rachael Flatt's Skate America assignment should get her out of her Regionals but it currently appears she will have to compete at Sectionals in order to qualify for Nationals.

Oh....so she plans to compete at Nationals this year? I thought she was done.

mgobluegirl
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Oh....so she plans to compete at Nationals this year? I thought she was done.

I doubt USFS would have chosen her for SA if she weren't intending to compete this year in the US qualifying season.

euterpe
08-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Rachael has never indicated any intention of hanging up her competitive skates. It's her non-fans who have declared her retired.

pinky166
08-12-2012, 02:23 AM
IMO, Gao got it over Nagasu because Gao is less competition for the French ladies.

And there are already 3 Russian ladies there, so the 3 Russian ladies who each only have 1 assignment but all have higher SB scores than Gao (Shelepen, Biryukova, and Korobeynikova) couldn't be sent. So it was down to Gao or Nagasu and Gao was picked, like you mentioned because it is more likely Silete and Meite can beat her than Nagasu.

Jarrett
08-12-2012, 02:41 AM
I think we should blame the USFSA for Mirai being in this situation at all. USFSA thought they were working the system and Mirai would be a no brainer to be picked up as a replacement. I guess they didn't consider the other feds would play ball too.

(Of course you could say Mirai messed up at Nationals and that is her own fault but that story have been beaten to death.)

shan
08-12-2012, 02:49 AM
In addition to Lysacek, the other 2 Skate America TBA slots have been filled by Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir (their 2nd GP) and Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (their first-ever Grand Prix!):
http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/08/10/lysacek-among-additions-to-2012-hilton-hhonors-skate-america/

:cheer2: Cannuscio/McManus on their first GP!!

jlai
08-12-2012, 02:55 AM
actually I don't think skaters doing regional/sectional instead of GP is a bad thing. Last two seasons, a skater who had to do just that had a breakthrough season (Czisny and then Zhang. ETA: Also Carriere)

mgobluegirl
08-12-2012, 03:30 AM
actually I don't think skaters doing regional/sectional instead of GP is a bad thing. Last two seasons, a skater who had to do just that had a breakthrough season (Czisny and then Zhang. ETA: Also Carriere)

For me, it's more that it's nice for other skaters to have a chance to get to nationals. Skaters like Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu or Flatt should have no trouble getting through regionals/sectionals, but it means that one fewer skater gets the chance to compete. And Midwesterns, at least, is shaping up to be potentially pretty deep in senior ladies this year (Flatt, Bereswill, Gilles, Dobbs, Baga, Jiang, Miller, Dinh, Cain, and Morgan Bell could each potentially be there).

skfan
08-12-2012, 06:28 AM
For me, it's more that it's nice for other skaters to have a chance to get to nationals. Skaters like Czisny, Zhang, Nagasu or Flatt should have no trouble getting through regionals/sectionals, but it means that one fewer skater gets the chance to compete. And Midwesterns, at least, is shaping up to be potentially pretty deep in senior ladies this year (Flatt, Bereswill, Gilles, Dobbs, Baga, Jiang, Miller, Dinh, Cain, and Morgan Bell could each potentially be there).

ITA. there are a lot of skaters i love who might not make it out of mids and especially out of pacific coast sectionals this coming season. i so wish they could all be at nationals. that's why i'm crossing my fingers for keiser, wang, lam and hicks to all make JGPF! oh, and miller and cain as well... :lol:

Marco
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates well at GP: she loses a chance to get ISU points, some prize money, a GP medal and a GPF berth.

if she skates poorly at sectionals: she doesn't qualify for Nationals

change of edge
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Except in Nagasu's case

if she skates well at GP: she loses a chance to get ISU points, some prize money, a GP medal and a GPF berth.

Not to mention missing out on another chance to build reputation if she's skating well consistently.