PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jenna
06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Yes, he did. I'm not sure Twitter is the best place for him to vent his frustrations, though. Surely, USFS follows him on Twitter and can read everything he says! It's just not doing him any favors when it comes down to things like picking alternates for a team or choosing a host pick for a GP assignment.

Jammers
06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Maybe Armin needs to start skating better in internationals events before he disses other skaters.

kwanfan1818
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Two seasons ago USFS skipped the top three for 4C's, including Dornbush, and sent Abbott, Rippon, and Mahbahnoozadeh, who was 6th at US Nats, and as far as I know, Mahbahnoozadeh didn't complain that this was unfair to the three who placed above him. AM's score at 4C's, in which he came in 7th, was 15 points lower than at 2011 US Nationals.

It is possible that USFS took international performance into consideration, and not just club affiliation, since it put the spotlight on the selection and alternate ranking process when USFS selected Dornbush after a very weak US Nationals.

Jayar
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, he did. I'm not sure Twitter is the best place for him to vent his frustrations, though. Surely, USFS follows him on Twitter and can read everything he says! It's just not doing him any favors when it comes down to things like picking alternates for a team or choosing a host pick for a GP assignment.

But it shouldn't matter what he says on twitter. Sport is sport, and selection to events should be transparent-- even if the person selected has a sharp tongue on twitter. He should have taken his case to the Court of Arbitration.

kwanfan1818
06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
And point to what CAS provision?

Vagabond
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
But it shouldn't matter what he says on twitter. Sport is sport, and selection to events should be transparent-- even if the person selected has a sharp tongue on twitter. He should have taken his case to the Court of Arbitration.

IIRC, under the USFSA's somewhat mushy criteria for selecting the Four Continents Team, Dornbush's superior results on the Grand Prix and 2011 Nationals, his victory at 2011 World Juniors, and Mahbahnoozadeh's tepid performance at 2011 Four Continents were enough to support the argument that Dornbush was picked on merits. I disagree with the criteria, but I don't call the shots.

And, it should matter what he says on Twitter. Skaters go to ISU Championships as representatives of their Federations and (in effect) their countries. Bad-mouthing your competitors isn't cricket. ;)

kwanfan1818
06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I thought I read here that the criteria for 4C's selection changed this year and there was some vague commitment to publish them somewhere and sometime.

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Anyway, who's going to replace Contesti in China and Paris?

Ziggy
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I am betting on Rogozine and Hendrickx.

Having said that I guess that China and France might want to play POLITIK with Piseev maybe? In that case, expect Voronov and Dmitriev to get picked.

Jayar
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
And, it should matter what he says on Twitter. Skaters go to ISU Championships as representatives of their Federations and (in effect) their countries. Bad-mouthing your competitors isn't cricket. ;)

It should matter to the fans, but not to the selection committee. They should send the athletes poised for the most success-- they athletes who competitively EARN the spots. You don't see US Track and Field keeping people home who win the Olympic trials just because they are asshats, do you?

Theatregirl1122
06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
How does Richard Dornbush have 2 grand prix assignments while Armin Mahbanoozedeh has none. ?????? They screwed Armin out of 4CC and now out of Grand Prix. WTF

This is really the same situation. If you believe he was "screwed", it wasn't 4CC and the Grand Prix. It was 4CC which created the situation with the Grand Prix. USFSA doesn't control Grand Prix assignments other than the assignments to Skate America. Armin didn't receive any GP assignments because of his season's best and World Ranking. Dornbush's season's best is 27th while Mahbanoozedeh's is 41st. Dornbush's world standing is 20th (which is why he got the assignments) and Mahbanoozedeh's is 43rd. As far as GP selection (except for the Skate America host spots), the fact that Armin beat Ricky at US Nationals is totally irrelevant. However, Armin's WS and possibly SB would have been higher had he gone to 4CC although there is no way of knowing whether it would have been high enough for GP selection.

allezfred
06-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Anyway, who's going to replace Contesti in China and Paris?

Someone non-scratchy with any luck.

kwanfan1818
06-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Top SB with none or one:
Voronov-NHK
Hendrykx-TEB
Rogozine-NHK
Dmitriev-CoC
Ge-none (if he was entered in Senior GP) or Guan-CoC, if Ge is doing JGP

If "Top 5" means Top 5 regardless of where they are entered*, and if they don't move someone up into the Top 5 after the first is assigned, then

Cup of China:
Already Assigned*: Dmitriev, Guan (if Ge is junior)
Possible: Voronov, Hendrickx, Rogozine, Ge (if senior)

TEB:
Already Assigned: Hendrickx
Assigned to NHK immediately afterwards: Voronov**, Rogozine
Likely: Dmitriev, Guan or Ge**

**If not assigned to CoC

*If the Top 5 skips anyone who is ineligible, then there would more from the bottom to replace at least those already assigned, and possibly those with events the week before or after which take place on another continent.

If there's a replacement in the Top 5 after Contesti's first replacement is selected, Zhan Bush would be the next from the SB list, if Ge is still Junior. Otherwise it would be Guan (CoC). Bush is assigned to RC, and most likely wouldn't be chosen for TEB the week after.but if the French Fed chooses the first replacement, then Bush would be moved to Top 5 as a possible CoC replacement.

It would help if the replacement rules were specific.

Sylvia
06-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Misha Ge turned 21 last month.

kwanfan1818
06-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Wow, I keep thinking he's 15! (and I didn't bother to look him up...)

He'd be the 5th on the original replacements list, then, and with no assignments, eligible for either. I bet he'd like to go to China, since he grew up there for a number of years while his father coached there.