PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

justAfsfan
05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
The problem is, Chinese Fed tends to make up its mind at the beginning of season and stick to it. Yan will not win Nationals over Song barring major disasters. Seniority rules :S

I really want to know if Chinese fed choose Song over Yan just because of age?

If they care so much about face then Yan has much more chance to give China the result than Song.

jlai
05-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I must say I am a bit frustrated re: Phaneuf. I mean, she is as inconsistent as Czisny or Korpi, but she has the skating skills to be at the top. But for various reasons just couldn't quite make it happen.

Shame that she got held back during 03-04 when she could have gone to a world championship, and that she didn't medal at 2010 worlds (her best showing).

NMURA
05-29-2012, 02:57 AM
If they care so much about face then Yan has much more chance to give China the result than Song.

When I said "face", it means qualifying for WTT over small countries like Italy. I assume the Chinede federation (officials) felt humiliated this year, since they were the only GP host failed to qualify. The best chance to accumulate points is to send Yan to JW and Song to WC. Sending Yan to both is a waste.

zgr4088
05-29-2012, 06:44 AM
JW doesn't count because China has three skaters in 4CC. It's better to send Han Yan to GP and 4cc if the Chinese federation really cares about WTT

manhn
05-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Why in the friggin world would China give a friggin damn about friggin WTT? Where is this coming from? Unless, I see the Chinese Fed forcing Shen/Zhao to compete at WTT, I am assuming the folks at the Chinese Fed are not idiots.

carriemarie
05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I must say I am a bit frustrated re: Phaneuf. I mean, she is as inconsistent as Czisny or Korpi, but she has the skating skills to be at the top. But for various reasons just couldn't quite make it happen.

Shame that she got held back during 03-04 when she could have gone to a world championship, and that she didn't medal at 2010 worlds (her best showing).

I don't know if I would compare her to Cziney or Korpi, but Phaneuf has been a mess since her great showing as a young girl in the early 2000's and in 2010, but it was a weak post Olympic field, no disrespect for her, but Cziney and Korpi have pulled things together, even if not consistently for a few years. Cziney had a great season last year and looked good a SA and even TEB. She started faltering at GPF, but her Nationals performance wasn't a travesty. The 4CC's lack of invite concerned me and so did the senior B, but I do honestly think Phaneuf will get the TBA.

allezfred
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Why in the friggin world would China give a friggin damn about friggin WTT? Where is this coming from?

Aside from the not insubstantial :bribe:, there is also the fact that team medals will be at stake in Sochi.

kwanfan1818
05-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Why in the friggin world would China give a friggin damn about friggin WTT? Where is this coming from? Unless, I see the Chinese Fed forcing Shen/Zhao to compete at WTT, I am assuming the folks at the Chinese Fed are not idiots.
China specifically targeted summer sports with the most available Olympic medals for its summer sports program. It wouldn't be at all a surprise if they looked at WTT as a route to the Olympic team event.

jlai
05-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I can see China caring about the Olympic team event, but I don't see a big link between that and keeping Yan Han in JGP. I mean, Yan can totally help the team event by rocking senior worlds next year. That said, I can see them keeping Yan Han's option open by deciding later whether to send him to jr or senior world. If Yan does GP and the new rule passes then Yan has no option but competes for the one Senior world spot. But that is a good option regardless of the team trophy

kwanfan1818
05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
It's possible that they look at Men's and think that if the make the final in 2014, given the likely competition -- Canada, France, and Russia, at least -- the odds of beating those men are not great and it won't impact their team strategy so much for Sochi. They could use Sochi as a development tool, and, at this point, they could be looking at Yan Han as their future strategy.

I never thought I'd see a top 12 dance team from China, but if the Zaretski's can come in 6th, there's always hope.

zgr4088
05-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Wait. Regarding to wtt,I thought 4cc and euro has a higher priority than jw. Will the rule change next season?

Gliding on ice
05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
JW doesn't count because China has three skaters in 4CC. It's better to send Han Yan to GP and 4cc if the Chinese federation really cares about WTT

Total agree with you that the Chinese Fed should send Yan to GP and 4CC. They do care about WTT, but who knows what else is on their mind :confused:

Macassar88
05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe they want to see how Nan Song will do. But I agree than Han Yan should go senior especially with his upgrades. After all, he's already won junior worlds, so he won't improve as much as he would with different competition.

pinky166
06-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Maybe they want to see how Nan Song will do. But I agree than Han Yan should go senior especially with his upgrades. After all, he's already won junior worlds, so he won't improve as much as he would with different competition.

Do we know if it was the Federation or Yan's coaches/himself that decided to stay on the JGP?

In any event, at least he will still be challenged on the JGP with the likes of Farris, Brown, Tanaka, etc sticking around another season as well. Honestly though I wish they had all moved up...

jjane45
06-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Do we know if it was the Federation or Yan's coaches/himself that decided to stay on the JGP?

Based on his weibo, the Chinese twitter, he was holding out hopes for the TBA spot at COC the day GP assignments were released. poor kid was guaranteed a spot!