PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 ISU Grand Prix Assignments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Ziggy
05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
We dont know that Farris would have gotten just one gp. As more drop out he could easily end up with two.

So then he could finish outside the podium at two GPs and never be able to skate in Junior events again.

I guess USFS thought that him doing JGP for one more season would be a better option.

And I agree with them.

He still has a way to go with developing his PCS, building up reputation with the judges, etc.

euterpe
05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Then what happens if Josh finishes top two at Nationals? He can't do both JW and Worlds because of the date proximity.

Theatregirl1122
05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
He just goes to worlds. The point is for him to still have Jr. Worlds as an option, not that he must be sent.

pinky166
05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Then what happens if Josh finishes top two at Nationals? He can't do both JW and Worlds because of the date proximity.

If he's top 2 at Nationals then they'd probably send him to Worlds and send Brown, Chen, and probably someone like Choate or Yostanto to JW instead. When Ricky won silver at Nationals after competing on the JGP they sent him to senior Worlds.

pinky166
05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
He just goes to worlds. The point is for him to still have Jr. Worlds as an option, not that he must be sent.

Yeah, essentially that is how it works.

I have a question though, I know skaters who have competed in senior internationals and no longer allowed to compete at JW, but can a skater who has competed in senior internationals but is still junior age eligible return to the JGP? I'm thinking of skaters like Juulia Turkkilla and Monika Simanckova who have competed at Euros and Worlds, but never on the GP yet, have no GP assignments, and are still young enough to do JGP again. Will they be allowed to compete on JGP this season or no?

query5
05-22-2012, 06:33 PM
all i am going to say is this,

for the ladies, the cup of china, teb is going to barnburner with 3 world champs, up and comer junior if people stay the same.

skate canada and rostelcom is really competitive because anyone like alena, adelina, caroline zhang, gracie gold, agnes, kanako , kiira can win it, not to mention victoria and valentina can medal-akiko elizaveta in skate canada and elene and ksenia

skate america with ashley, adelina, rachel, alena, can win it plus christina, haruka possible medals

nhk with mao, akiko, agnes, haruka possible alissa , elene

so competitive if names stay same. stay tuned anyone can win and medal.

the men in some events is just as competitive.

the dance especially for 2nd 3rd so competitive anything can happen.

hopefully not to many name changes in cast.

Sylvia
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I have a question though, I know skaters who have competed in senior internationals and no longer allowed to compete at JW, but can a skater who has competed in senior internationals but is still junior age eligible return to the JGP? I'm thinking of skaters like Juulia Turkkilla and Monika Simanckova who have competed at Euros and Worlds, but never on the GP yet, have no GP assignments, and are still young enough to do JGP again. Will they be allowed to compete on JGP this season or no?
I don't see why not.

I'm compiling a list of JGP age-eligible singles skaters from the ISU Season Best scores list and will post it in the JGP Announcement thread in GSD later.

love_skate2011
05-22-2012, 06:38 PM
^^

Bloodbath at Trophee Eric Bompard and Cup of China for ladies
weakest competitions are in Skate America and NHK in ladies

Sylvia
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Re-posting from the U.S. Men's news thread since it's more relevant here:

The big difference is that Ando is a World champion who is coming back, but will every senior skater who is just coming back get that benefit of two GP assignments? Weir was no World or Olympic medalist as he left the competitions.

In last year's GP announcement, comeback skaters were defined by the ISU as "Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 at any previous ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons". Weir has been a seeded skater before, so he can return to the GP circuit as a comeback skater - this year.

To use other examples: if, say, Laura Lepisto were to decide the return to competition one day, she would be able to do two GPs as a comeback skater. If Kevin van der Perren decides he'd like to make a run at Sochi after sitting out the coming season, this provision would apply to him (he was 6th in 2008). The Kerrs and the Zaretskis could be comeback skaters (5th and 6th in 2010).You do not have to be a World Champion or an Olympic (or even World) medalist.

Maofan7
05-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for getting those links so quickly, Sylvia! :rockstar:

Yes, great job. Many thanks

mag
05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
You're right! J10 doesn't have an assignment either. What's happening at SC?
Have they decided to overlook 2 seniors and go right to the junior rankings?

Surely both J10 and EB are not injured?

Firus has aged out of juniors. I get the world ranking part, but I would have thought SC would have left two spots TBA and then sent all three skaters (Ten, Balde, & Firus) out to the same summer comp and based the selection on the results of the comp, and perhaps with the requirement that a clean 3A is needed as well. Now, maybe they are doing just that. They could replace Firus if he doesn't skate well this summer, couldn't they?

euterpe
05-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Firus has aged out of juniors. I get the world ranking part, but I would have thought SC would have left two spots TBA and then sent all three skaters (Ten, Balde, & Firus) out to the same summer comp and based the selection on the results of the comp, and perhaps with the requirement that a clean 3A is needed as well. Now, maybe they are doing just that. They could replace Firus if he doesn't skate well this summer, couldn't they?

Yes. The host nation controls host picks. Skate Canada has frequently replaced skaters previously assigned to JGP events, but it is somewhat unusual to do that in the GP unless there has been illness or injury.

mag
05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes. The host nation controls host picks. Skate Canada has frequently replaced skaters previously assigned to JGP events, but it is somewhat unusual to do that in the GP unless there has been illness or injury.

And that is why it seems odd. Why would SC put themselves in the position of having a man at Skate Canada without even a hope of landing a 3A when they have two skaters, who placed higher at Nationals, both landing them (I'm actually not sure at Ten and where his 3A is ....)

I love Firus' skating and I am a fan, but even to me something seems wrong. Balde made a coaching change prior to Nationals and even in the short time leading up the Nationals you could see the change. It will be interesting to see how the summer comps go. I think Firus and Ten will both be a BC Summerskate so there will be a head to head comparison on home turf.

Jammers
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
The USFS is making a huge mistake if they decided not to give Josh at least 1 GP assignment. They seem to be in denial that the US Men need to rebuild and that can't happen when you give two events to Weir who is not part of the future. Have they not seen the US Mens roster? Abbott is the only one who can really compete against the best when he's on but he's a head case. Rippon will never be a champion same with Miner. Dornbush does have potential but it's wait and see with him Armin hasn't shown he's reaDY to go to the next level yet either. Same with Razzano. Mroz and Aaron can jump but not much else. Messing has a lot of work to do. Carriere came back but i don't see him finishing higher then he did this year. I don't see a champion in any of them certainly not internationally. So why not see what Farris has and give him some much needed experience a year before Sochi instead of thinking Weir or Lysacek are going to ride in and save the day?

Skittl1321
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
They seem to be in denial that the US Men need to rebuild and that can't happen when you give two events to Weir who is not part of the future.

Could USFS have blocked Weir from returning? Would that even be possible? (It has already been covered his getting two events has nothing to do with USFS, since they didn't select him for Skate America.)