PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Vegas Hotel Worker Fired for Saying "Bye Bye"

Jenna
05-19-2012, 07:08 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/fired-las-vegas-hotel-worker-sues-pregnancy-discrimination/story?id=16361237#.T7fgjbyF__s

Unbelievable. This is wrongful termination at its finest!

TheGirlCanSkate
05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm from the service industry and aside from the pregnancy comments, she is wrong. It is outlined in the hotel handbook that you cannot clock in more than 7 minutes early and you cannot be late (actually there was a 6 minute grace period).

Also regarding uniforms - do you get paid to get dressed for work? Why should someone just because they are in a uniform? The reason they do not remove uniforms is because often (and I was pregnant during part of the time) there is only one or two maternity uniforms for each position and they are required to be cleaned and pressed. In my case, the only other employee in my dept was a 5ft tiny Asian girl and I'm 5'5" and was about 30 lbs heavier than her - the uniform on her was decent and on me - my butt was showing. So they had to make me my own. The time clock is standard in the industry as well as the uniform policy. As for the comments, when I heard she had to deliver a pleasure package, I though - ha! A little late for that!" and then read the similar response. It's foot in mouth disease. Really, I think she is grasping. We were also trained there was one way to answer the phone and one way to hang up. Dept, this is C, how may I help you? I was external on phones so I was required to say "Thank you for calling *hotel name*", internal was "good bye" - bye-bye is far from professional. She only called for a lawsuit after being fired. And in Nevada they do not need to give a reason for termination.

Garden Kitty
05-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Of course it is also just one side to the lawsuit. The other side hasn't filed its response yet so there may be lots of facts not mentioned in her filings. She may have been treated badly, but it's hard to evaluate any situation without hearing both sides.

taf2002
05-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Regardless of the other details, the disrespectful comments were totally out of line. I wonder if that man would like it if he had a pregnant wife & she had to put up with comments like that. He sound like a total jerk. (If he really did say those things.)

Garden Kitty
05-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Regardless of the other details, the disrespectful comments were totally out of line. I wonder if that man would like it if he had a pregnant wife & she had to put up with comments like that. He sound like a total jerk.

But you only have the plaintiff's statement at this point that those comments were made. I'm not saying that the complaints aren't true, I'm just saying that one person saying something happened doesn't necessarily mean it is true.

Articles like this are important because they raise issues that should be considered, but I don't like to decide that something is a fact until there is independent evidence, or I've heard both sides and can decide for myself.

Japanfan
05-20-2012, 07:09 AM
As for the comments, when I heard she had to deliver a pleasure package, I though - ha! A little late for that!" and then read the similar response. It's foot in mouth disease.

I didn't make that association. Millions of people use condoms, and millions of women have babies. This women's job involved delivering condoms to customers and nothing whatsoever to do with her own use or non-use of them. She doesn't have sex with her customers, in which case there would be an association.

I found the comment very rude and offensive.

Had to :lol: at 'pleasure packet' of condoms though. Are there are kinds of condom packets?

milanessa
05-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Had to :lol: at 'pleasure packet' of condoms though. Are there are kinds of condom packets?

There are kinds of everything in Vegas. :lol:

DickButtonFan
05-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I think it's insane to fire someone for saying 'bye bye', even if it's seen as less than professional. It's not like 'bye bye' is offensive.

I've known people to be fired for saying 'is that ok' instead of just 'ok?' at the end of a call!

I'm sure a boss could remind the worker what is appropriate to say and eventually the worker will get it. These are tiny mistakes, no one is perfect.

milanessa
05-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm sure a boss could remind the worker what is appropriate to say and eventually the worker will get it. These are tiny mistakes, no one is perfect.

Maybe he has - many times - we just don't know.

TheGirlCanSkate
05-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe he has - many times - we just don't know.

Exactly. My point is I wasn't horrified by the article. I wasn't there. Some of her complaints (if true) were out of line. Other comments about not getting paid to get her uniform and put it on imho are taken less seriously by me.

Having managed areas like front desk, reservations, and PBX, staff were always very young and had to be trained to pick up a call and disconnect it by standards, no phone rings more than 3 rings, how they didn't know about calling in to be late, that they couldn't date guests. But how each time it was done incorrectly, it had to be brought up in reviews. It sounds like micromanaging, but there has to be standards so that someone going to the Ritz in CA is going to have the same standards in NY. Many more guests are repeat customers than customers who have never stayed with that company before. It is a service industry.

MacMadame
05-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I just read the article. So she wants to get paid for getting dressed? Seems kind of strange for me.

As for the policies about clocking in and out, they are there because otherwise you'd have people coming to work extremely early and clocking in just to earn overtime and that isn't fair and also really screws with your budget -- I had an employee or nickel and dimed my overtime budget like that and it's extremely annoying and not fair to the other employees.

The only way it would be a labor issue is if they wouldn't let them clock in/out but made them work during that time. That's wrong and illegal.

agalisgv
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Exactly. My point is I wasn't horrified by the article. I wasn't there. Some of her complaints (if true) were out of line. Other comments about not getting paid to get her uniform and put it on imho are taken less seriously by me. It seems to me you and others are missing the point of the lawsuit.

My understanding is she isn't suing because someone said something out of line. She's suing because she believes the corporation fired her just as she was about to give birth to get out of any expenses associated with maternity leave and such. The point of the comments is to show there's a pattern of hostile behavior towards pregnant women at the corporation, and a desire to weed them out of the workforce.

The point of the uniform issue wouldn't be that she didn't get paid for getting dressed, but rather the company had set up a situation that mandated a chunk of uncompensated time on the part of employees in order to work. It's not just that they couldn't get dressed at home on their own time, but they also had to go to a different part of hotel to get dressed. So the additional time required was supposedly far in excess of the amount of time allotted by the corporation (7 minutes), but there was no way employees couldn't spend that time and still work there.

IOW, the company allegedly had a history of cutting expenses by shifting job-related tasks to employees off the clock. And that's relevant insofar as the larger lawsuit is concerned with the corporation allegedly not wanting to pay for an employees maternity leave and associated expenses. So the things which seem petty are there to try and show a pattern of behavior for why this woman was fired not for saying 'bye bye', but rather to avoid pregnancy-related employee costs.

That's what the lawsuit is about IMO.