PDA

View Full Version : Article: Lubov Iliushechkina wants to skate for France, but...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Ziggy
05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
It's clearly an attempt to silence her.

They'd give her some mediocre (for Russian standards) partner and one B-International at best and she'd probably never make the National team again.

Given how inconsistent both Popova/Massot and James/Cipres seem to be, I can imagine her winning French Nationals if she manages to land her jumps.

Katarzyna
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM

They'd give her some mediocre (for Russian standards) partner and one B-International at best and she'd probably never make the National team again.
Very sad, but I too think so. :(
Russian Fed is :EVILLE: and I wait for the day when the :lynch: finally starts! :angryfire

BittyBug
05-21-2012, 02:02 AM

They'd give her some mediocre (for Russian standards) partner and one B-International at best and she'd probably never make the National team again.If the Russian Fed's goal is to win medals (which it quite clearly is), then shorting Iliuscheskina by providing her with a sub-par partner would not further their objectives. She is a very talented ladies pairs skater, so it would behoove them to find her a suitable partner (assuming they have one). And Moskvina is not known for just passing the time idly, so I can't imagine that their goal in sending Lubov to Moskvina is to effectively put her out to pasture.

kwanfan1818
05-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Sometimes blocking others from being competitive is a strategy.

BittyBug
05-21-2012, 03:41 AM
I totally get blocking her from going to France, but what would Russia have to gain by trying to hold Iliuscheskina back within Russia (which seemed to be Ziggy's cynical theory)? I don't think the Russian Fed particularly cares which pairs team medals, as long as there are Russians on the podium.

kwanfan1818
05-21-2012, 03:44 AM
They look really bad if they don't offer her another partner, but refuse to release her. A partner who is less experience could gain from her experience, and if it worked out better than expected, fine.

Vash01
05-21-2012, 04:24 AM
I find this disturbing on so many levels, but most of all that Piseev would reveal that Iliushechkina had suicidal thoughts.

And yet he had no compunction about Tatiana Volozhar. :rolleyes:

(And, yes, I know that the Ukrainian Federation was willing to release her, but I do recall rumors that one of the reasons was that its Russian counterpart paid it off to secure the release.)

:

Volosozhar situation was very different. All concerned parties were willing to send her to Russia, with the goal to win a championship. It was clear that Ukraine did not have a good enough partner for her, and they were willing to give her the opportunity in Russia.

That is very different from a skater (Lubov) leaving due to some issues with either herself and/or with the coach/rink. I am not even sure that Iliushechkina's choice of a new partner that she found on the internet is a good long term solution for her as a pairs skater. She can do what she wants with her life- it may even work out for her, on and/or off the ice- but as far as the RSF goes, they have made the effort to help her. They did invest a lot in her, so it is understandable that they won't just release her. They do have to take care of their skating program.

It's not clear from what's been published that Lubov seeked help from her fed while she was feeling abused or whatever. She wrote a lot in her diaries but how much effort was made to correct the situation? To me, it just looks like an unfortunate situation that could have been avoided, or addressed much earlier. Hopefully everything will turn out fine for all parties, but it is unreasonable to expect that the Russian fed would just let her go to compete in Sochi for another country.

Vagabond
05-21-2012, 06:21 AM
It's not clear from what's been published that Lubov seeked help from her fed while she was feeling abused or whatever. She wrote a lot in her diaries but how much effort was made to correct the situation? To me, it just looks like an unfortunate situation that could have been avoided, or addressed much earlier. Hopefully everything will turn out fine for all parties, but it is unreasonable to expect that the Russian fed would just let her go to compete in Sochi for another country.

*Ahem*

Apparently, she was considering suicide. Most suicidal/clinically depressed young people -- especially if they aren't full-time students, with access to free counseling-- don't go to institutional authorities (skating federation, employer, whatever) and say, "I'm suicidal. Please help me." If you believe otherwise, you should do some reading about the subject.

While it is understandable that the Russian Federation doesn't want to lose any return on its investment, publicizing a skater's mental health problems (which I assume is what Piseev is doing, since the alternative explanation, i.e., that he is lying, is too disgusting to consider) is inexcusable. The decision not to release her is the least of it.

MacMadame
05-21-2012, 07:05 AM
I also think it's disingenuous to refer to her new partner as "someone she found on the internet." It's not like he's some random guy no one has ever heard of. So they connected via email instead of a phone call. That's not so unusual in this day and age.

cholla
05-21-2012, 07:08 AM
I totally get blocking her from going to France, but what would Russia have to gain by trying to hold Iliuscheskina back within Russia (which seemed to be Ziggy's cynical theory)?
(For once) I don't find Ziggy's theory cynical but very logical. It's much more a matter of not losing something than gaining something else. To me, Pissev saying "we don't want another Anissina" means "we don't want another Russian skater blossoming in a foreign country and becoming a medal contender". He doesn't want to provide his opponents with eventual contenders as he already did once. I've seen countries saying a huge NO to the release of their skaters even when they had never hit the roof result-wise, but "just in case". Keeping them "home" is also a way to silence them when they've had some trouble said fed is not proud of.

kwanfan1818
05-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I think the reference to Volosozhar was that Gorshkov was happy for the Russian Federation to take a skater who would win medals, but isn't willing to give (release) a skater who might be competition for his number #2 and #3 (and might help another country in the team competition).

Domshabfan
05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I think the reference to Volosozhar was that Gorshkov was happy for the Russian Federation to take a skater who would win medals, but isn't willing to give (release) a skater who might be competition for his number #2 and #3 (and might help another country in the team competition).

I think her country of choice could also be an issue, didn't France block Jerome Blanchard effort to skate with Valeria Vorobieva for Russia. I think he had to sit out two years to get the eligibility to represent for Russia, by that time the partnership had dissolved. I can't see Russians releasing her anytime soon especially if they think she and Kocon could very likely turn out to be a medal treat for France in the future(which I think they are). Russians are also trying to stop them from gaining experience as well as reputation from judges leading up to 2018 games. Remember, Europeans will be without top two K/S, V/T and the Germans S/S from 2015 onwards. Any reasonably good performance in Olympics year will set them up well for 2015-2018 quad, and by not releasing her the team will have a disadvantage even against the other russian teams.

kwanfan1818
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
All of that is true, Domshabfan.

victoriaheidi
05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
\At the same time, she looks hysterical, impulsive, and ready to give up the fatherland, and Pavlova is on record as saying she tried to talk to Iliushenchkina about her eating, but she couldn't do anything if her skater was in denial and resisted. (I hope LI can contact Suzuki.)

Back up a second...wasn't it Pavlova who called her "overweight" in the first place?

hanca
05-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Back up a second...wasn't it Pavlova who called her "overweight" in the first place?

yes, she did.