PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars, S 14 Week 9 Semifinals or "Heartbreak Week"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

danceronice
05-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Actually, I expect the final will be "William standing around acting as a barechested jungle gym while Cheryl spins", "Donald works the hardest and shows most improvement and gets booted first", "Katherine does the best overall" and then William wins because, as screech put it, the horny straight women and gay men are voting for him.

cruisin
05-16-2012, 03:01 PM
If william wins this, I'm done.

skatesindreams
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
danceronice, I agree with you.

It's not that William doesn't have ability.
However, he "poses"a lot; and there is a lack of attention/sloppiness in his dancing that makes it "fall flat" for me.
He relies on his "sex appeal" too much.

It's a "turn off"!

cruisin
05-16-2012, 03:12 PM
danceronice, I agree with you.

It's not that William doesn't have ability.
However, he "poses"a lot; and there is a lack of attention/sloppiness in his dancing that makes it "fall flat" for me.
He relies on his "sex appeal" too much.

It's a "turn off"!

That is what bothers me the most. When Giles did DWTS, he worked hard and, though he was hot - hot - hot, he didn't rely on it. William, not only relays on it but seems to revel in it. And clue for William - he's got a great body, but he's just not that hot, in my opinion. Hotness is not just body, it's also what's inside.

Had to fix that. I had mistakenly written, Giles thought he was hot, but meant to say though he was hot. Two very different meanings!

Cheylana
05-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I think it's just as well that Maria went home last night. She's been dealing with quite a few injuries.

I honestly don't understand William's appeal. He's nice-looking but not so much as to warrant all the studio audience screaming. Is the audience instructed to do that every week? Also, the whole "what is this American custom you speak of?" act feels phony to me. He did come to this country as a teenager, I find it hard to believe he knows nothing about American culture, but he's trying to play up the sexy foreigner act and it's annoying.

Anyway, I think Katherine will win - she is still the best technical dancer, and it's been a while since a Hough/Ballas has won. So the judges will give Katherine all 10's and bury the other two, and if it's not enough, they'll bury the other two some more on the second night to get the result they want (like they did with the Nicole/Evan season). But that's fine, I'm in ABW mode now (sorry, Cheryl!).

skatesindreams
05-16-2012, 03:24 PM
That is what bothers me the most. When Giles did DWTS, he worked hard and, thought he was hot - hot - hot, he didn't rely on it. William, not only relays on it but seems to revel in it. And clue for William - he's got a great body, but he's just not that hot, in my opinion. Hotness is not just body, it's also what's inside.

Amen!

This is why I think the world of Gilles.
He didn't flaunt anything and was the epitome of "class".
Yet, he certainly has "it"!

AYS
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Gilles had more class, depth and soul than William. It not only made him more appealing in general, it made his dancing much better and also, even if they both on the surface have faces and bodies of an Adonis, that made Gilles sexier and more beautiful to look at too.

cruisin
05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
So the judges will give Katherine all 10's and bury the other two, and if it's not enough, they'll bury the other two some more on the second night to get the result they want (like they did with the Nicole/Evan season). But that's fine, I'm in ABW mode now (sorry, Cheryl!).

I don't know, Carrie Anne swoons over William :roll eyes:.

skatesindreams
05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Gilles had more class, depth and soul than William. It not only made him more appealing in general, it made his dancing much better and also, even if they both on the surface have faces and bodies of an Adonis, that made Gilles sexier and more beautiful to look at too.

You spoke for me!

pixie cut
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Gilles was in a class of his own (damn that crappy freestyle). He is physically gorgeous, he's humble, he has a great sense of humor and he could really dance. Although it seems easy to compare one hunk to another, it's totally unfair to make William subject to such a comparison. William is nice looking, has a great body, seems pretty nice, can't really gauge how much humor he has and is a decent dancer with a good sense of rhythm.

People seem cast into certain roles on Dancing with the Stars. Katherine is the really good dancer, Donald is the athlete with charisma, Maria was the hard working underdog and William is the hunk. I think to a certain extent he's doing what the producers tell him to do. Since it's working, he's not rebelling.

Rob
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
- Mel B (Maks)
- Gilles (Cheryl)
- Kyle (Lacey)
- Joey Fatone (Kym)
- Kelly O (Louis)
- Evan (Anna)
- Chelsea Kane (Mark)
- Mya (Dmitri)
- Mario Lopez (Karina) - unlikely with their former relationship
And I want to add another one - Stacy Keibler and Tony!!

I would swap Sabrina for Chelsea Kane, but the rest is just perfect. If Derek must be there, you can add Lil Kim.

ArtisticFan
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
...Also, the whole "what is this American custom you speak of?" act feels phony to me. He did come to this country as a teenager, I find it hard to believe he knows nothing about American culture, but he's trying to play up the sexy foreigner act and it's annoying.

I can't speak for him, but I still struggle with some of the US cultural things. I too came to the US as a teenager, but with about three long visits before that. While I had to adapt because of where my family chose to live, William's career and lifestyle have not made him adopt as many of the customs as fast.

His acting and modeling have not brought him into the mainstream that would have required him to know more about music, movies, etc. He still holds to and relies on his Cuban roots even if the work is done in the US. That's a whole other debate, but he's hardly the first or only immigrant to feel more comfortable with the things he was used to before his move.

Not that I like comparing, but Gilles came to the US as an adult in search of mainstream entertainment work. Since he is French, he also didn't have the same strong immigrant community surrounding him as William has with fellow Cubans.

As a Russian immigrant, I can relate. I knew of no one else at my school from Eastern Europe - let alone Russia. If I didn't pick up the ways of my classmates, I would have never had friends or been accepted by anyone other than my family. But as quickly as I adapted, there are still many times that I look at what happens around me and just wonder what is going on around here. Music is a big one. I can't tell you the number of times I have said that I have heard a new song only to learn it is was from 30 or 40 years ago.

kwanfan1818
05-16-2012, 05:58 PM
ArtisticFan: Everything you said. In the US William lived in a non-Anglo community with it's own rich, although not exclusively, non-Anglo culture, and he's made his career in Spanish-speaking media. Also, when he came to the US as a teenager in 1994, the internet wasn't as prominent, Google not as mainstream, smart phones not ubiquitous, and streaming on demand non-existent. (If I didn't have them, I wouldn't be able to follow half of the non-skating threads and references in Sekret Sources on FSU, and I grew up in New Jersey.) I'm in the same boat as you regarding music, since I only cared about opera and classical music growing up until I was subjected to 24x7 Joni Mitchell as a freshman in college :scream:.

He's a current :rockstar: in Latin and South America, which is where most of his non-print media career has been focused. He comes across as relatively un-vain, considering that women throw their panties at him regularly, and not as a joke. He's also not responsible that out of long days of taping, the producers choose those quotes, with questions prompted by his partner.

I know some ballroom people who think he's got a good frame and is a powerful lead. As a ballroom non-teknik I don't see this, only general impressions, and besides being :wuzrobbed that Maria is gone, I think he's heavy-handed -- in the dance where he did samba rolls with Cheryl's head, I though he'd break it off -- and that Cheryl looks sluggish and uninspired both as a partner and choreographer. It's one thing if Karina wants to dance circles around her partner, but watching Cheryl this season has been no treat, and I much prefer the Dovolani brand of super-smooth male dominance.

Rob
05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Tom confirms next season will be an All Stars version... HOW do they pick 12 participants from 14 seasons of contestants..? I am going to guess we're going to see an expanded season a bit.

Sounds like Mario Lopez has been contacted. http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/dancing-with-the-stars-all-star-season-confirmed-2012165

Who will dance with Derek - Brooke or Nicole?

They cannot deny us Gillles!!!!!

Hines Ward was in the audience this week, wasn't he? Or will it be Donny Osmond for Kym. They could have Donny & Marie. If Jonathan isn't up for it, Tristan can dance with Marie. He's the new Jonathan/Tony.

PLEASE KATE SAY NO!!!! But she needs a show, doesn't she? Aw crap. Who else is "controversial" - does that mean shocking elimination (Sabrina) or whiny (insert any number of names) or transgendered (Chaz)

Cheylana
05-16-2012, 06:08 PM
ArtisticFan and Kwanfan1818, those are fair points. Still think he plays it up a bit much for the cameras.