PDA

View Full Version : Food Next Star - 15 contestants, 3 teams, and probably a diva or two!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

skatesindreams
07-17-2012, 07:06 PM
If FN could deal with Alton for all of these years; they can handle Justin.
They need Justin.
In addition to the "quirkiness", I suspect that he's a very talented chef.

Rex
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Yvan (IMO) had the best pilot, but the worst food. Talk about semi-home-made. :scream: Justin is the most interesting, but perhaps too eclectic for Food Network, but he gets my vote.

The corn mac & cheese was so low-rent, wasn't it? :lol: But he did say that he was poor growing up. But he could have added some meat to it I think.

But that dish was Starch City.

I kind of like Justin's mad scientist vibe.

jeffisjeff
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
The corn mac & cheese was so low-rent, wasn't it? :lol: But he did say that he was poor growing up. But he could have added some meat to it I think.

But that dish was Starch City.

Creamed corn is just :scream: .

I like Yvan more than Marty (who has no chance of winning), but it didn't seem fair that he got to make the pilot with his family, but Marty seemed to have random people as the guests for her party. I guess Yvan's family lives in NYC?

I like Justin's lips. :slinkaway

Andrushka
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I love Justin and hope he wins. I may never cook any of his food (aspic Caesar Salad, um, don't think so) but I would tune in just to see what crazy idea he comes up with next.

I'm totally going to try that sometime.But then again I like to do experiments lol

I voted for Justin 2 days in a row...all 20 times.I totally think he'll get a show whether he wins this or not.

skatesindreams
07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Aspic doesn't have to taste repulsive.
I'd like to try Justin's salad.

orbitz
07-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I thought Yvon's interactions with his family looked forced. I'd rather just see him cook rather than try to manufacture a 'wam-and-fuzzy' atmosphere so that the old ladies at home can go "Awwww".

I like Justin but don't want him to be turned into an Alton's clone. Whatever his parents did to raise him they should write a book. Are his red lips for real?

danceronice
07-18-2012, 03:04 AM
I cannot imagine watching Y-boy at all. Annoying pitch and pointless idea. I have nothing against creative mac n' cheese-I have a recipe I got off another message board for it that has squash in it, and it's really good, but creamed corn? Ech. :( to see Ippy go because I could get into a Hawaiian show.

Of those remaining, I read the DESCRIPTION on here of Justin's pilot dish and went "Bwuh?" but watching it, actually that makes a lot of sense. (Aspic, if done correctly, just tastes like whatever you put in it and while the way he was using it would probably be a little silly at home, I get it.) And I like his idea in theory, I'd just worry about a "Good Eats" clone attempt or the concept getting old pretty quick. Everyone else..eh. I might watch Marti/ee/y's show if she had a party concept I was interested in, Y-boy see above, and Michelle's show looks like it's kind of schizo at the moment--is it a procedural, or a travel show? She might have a more interesting concept moving more towards the travel end.

Rex
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I thought Yvon's interactions with his family looked forced. I'd rather just see him cook rather than try to manufacture a 'wam-and-fuzzy' atmosphere so that the old ladies at home can go "Awwww".

I like Justin but don't want him to be turned into an Alton's clone. Whatever his parents did to raise him they should write a book. Are his red lips for real?
I hate to be picky, but if Justin wins, he's going to need a makeover. Starting with his hair and his crooked teeth. TV execs want their stars to be as photogenic as possible. I like his Elvis 'do, but he's got some seriously misaligned teeth - he has a bit of a lisp too. I know they will work on all of this.

WEHT 2010 winner Aaron McCargo and his TV show Big Daddy's House? I was disappointed with his show, but they never said what happened to him.

skatesindreams
07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I've seen Aaron on Nate Berkus' show several times.

KHenry14
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
WEHT 2010 winner Aaron McCargo and his TV show Big Daddy's House? I was disappointed with his show, but they never said what happened to him.

It took a bit of looking, but it was indeed cancelled. I'd forgotten about the scandal that brewed up when Aaron somehow beat Kelsey Nixon. http://wannabetvchef.com/?p=7678

I never thought Aaron was that good, nor was his show any good. Funny, if you go to Aaron's website he leads you to believe that his show's still in production. :rolleyes:

Rex
07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
It took a bit of looking, but it was indeed cancelled. I'd forgotten about the scandal that brewed up when Aaron somehow beat Kelsey Nixon. http://wannabetvchef.com/?p=7678

I never thought Aaron was that good, nor was his show any good. Funny, if you go to Aaron's website he leads you to believe that his show's still in production. :rolleyes:

I was shocked too when he won. He was likable enough, but had serious mush-mouth and his recipes were so dull and uninspiring. I love Kelsey's show; it's not overtly exciting, but great instructional cooking given by someone with a pleasant (but not overbearing) personality.

Forgot to mention (off-topic) that I did see Dave Lieberman in Rittenhouse Park during the Independence Day weekend. In his running shorts ;). He was talking to some older guy, maybe his dad or someone.

skatesindreams
07-18-2012, 05:34 PM
I couldn't understand how Aaron won either, for all the reasons mentioned.

kwanfan1818
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Argh, am not happy that I got a Facebook post from Food Network to say "Go vote", and when I clicked the link within minutes of the status being posted, I got a message saying that voting was closed :mad:.

Finally got to see the pilots on Food Network Canada. I missed a bunch of the earlier episodes, but until that pilot, I had no idea what the premise of Michelle's show was: to find the food she liked commercially and then re-create it in her kitchen. I don't think she's a very good teacher, though. I wouldn't know how to re-create what she recreated, and I thought her dish was a bit of a mess.

I think they should produce a couple of hybrid shows where she leads Guy Fieri across New England, and then they could do some short kitchen episodes in which they recreate it together in real-people proportions, with tips on how to customize it. She has the same energy as he, and I find her very companionable and verbal. I think they'd be a trip together.

Although I would never dribble chicken stock on my lettuce, I loved the idea of a gelatinous melting salad dressing on grilled lettuce, and I think Justin's pilot hit it out of the park.

He's like a more appealing Bill Nye the Science Guy.

C
I like Yvan more than Marty (who has no chance of winning), but it didn't seem fair that he got to make the pilot with his family
I thought that was a risk that didn't pay off for him ultimately. He's not polished enough, like a Nate Berkus or most TV hosts, to have the equivalent of an audience member in TV experience, especially in making the guest feel comfortable while remaining totally calm. I thought his brother brought the segment down, because he was too focused on bringing his brother into the show. It did show how much he cared for his brother, though, but, on the other hand, I'm really inclined to like him.

I like Ippy, also.
If TPTB don't think he could carry a regular show; they might do an occasional "laid back/Hawaiian lifestyle" special.
If the response is positive - as could well happen - it might lead to more.
I wish they'd do a revolving show -- there's so much talent in these contests. Look at how much interest there is in SYTYCD alumni.

orbitz
07-21-2012, 12:20 AM
I hate to be picky, but if Justin wins, he's going to need a makeover. Starting with his hair and his crooked teeth. TV execs want their stars to be as photogenic as possible. I like his Elvis 'do, but he's got some seriously misaligned teeth - he has a bit of a lisp too. I know they will work on all of this.

Because the male chefs on FN like Alton, Guy, the Iron Chefs,..., are such superstud in the looks department, right? ;) For acting gigs on the soaps or night time TV then yes, looks are important, but not so much for FN. Of course the FN execs love photogenic hosts, but they aren't judged as hard as those on normal TV shows.

IMO, I think Justin's cute in an offbeat kind of way.

kwanfan1818
07-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Teeth are a class marker in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers wanted him to get them fixed.