PDA

View Full Version : Food Next Star - 15 contestants, 3 teams, and probably a diva or two!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Aceon6
06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I think the problem with having a good baking or chocolate show is the time involved. Most of the cooking shows on FN/TCC involve foods that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes start to finish, or that involve 20 minutes of prep, a gap, and 10 minutes to finish. Good desserts have lots of steps that can't be skipped.

kwanfan1818
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
According to the website I'm caught up, after having succumbed to trading BOLD for the Food Network.

I like all of the people left except Martie, whom I find annoying and inarticulate. If they're looking for someone whose show could fit the existing, somewhat clone-ish line-up, Martie will probably win the entire thing by being another bore.

Malcolm really didn't get it, that there's got to be some kind of theme to any show he'd have, and he was so insistent on his own self-described "genius" and personality being enough that it's not surprising he was gone, even though he created a cocktail of his own, which was the challenge, not re-create a drink that anyone could buy in Nantucket, like Michele did. (She was never called out on this.) I loved the looks they shot him when he pretty much said it was the judges fault that they didn't get him until then. Paula Deen didn't think much of his food, but I don't think much of hers, and she dissed goat cheese. Everyone seems to love Michele, and she's got a great personality, but I think her cooking and her show would be dull after a few episodes.

Deen also didn't think that a show on grilling would be interesting -- as if she doesn't do the same old few things over and over -- but while I disagree, I think it might be frustrating during the long months when most people don't grill at all. I much prefer "Girl on Grill" to "The Grill Next Door," especially given the artificial way she emphasizes "Grill" now. The first is descriptive and feisty; the latter is trying to make Nikki girly. I kind of liked what they seemed to think was strident.

Ippy, Ivan, and Justin are so different: I would watch all three if they had shows. I've got a girl-crush on Martita, and I think watching her cook would be fun.

Aceon6
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I think they're setting up for an Ivan vs Justin finish. Ippy can't carry a show, Martie's too Paula Dean, Nikki's been too inconsistent and I don't think FN is ready for Michelle.

skatesindreams
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
^^^
All of the above.

Martita wasn't camera-ready enough; so she's gone.

There's something about Nikki I don't care for.
She seems "phony" and insincere.

KHenry14
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I think they're setting up for an Ivan vs Justin finish. Ippy can't carry a show, Martie's too Paula Dean, Nikki's been too inconsistent and I don't think FN is ready for Michelle.

This is spot on.

BTW, I didn't like the "sabotage" show that they aired last night. It put the chef's in an unfair situation that they would have no way to be ready to deal with. These aren't trained personalities, and it's just not right to expect them to deal with the type of challenges that they threw at them.

For the record, I'd definately watch Justin's show, but probably not anyone else's.

kwanfan1818
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Argh, already I missed one. I thought the new episode was tonight.

I'm bummed about Martita, especially if Martie is still standing.

You're right that in the big picture, Ippy's not ready to carry a full show. It would be nice if they created a rotating one. Unless they have and I missed it after a Diners, Driveins, and Dives coma.

Matryeshka
07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
The show last night was so dumb. None of them are proposing a live TV show, and some of them had much harder sabotages. Nikki's was easy and she completely fell apart. While I think Martita should have been gone long ago, her challenge of not having her main ingredient was so much harder than Ivan's, who just had to talk loud. It should have been the same for all of them.

ArtisticFan
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
The show last night was so dumb. None of them are proposing a live TV show, and some of them had much harder sabotages. Nikki's was easy and she completely fell apart. While I think Martita should have been gone long ago, her challenge of not having her main ingredient was so much harder than Ivan's, who just had to talk loud. It should have been the same for all of them.

I remember a few seasons back they did the sabotage thing pretty well. I think they were told to film a 90 second tip or something like that. They were sabotaged by not having the proper tool they would need. So they reach in the drawer expecting it only to find nothing. It made each of them show their creativity by using a different tool and it made them show their camera readiness by not showing how flustered they were at that time.

This time the the sabotages were just too out there. How many hecklers are going to show up on set of a cooking show? How many people are going to get up and leave? If the sound goes out, yes, you talk louder. If you don't have the ingredient or the blender doesn't work, you talk about what it would look like if you did have the right thing.

I'm glad to see Martita and her waxing and waning accent go.

skatesindreams
07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd watch occasional appearances by a few of them; and likely only Justin's show.

Reuven
07-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Michele is up in Roclkand, Maine as the chef at The Pearl (http://www.thepearlrockland.com/).

Matryeshka
07-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I think the most annoyed with this season is Bobby Flay. You could tell he was done after Eric left, and I think Alton's really pissed about Emily leaving.

KHenry14
07-16-2012, 03:09 AM
well, they cut Ippy and Nikki (no surprise) so Martie, Justin, Yvan, and Michelle get to do pilots. And honestly, they all were pretty good. But frankly, Justin's was AWESOME. Whether or not he wins isn't going to matter, as he'll have a job somewhere on TV.

This time around the public will be voting, so I'm off to stuff the ballot for Justin.

semillon27
07-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Today's episode was pretty predictable. We knew Nikki and Ippy were done, and the drama was which of Justin or Martie would go through. Of course they sent them both to make the public decide.

After the promos I am torn between Justin and Yvan. Martie is lovely but her pilot was awkward and the concept has been done before. While I love Michelle: 1) the pilot was too much Guy Fieri, and 2) I am not going to get the ingredients she uses here in the Midwest, and so I am just not going to cook her food. Justin was almost too similar to Alton, but hilarious and entertaining. Yvan was so warm and inviting and I would probably actually cook some of the food he makes. Hmm.

Matryeshka
07-16-2012, 03:44 AM
I'd like to see Yvan on FN and Justin on Cooking. I really want to vote for Justin, but honestly, I doubt I'd ever eat anything he cooks. While I know I'm not going to even attempt to cook the majority of what they show on FN, I do like the fantasy of maybe being inspired to get to the kitchen. I might think about cooking Yvan's sweet corn mac-and-cheese. I would never in a thousand years make aspic Ceasar salad. :yikes: I would never in a thousand years want to make aspic Ceasar salad.

I'm really sad Eric and Emily left. I think had the final should have been Eric, Emily, Justin, and either Ippy or Yvan. I like Ippy. Some of the others, I think their personalities would be grating after a while, but I think Ippy would grow on you, in a good way.

KHenry14
07-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd never make a creamed corn mac n cheese. ;) That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch his show, but Yvan better bring something something more interesting.

I actually would make an aspic like Justin demonstated, mostly because I LOVE a good Caesar Salad.

I also think we haven't seen the end of Ippy and Eric either. Both of them have good POV's and I think can be made to be better on TV.