PDA

View Full Version : Food Next Star - 15 contestants, 3 teams, and probably a diva or two!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Rex
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
I fell asleep. Who got canned??

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Judson.
He wasn't good at sharing himself on camera.
It seems he had a weight-loss story that he never revealed.
When he did, it didn't compensate for having no "persona" and limited skills.

kwanfan1818
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I thought they got rid of Eric :o

skatesindreams
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
He was eliminated last week.

kwanfan1818
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Oops, caught a re-run. I don't have Food Network at home, and I cram whenever I'm in a hotel room.

Rex
06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Judson.
He wasn't good at sharing himself on camera.
It seems he had a weight-loss story that he never revealed.
When he did, it didn't compensate for having no "persona" and limited skills.

Ohhhh, I thought he'd be next. It's true, he had zero charisma in front of the camera. I'm sure he has a fine career as a chef ahead of him though.

KHenry14
06-19-2012, 04:03 AM
Well, poor Linkie bit the dust on Sunday. tough spot for her, asked to make a dish she'd never heard of and getting little in the way of help. But IMO it didn't matter because there is no way she'd ever win the contest anyway. Nikki gets by again, but she isn't going to win either. Couple more to weed out before they get to the people who could actually win.

skatesindreams
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Some really renowned chefs have admitted that they have no talent for baking!

A baker who hopes to succeed in an arena like FNS, needs better general knowledge/skills than Linkie had.
A lesson for future contestants to keep in mind, as you never know what you will be asked to do.

danceronice
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Baking and cooking (especially restaurant line cooking) are totally different skill sets. One reason my a la carte instructor kind of let me slide on a fairly disastrous cuisine-kitchen mystery basket final was I'd been running the dessert station, and while my mystery-basket ap and entree were...well, not professional qualilty, his reaction to my test batch of pot au chocolate the first week was "Jen, if I weren't married..." He knew when I was running desserts and breads, I was there an hour before everyone else, had the table rolls out and ready, had the desserts ready or set for being made to order, was getting the doughs ready for the next day, etc. And I NEEDED to be there before the line cooks, because baking the breads involved careful measuring, staggered rising and proofing and baking times, a MUCH more prep, while the line cooks had to be ready to work hard and fast DURING service. VERY different mentality, very different set of skills.

Huh. That IS actually something of a gap on FN/CC, a BAKING show (not just necessarily desserts). But that would really require recruiting talent very differently from FNS...

skatesindreams
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
That IS actually something of a gap on FN/CC, a BAKING show (not just necessarily desserts). But that would really require recruiting talent very differently from FNS...

It would be interesting to watch a search for someone with that skillset who is also broadcast-friendly/ready.

cmkrcwi
06-20-2012, 01:09 AM
TLC has that "The Next Great Baker" show which is basically a competition for bakers.

I'm wondering if FNS is supposed to end up with one finalist from each team a la "The Voice" or will it be the last 2 or 3 standing who go to the finals.

I'm not sure if he'll win, but I'm guessing Justin will get a show.

danceronice
06-20-2012, 03:17 AM
It would be interesting to watch a search for someone with that skillset who is also broadcast-friendly/ready.

Or at least as close as anyone they get on FNS is...it would probably get you a very different set of people, assuming you went for BAKERS, not just pastry chefs or cake decorators.

skatesindreams
06-20-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure if he'll win, but I'm guessing Justin will get a show.

I think so, too.

Buddy on "Cake Boss"/The Next Great Baker has never seemed particularly camera-friendly to me.
I can't imagine him "teaching" the viewer about baking in a way they would watch on a regular basis.

danceronice
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Cake Boss and the cake shows are more decorators, not bakers. In the case of Charm City Cakes, the one person I know who's had one of their cakes said they taste like sawdust and the fondant is marshmallowy. Those things are about looks, not taste.

I'd like to see one, too, that didn't interperet "baking" as "cakes." I would suspect more people could use a procedural in bread-making than in cuisine cooking (as there's a lot more leeway--you have to REALLY screw up to render cuisine-kitchen food inedible, while it doesn't take much to wreck a batch of dough.)

skatesindreams
06-20-2012, 03:17 PM
That's the problem I've always had with Wedding/Occasion cakes.
No one seems to care what the cake tastes like!