PDA

View Full Version : Food Next Star - 15 contestants, 3 teams, and probably a diva or two!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Scintillation
05-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Even Anthony Bourdain gave him respect in his book Kitchen Confidential--he said he is a good chef and a good businessman. Yeah he's a dick but guess what so are many many other successful executive chefs. You can't be a lauded chef in NYC while being mediocre, that place is way too competitive.
I still need to watch the intro episode, but I thought Bobby's belief that he needed to pick people that can cook first was spot on. Giada....ugh. I used to like her. Now I can hardly stand her.

skatesindreams
05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
I thought Bobby's belief that he needed to pick people that can cook first was spot on.

He's right. TV production skills can be taught.
He shouldn't have to "fix" a poor cook, at this level.

Most audiences can tell whether a dish is good, even if they can't taste it; and whether a chef is someone they would like to watch again.

Josh...NO!

Matryeshka
05-14-2012, 07:42 PM
^ITA. If you look up most successful chefs on FN, their first season was awkward and horrible. You stayed with them because of what's on the plate. Tyler Florence is still awkward sometimes, and he's one of my favorites-his food speaks for itself. His French onion soup is divine.

danceronice
05-14-2012, 11:21 PM
My sister is a professional chef, and she and her colleagues have a lot of respect for him. They may not like him, but that's a different animal. The only chef I've heard speak negatively about Flay is Bourdain, and I think a lot of that is pure jealousy. I've eaten in his restaurants in New York and Vegas and they were :swoon:

You know he had nothing to do with the food prep at either place, right? I doubt he's seen a line in years. I'm sure he was good to start out (Bourdain was no slouch either) but he quit being an actual chef ages ago. Though being a celebrity does seemed to have mellowed out the "ass" qualities, too.

He's good at selling his brand. He wouldn't be my first choice to work under if I wanted to learn to run a normal high-end restaurant.

And like I said--he's done "worst cooks". He KNOWS how this style competition works. He's done way more competitive-cooking shows than Alton and Giada combined (speaking of non-chefs...I can't really blame Giada if she's picking her people by looks, considering....) He's got to have an eye by now for what the producers want out of the "amateurs" and more experience weeding them out. Giada's boy was trying too hard, and Alton's girl whats-her-name was just...I mean, yeah, it's hard to talk off the cuff to the camera but she looked like she was going to throw up or faint.

ilovepaydays
05-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Watching the re-run of last week's episode - yeah, I would want to want to be on Bobby's team as well.

What on earth was Team Alton thinking with that black-eyed pea puree? Goodness. I also thought that deviled eggs were WAY to simple of a dish for this competition.

So far, I like Emily, Linkie, Ippy, and Eric. The rest are just fillers. I still think someone has got to be "the diva" or just plain crazy - remember Penny from last year or Dzintra from two years ago?

Matryeshka
05-28-2012, 03:11 AM
I misunderestimated Team Giada. Once they off the annoying rock star, her team is pretty strong. Linkie and Ippy are contendahs.

While I'm not sure I'd like Nikki's food or the whole "girl on grill" concept, I like her polish and don't find her scripted. I want someone that knows what they're talking about and doesn't have to rely on some made-up family memory.

jeffisjeff
05-28-2012, 04:31 AM
OK, so we know Michele was on Chopped previously, and Ivan said he was as well. But I am thinking Justin was as well. Anyone know? I know I've seen him before somewhere.

skatesindreams
05-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Delighted at the departure of "annoying rock-star".
His persona was so off-putting that whether his food/culinary POV might have been good didn't matter.

caseyedwards
05-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Josh was on borrowed time anyway.

reckless
05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
You know he had nothing to do with the food prep at either place, right? I doubt he's seen a line in years. I'm sure he was good to start out (Bourdain was no slouch either) but he quit being an actual chef ages ago. Though being a celebrity does seemed to have mellowed out the "ass" qualities, too.

He's good at selling his brand. He wouldn't be my first choice to work under if I wanted to learn to run a normal high-end restaurant.
I'm not sure what you mean by Flay not being involved in food prep. He may not work the line, but he oversees the cooking at the restaurants and develops recipes. I've personally seen him at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas on more than one occasion. He has a chef de cuisine who runs the day-to-day operations, which is what a lot of chefs with multiple restaurants do. But it's still his restaurant and his reputation on the line if the food isn't good, and from all accounts, he is pretty hands-on in ensuring the quality of the food.

rfisher
05-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I did think it was a bit annoying that they told Nikki that "girl on grill" was too sexually suggestive when Bobby Flay's Boy Meets Grill is not. I don't think she'll last long in any event. My early faves are Eppy, Justin (he's quirky enough to be entertaining) and Linkie. Michelle is annoying. And Josh could have left two weeks ago.

Aceon6
05-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm really getting into Eric. I'd watch his show to find out how to do "from scratch" with severe time constraints.

skatesindreams
05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Justin (he's quirky enough to be entertaining)

I want to find out if he can really cook.
"Quirky" is not enough; although he could appeal to a younger/hipper audience than FN usually has.

Can Eric make his "slow food"/from scratch approach "present" well on camera?

KHenry14
05-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Right now, my final three are Eric, Ippy, and Justin. All three have interesting POV's, and all three can really cook.

Nikki will be one of those finalists who get brought along longer than she should be because the judges keep thinking she'll get better...and ultimately she wont.

kwanfan1818
06-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I was channel surfing today and caught the end of an episode. I think they eliminated the only person whose show I'd actually watch.