PDA

View Full Version : Let's celebrate the sandwich

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Rob
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I had a Subway Blackforest ham and provolone on flat bread with lot of veggies today.

BLT - my fave
Crab cake or soft shell crab.
Oyster po boy
Pulled pork with cole slaw on top.
Italian cold cut panini
roast beef and provolone on rye with dijon mustard and mayo,
crusin's mozz/tom.
Tomato salt pepper mayo sourdough or white bread

Fave store brand: Corner Bakery Chicken Pomodori. (high cal!)

I also like PotBelly.

skateboy
05-14-2012, 11:23 PM
All these sandwiches sound SOOOOOOOO good, I want to eat one right now. But I am in the midst of a strict low-carb diet--I've got two or three weeks left and I have to stick to the plan. Damn.

I will not cheat, I will not cheat...

DarrellH
05-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Sliced Turkey and warm Brie on a warm baguette with a raspberry mayo.

Aussie Willy
05-15-2012, 02:15 AM
There is sometimes nothing better than a good old toasted cheese sandwich.

IceAlisa
05-15-2012, 02:31 AM

Mini Ice would agree. :)

Holley Calmes
05-15-2012, 03:48 AM

Indeed. I have taken to using several different cheeses at once: sharp cheddar, Muenster, and some Spainsh white cheeses I can't remember the name....but they're heaven! of course, the best part is that you have to totally butter the bread on the outside before frying it in the pan. At least that's my way...

Here's another weird one I adore: peanut butter and dill pickle....

allezfred
05-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Favourite sandwich? Anything that doesn't have cheese. Spawn of the devil. :scream:

Jenny
05-15-2012, 01:01 PM
All these sandwiches sound SOOOOOOOO good, I want to eat one right now. But I am in the midst of a strict low-carb diet--I've got two or three weeks left and I have to stick to the plan. Damn.

Been there done that - stay strong! When you get to the point where you can up your carb count a little, look for brands of bread that do extra thin slices (I think Pepperidge has one, and a brand we can get here called Hollywood Thins), and try either half sandwiches or open faced so you only eat one slice, but still get all the enjoyment of a sandwich.

NinjaTurtles
05-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Make some oopsie rolls and have a sandwich: http://www.food.com/recipe/cleochatras-oopsie-rolls-292261 :)

taf2002
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
What's not to love about sandwiches!

I love a Monte Christo, original batterd deep fried version (I like a combination Stawberry preserve mixed with sour cream to dip it in)
BLT (with homegrown tomato, Hellmann's mayonnaise and thick cut bacon)
I also make a killer Lebonese pocket bread sandwich
Homemade submarine hoagies
These are a few of my favorites.

Gypsy, where do you find real Lebanese pocket bread? Pitas are just NOT the same thing. I had a pocket bread sandwich when I was 16 in Beirut & I never forgot how wonderful it was. The meat was grilled lamb with the yogurt dressing. Yum.

When I make grilled cheese I put a slice of black forest ham on it with mustard & sometimes sweet pickle relish.

FigureSpins
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Are "Lebanese Pocket Breads" triangular-shaped? The Middle Eastern Bakery in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn makes them - they're wonderful. My MIL used to call them "Syrian bread." She served them with thin pork sausages cooked in a garlic tomato sauce. I settled for some really good pita bread last month with sausage from Faicco's in Brooklyn that I brought back on my last visit, but Pitas are not the same, as you said. The pocket breads are light and airy with a nice crust and a big inside pocket.

Things you lose when you move out of NYC - really good sausages and variety of breads.

Jenny
05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Things you lose when you move out of NYC - really good sausages and variety of breads.

And the cream cheese :swoon:

I used to live on the Upper West Side - walking distance to Fairway and Citerella, across the Park from Dean and Deluca. Even my corner grocer (the aforementioned Broadway Farms) had a fabulous selection of cheeses - and open 24 hours!

The only food I could never find in NY was a good cheddar. So-called artisanal cheddar from Wisconsin or Vermont was always disappointing, and what was labelled "sharp" was run of the mill "medium" in my books.:P

IceAlisa
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
San Francisco has an amazing cheese store on the corner of Polk and Pacific. Not sure if the old owner is still there but if he is, it's a worthwhile experience. He had cheeses from everywhere, including Corsica. And he knew so much about them and how to pair them with foods, it was like a Food Channel show, live. :swoon:

Gypsy
05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Gypsy, where do you find real Lebanese pocket bread? Pitas are just NOT the same thing. I had a pocket bread sandwich when I was 16 in Beirut & I never forgot how wonderful it was. The meat was grilled lamb with the yogurt dressing. Yum.

It is not easy. Although here in the St Paul area there are few Lebanese markets (and I have a dear friend who is Lebanese as well).

I have had to settle for pita pockets, but there is also a flat bread company here who has the most amazing flat bread I have ever eaten (not to mention their Lemony Garlic Hummus). And they have the best Baklava I have ever tasted.

Another thing I love is Lavash. Just top with fresh onion, peppers, sliced olives and some sharp cheddar cheese and put in the broiler until the cheese is melted...YUM.

As for good cheese, I think Minnesota has better cheese shops than our neighbor! ;)
Okay, now I am making myself hungry!!!