PDA

View Full Version : Let's celebrate the sandwich

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Japanfan
05-13-2012, 06:43 AM
I think the idea of the sandwich came into being far longer than 250 years ago. It would have followed shortly after the invention of flat bread/risen bread, which was naturally used to mop up meat juices.

I don't eat a lot of sandwiches because I'm not really a bread person and am fussy about the naturalness of my ingredients - no Subway or MacDonalds for me, thank you.

A good pastrami on rye is divine,however, as is a home-made tuna salad sandwich with avocado and lots of lettuce.

I had a killer BBQ sandwich in Arizona yesterday and am eternally fond of egg salad sandwiches with avocado (love it obviously).

Peanut butter and jam or banana also hits the spot. I don't eat them often though because I'm one of those who can't keep her finger out of the peanut butter jar.:eek:

Aussie Willy
05-13-2012, 08:31 AM
I think the idea of the sandwich came into being far longer than 250 years ago. It would have followed shortly after the invention of flat bread/risen bread, which was naturally used to mop up meat juices.

I am sure if they asked the question on Stephen Fry's QI then you would get a totally different answer to who invented the sandwich.

Cachoo
05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
cruisin--your sandwich favorite isn't too far off from one of my faves---just substitute roasted red peppers for tomato and a really mellow cream cheese for the mozzarella...

I'm all about eggs: egg salad, fried egg and bacon sandwich (runny yolk necessary), scrambled eggs with whatever cheese, herbs around on a thick slice of toast, croque monsieur....there is so much you can do with an egg.

When I have a sweet tooth I'll go for a Monte Christo with raspberry preserves and yes--there does need to be powdered sugar dusted on top..

My relatives in New Jersey (they live near Philly) introduced me to the cheesesteak when I was a kid. I think the deli they love is still open ---Martino's---anyway I like a good cheesesteak.

I want to talk about Lebanese meat and cheese pies (like a square version of a bierock) but I'm not sure they qualify.

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Love many sandwiches!
My favorite:

BLT
Hellmann's mayonnaise
With ripe home-grown tomatoes, if possible.

michiruwater
05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I am a devotee of the tuna sandwich. Mayo made with olive oil, some sort of sweet relish (no HFCS), and a good whole grain mustard, with slices of ripe tomato, on home-made whole wheat. Yes.

IceAlisa
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Sometimes I make a sardine sandwich. I mash up boneless, skinless sardines with some Dijon mustard, a drop of vinegar, lemon zest and a bit of extra virgin olive oil on rye. The lemon zest (very finely grated) really makes it sing.

skatesindreams
05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
IceAlisa, that combo was part of my Scandinavian heritage, as well.

cruisin
05-14-2012, 02:48 AM
But I won't say no to a hearty brisket sandwich on rye either, depends on my mood.

:respec: sandwich!

Brisket on rye with horseradish! Heaven!

Holley Calmes
05-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Horseradish itself is heaven...

IceAlisa
05-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Brisket on rye with horseradish! Heaven!

:swoon:

Gypsy
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
What's not to love about sandwiches!

I love a Monte Christo, original batterd deep fried version (I like a combination Stawberry preserve mixed with sour cream to dip it in)
BLT (with homegrown tomato, Hellmann's mayonnaise and thick cut bacon)
I also make a killer Lebonese pocket bread sandwich
Homemade submarine hoagies
These are a few of my favorites.

FigureSpins
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
In a diner, BLT or a Turkey Club.

Progresso Tuna (in olive oil) with green olives and a little onion on rye-and-pump swirl.

Tomato-basil-mozzarella panini from Panera

Semolina bread hero with salami, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, marinated mushrooms and roasted red peppers. (with a drizzle of olive oil) Favorite tailgate / picnic sandwich.

My new favorite sandwich is from the Corner Bakery Cafe' in Dallas, TX. D.C. Chicken Salad on whole-grain bread with sunflower seeds. (Roasted chicken, toasted almonds, apples, celery, red onion, currants and a little mayo.) This chain doesn't have a cafe' here, so I make it at home.

cruisin
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Diner sandwiches - comfort food - Happy Waitress Special - open faced tuna on rye toast with tomato slices and melted American cheese on top! Yum!

Jenny
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
A thread after my own heart! We love watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and often joke about the sandwiches we'd serve at our own place. Here are our favourites:

Beef on weck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich) - thank you again to FSUer Badams from bringing this one to my attention! - we don't have actual kummelweck rolls around here, so we make caraway butter and serve the sandwich on ciabatta, but otherwise we are true to the real thing. We even bought a meat slicer just so we could do this one right. :lol:

Broadway Farms special - an homage to the local supermarket deli where I lived in New York - shaved roast beef, vinagery slaw, slice of mild cheddar and Russian dressing on a roll - LOVE.

Saturday night special - we often have this satisfying sammie before going out - sauteed peppers and onions on a roll with herb salad (finely chopped parsley, chives, thyme, basil, whatever you have) and a slice of provolone. Hubby likes his with mushrooms too. :)

Tuna melt - over the years I've added minced red pepper and chopped cilantro to the usual mayo/celery/onions. Top with a slice of tomato on any type of bread or pita, broil with a slice of cheddar. This one is my cat's particular favourite - I swear he knows when I'm even thinking about making this.

Tea sandwiches!!!! Love a plate of these with tea, followed of course by scones with jam and cream :swoon: - cucumber, white pepper and fresh mint on white bread spread with cream cheese; Coronation Chicken (my version is chicken, celery, golden raisins, curry powder and mayo) on brown bread; creamed avocado with thin slices of tomato; shredded radish with poppy seeds creamed into cream cheese or homemade butter, served open face because it's so pretty. :)

Chicken salad - I don't eat chicken much any more, but when I did, my favourite was to get all the bits off a carcass and make a salad with onions, lots of pepper and mayo, and shaker parmesan cheese and served that on toast with lots of shredded lettuce.

Love a banh mi! This is the first version (http://http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/02/banhmi) we tried, and since then we've made them with sliced pork, subbed in braunschweiger for the pate, and tried this version with pork meatballs (http://http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/01/pork_meatball_banh_mi) - the flavours are so great together that it's fun to try variations, no?

BLTs, sure, but as a kid I eventually pared it down to the best parts, and from time to time still make one of my favourite comfort foods, a BLT, hold the BL! Sliced tomatoes on well buttered toast with loads of mayo and pepper - doesn't get much better than that. I always make this when we score really fresh tomatoes.

And gooey grill cheese from a diner is the best. I don't like the idea of process cheese so I don't have it at home, so once or twice a year I indulge - love it with a buttery, finger licking outside, oozy inside, and lots of ketchup to dip.

And Grannyfan I love pimiento cheese! I have it on crackers though, and use the version in the excellent book by Martha Hall Foose called Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.

Susan1
05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
If we're talking strictly "sandwich" (not counting your various cheeseburgers or grilled cheese), the best sandwich I ever had was the Hot Sicilian at TGI Fridays. It was ham, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and bacon (heart attack on a plate, right?). There was a little bit of some sort of salad dressing on it (and shredded lettuce and a tomato, which I took off). The grease ran down the side of your hand, but boy, was that good. I used to moan. They stopped making them a long time ago. They stopped making steak on a stick too, which was my favorite before I tried the Hot Sicilian. I haven't been to Friday's since both of those were gone.