PDA

View Full Version : Makeup questions and recommendations

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Zemgirl
05-16-2012, 10:31 AM
I say good brushes are a must. You only need a few good brushes. Try Sigma brushes. They are very economical as are Ecotools and Sonia Kashuk. M.A.C brushes are excellent and bit more expensive. Different brushes from different brands.

If you want can give you some actual brushes I would suggest for eyes and face.
Can I ask for suggestions? I'm trying to expand my very limited makeup skills and collection and I haven't the slightest re where to start. One thing, though: I can't get many of the products that are easily available in the US, at least not for a reasonable price. My parents will be going to the West Coast this summer, so I can have my mom pick some things up for me, but this means they have to be 1. really easy to find and 2. relatively inexpensive, because there's only so much I can ask for ;) Oh, and I don't use anything animal tested, which isn't as relevant for brushes but I figured I'd just add that.

Any thoughts?

Alexa5
05-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Though I occasionally buy one primer or foundation to have on hand, I never use it. For many years I have simply used Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer, spf 15--the plain one without tint, though they do have a tinted one.

Cover Girl Clean Pressed Powder has been what I use over it--and that is all I really need. I like that it provides some coverage without having liquid makeup all over my face.

I did buy the Garnier BB, and it was nice, but it only reminded me I don't like wearing tinted moisturizers. I think the difference with BB's is that they also contain some products used for antiaging, etc, whereas tinted moisturizers are usually mainly moisturizer and a little color.

I was having trouble with eyeliner last summer so I switched to Revlon colorstay, and that really works/stays on.

As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush. I use Revlon Grow Luscious and Loreal Lash Out. The Revlon helps my lashes growth a little bit, but I don't like to use it every day. They both stay on nicely though.

Editing to add-- I avoid products that require a brush. I love Revlon Cream blush.... it is a great blush that is easy to apply with your fingers. I just don't like the hassle of brushes, and so far no product that I use requires it except for when I occasionally wear eyeshadow, and those often come with a little brush.

Holley Calmes
05-16-2012, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Gazpacho;3569663]
:scream: you don't cut yourself? What kind of razor do you use, and what kind of shaving cream? QUOTE]

I actually was instructed to do this by a dermatologist I went to when I was about 33 years old. I am now 64, and most people meeting me think I am between 45-50. I truly think exfoliating this way has made a huge difference in the fact that my skin hasn't aged as much as I expected.

The dermatologist told me to wash my face with whatever cleanser I used, making sure the skin was clean. He then said to take Dove soap and put a good lather all over my face. Then I used (and still use) a simple cheap men's razor-the disposable kind. You simply and very lightly scrape the lather off in downward motions. You don't bear down hardly at all.

In 31 years, I have yet to cut myself. I don't use Dove soap anymore though. I use Clarin's Exfoliant with Orange. It just works for me. However, when I first started doing this, another girlfriend was also doing it (still is) and she told me all models and actresses shave their faces. of course, that was then...but I always still look closely at photos of famous faces. It is easy to spot who does and who doesn't by the downy hair that everyone has somewhere on their face. Plus, those who "do" seem to have better skin tone and clarity.

Just try it! Don't be scared!

Edited to say....and of course you aren't going to grow a beard or anything like that!! Unless you have a hormone imbalance or some other physical ailment that promotes estrogen being replaced by testosterone, you aren't going to sprout hairs that weren't there before, or make the ones you shave off any darker or thicker than they originally were, which is usually a pale, fine hair anyway.

vesperholly
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush.

Agreed! Maybelline Full 'n Soft waterproof is my favorite. It's the closest thing I've been able to find to replace Max Factor Lashfinity (RIP).

Zemgirl, do you have Walmart? They have a nice range of very inexpensive brushes that are actually high quality. I particularly love their powder brush. The two-tone hair brushes and the white hair brushes are the best.

Here's a link to a review and pictures, though some have been discontinued (the deluxe duo eye set, the short white eye brush):

http://karlasugar.net/2010/04/the-brushes-of-walmart/

Zemgirl
05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Zemgirl, do you have Walmart? They have a nice range of very inexpensive brushes that are actually high quality. I particularly love their powder brush. The two-tone hair brushes and the white hair brushes are the best.
No Walmart... basically no American big box stores or drugstores. No Sephora, either. Maybe one day? We have been getting more clothing brands in recent years so I am cautiously optimistic (though I'm still quite envious when reading through the what to wear thread).

I think I might be able to order stuff from Amazon and ship it to some US-base friends, though.

topaz
05-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Can I ask for suggestions? I'm trying to expand my very limited makeup skills and collection and I haven't the slightest re where to start. One thing, though: I can't get many of the products that are easily available in the US, at least not for a reasonable price. My parents will be going to the West Coast this summer, so I can have my mom pick some things up for me, but this means they have to be 1. really easy to find and 2. relatively inexpensive, because there's only so much I can ask for ;) Oh, and I don't use anything animal tested, which isn't as relevant for brushes but I figured I'd just add that.

Any thoughts?

Sigma Brushes are online and I think they ship internationally.

Sigma Beauty (http://www.sigmabeauty.com/default.asp)

Face and Eye kits (http://www.sigmabeauty.com/category_s/117.htm)

I would recommend the eye kit @$52 or get the eye kit or the face kit. Ecotools and real techniques are good also. Real Techniques Brushes (http://realtechniques.com/shop-collection/your-base-flawless/core-collection) are made by makeup artist Samantha Chapman who has a youtube channel called Pixiwoo which has a cult following on youtube. Sam is a fantastic makeup artist and the tutorials are great. Real Technique brushes are very affordable.

my little pony
05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
uk.spacenk.com delivers to israel. i love their concealer.

topaz
05-17-2012, 07:24 PM
As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush. I use Revlon Grow Luscious and Loreal Lash Out. The Revlon helps my lashes growth a little bit, but I don't like to use it every day. They both stay on nicely though.

FYI, clumping is mostly caused by human error. Everyone should be wiping off the excess mascara from the brush before applying it on a paper towel, most don't do that.Most people remove the wand from tube and they jump go to work on their lashes, applying two to three coats from the get go. This will cause clumping of mascara.

Another reason is the brush or formula. Different mascara formulas work for different lashes. Creamy to dry or wet formula. Different texture for lashes require different formulas.

Also, the bigger the brush the more product is applied to the lashes. I like some of the plastic brushes, diorshow's iconic and urban decay skyscraper have incredible brushes but these mascaras are for definining and lengthening. The brush is more like a comb.

I've tested at least 35 mascaras of the years and this has been my experience.

Also, I'll be updating my blog later today. http://getting-pretty.com

Zemgirl
05-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Sigma Brushes are online and I think they ship internationally.
I would recommend the eye kit @$52 or get the eye kit or the face kit. Ecotools and real techniques are good also. Real Techniques Brushes (http://realtechniques.com/shop-collection/your-base-flawless/core-collection) are made by makeup artist Samantha Chapman who has a youtube channel called Pixiwoo which has a cult following on youtube. Sam is a fantastic makeup artist and the tutorials are great. Real Technique brushes are very affordable.
Oh, I've seen some of the Pixiwoo tutorials - it's certainly beyond my abilities to replicate what she does but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I looked at the Sigma website and they do ship worldwide, though they don't state the rates until you're at checkout (argh). But I can get some Ecotools and Real Techniques brushes on Amazon so I might do that instead.

Thanks so much! And also thank you my little pony for the suggestions. The cost of makeup and cosmetics here is obscene.

my little pony
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Another reason is the brush or formula. Different mascara formulas work for different lashes. Creamy to dry or wet formula. Different texture for lashes require different formulas.

this is true for all types of makeup, but esp for mascara in my experience

i buy every mascara recommended to me and my eyelashes rebel every time

my little pony
05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
makeup alley has a lot of users and it is free. a fast way of finding makeup companies that will ship to you would be to sign up and ask about international shipping on their message board.