PDA

View Full Version : Makeup questions and recommendations

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Veronika
05-13-2012, 05:04 PM
2. BB cream. Hullo. As my friend said to me a month after I kept sending crazy BB cream emails, "OK, I am now on the BB Band Wagon. I look like a beautiful porcelain doll and I'm going to cry."

Basically, you end up looking like you're not wearing any make-up, but you were just BORN PERFECT. And remained that way through adulthood.

I have the Garnier BB cream and I like it--but they only have 2 shades and the light/medium is very dark for my skintone. (I wear the lightest foundation shade in any line, and sometimes that is too dark for my skin. I'm "light ivory" aka "almost albino.") I would pretty much rave about the Garnier BB cream if it came in a lighter shade.

my little pony
05-13-2012, 05:09 PM
i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizer

also, i'm very oily but i still think powder sets in lines i didnt even know i had and makes me look old and crepey

Quintuple
05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I have the Garnier BB cream and I like it--but they only have 2 shades and the light/medium is very dark for my skintone. (I wear the lightest foundation shade in any line, and sometimes that is too dark for my skin. I'm "light ivory" aka "almost albino.") I would pretty much rave about the Garnier BB cream if it came in a lighter shade.

Ooh gurl, I finally found my candidate to give my crazy vampire tubes of BB cream to. I'm Asian, so any American brands are too pink for me. I don't consider myself tan, yet the default Korean color is too gray for me. I actually have to go all Iman jungle darkness when it comes to BB cream, which is weird.

There's this "almost albino" Swedish gal I know, so I'm giving her the craziest one I have: Skin79 THE ORIENTAL BOLD BB CREAM PLUS (super turbo mega). I call the tone "beyond geisha". It's insane. Same goes for the purple bottle version of the same thing (no gold in it!).

Try it!

Quintuple
05-13-2012, 09:00 PM

also, i'm very oily but i still think powder sets in lines i didnt even know i had and makes me look old and crepey

I concur, thus the Korean brands. America, like always, is like 10 years behind.

barbk
05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Are any of them meant for fair skin (not palest, but 2-3 on a 10 scale of pale) with rosy undertones?

I find that most foundation ends up showing some dry patches after five or six hours even when I've moisturized the heck out of my skin first. I've done better with the Bare Ecentuals minerals powder than I've done with the liquids I've tried. I've definitely got the T-zone thing going on.

shutterbug
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
5. I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within two hours.

I had exactly the same problem. Drove me crazy until I found this: Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara (http://www.esteelauder.com/product/637/3513/Product-Catalog/Makeup/Eyes/Mascara/Double-Wear/Zero-Smudge-Lengthening-Mascara/index.tmpl) Doesn’t smudge at all, even when I rub my eyes, but still washes off with soap & water. I use the EL Lash Primer as well.

Andora
05-14-2012, 12:59 AM

I've heard pretty much the same thing about all the new American BB creams that have suddenly shown up on the market. Musings Of A Muse discusses it in better detail. I'll stick with Tinted Moisturizer until things change fully.

As for powder, Clinique's Super Balanced is the only stuff that doesn't settle and manages to last all day. Otherwise, I can only use a SUPER thin/light setting powder over foundation on certain areas like my nose and chin. I surprisingly found Maybelline's translucent mineral powder is perfect for this, with a brush that dusts it as opposed to pressing it in.

Mary Kay girl here...

Colour me on board with this line of late. A friend sells it and has sold me into it. The cream eyeshadows are fantastic with colours I've been seeking for AGES. It's crease-proof and I forget I have it on. The Ultimate mascara is perfect for day to day wear, and I just put it through two baseball games. I've generally had to stick to waterproof when I play, but I find pretty much all waterproof formulas are chalky and too prone to clumping.

I'm excited to get into the tinted moisturizers and get my own under eye concealer. I used my friend's, and I loved it. In the meantime, I've used Maybelline's Magic Eraser concealer in a pretty highlight/pinkish colour that was suggested as a good Touche Eclat dupe. Pretty much if I'm going to go drugstore brand, it's Maybelline first. I'm just finding myself generally happy with their products lately.

my little pony
05-14-2012, 02:42 AM
what korean brands of bb creme do you like? my korean market sells beauty products but i havent looked for bb creme there.

Quintuple
05-14-2012, 06:45 AM
what korean brands of bb creme do you like? my korean market sells beauty products but i havent looked for bb creme there.

There's a million brands, but my favorite is Dr. Young. On the more expensive side!

Amongst the best of the not-so-expensive ones are Skin79 (specifically - the Hot Pink one is more moisturizing, the Gold Plus is more matte; doesn't make you look cakey, doesn't feel gross at the end of the day), Missha (definitely a more "make-up" feel and look, and a little perfumy, but most everyone swears by it), and then there's Etude House and Hanskin (haven't tried them yet).

Missha Perfect Cover (red) has the most shades - from crazy albino (13), to just normal pale person (21), to the default beige look (23), getting up to my level of tan (27), and then really tan (31).

In spirit, all of them are supposed to oxidize and blend to your actual color, but I would definitely say the "one shade" Korean ones are very pale.

I think the best shade for both Asian and white people of medium complexion is Clinique 02.

If you get "shimmery", that means that you'll literally have crushed pearls on your face. And gold means that there's apparently gold in it.

A trick: I'm told the "men's" BB cream is actually just more tan and sweatproof. So if that's for you, go for it! I should try some.

The best at Sephora is Dr. Jart (you look frighteningly perfect), but I felt a little clogged at the end of the day. They have Clinique too. I don't like all the others there.

I say this: Go to the Korean market, start at the beauty counter, let the eager lady run a bunch of swatches on your face with each of her fingers, like warpaint, walk around and get some muscat gummies and stare at the many varieties of Pocky and all the crazy models on the Palty boxes, then come back and see all the color "settled", and decide!

Gazpacho
05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm totally not a makeup girl and had been blessed with skin that makes most people envious. But I'm starting to face the facts of age, and my skin isn't what it was 10 years ago :mad: My job also expects that I wear some makeup.

Two more questions:

First, Sally Hansen used to make a product called Invisible Lip Liner. It went on clear, and it would prevent your lipstick from going any further than the edges of your lip. I can't find it in stores anymore and think it was probably discontinued. Is there another product like this?

Second, I sweat a lot, and in the summer I'll sweat even more. Are any foundations particularly bad for sweaty people?

And I'll contribute this website in case people aren't aware: current cosmetics gift-with-purchase offers (http://mygiftwithpurchase.com/)

I have the same problem as you. Go for gel liners. I use Smashbox's and it stays on foreverWhich one is that on the Smashbox page (http://www.smashbox.com/products/6028/Eyes/Eye-Liner/index.tmpl)?

i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizerWhat are BB creams? I never heard of them before. And I assume tinted moisturizers are what they sound like, but how do they differ from foundations?

I have been a makeup junkie all my life, and I've gone from snob to drug-store choices and I'm just as happy with the less expensive. I used to never touch anything that wasn't Lauder or one of the upper end store brands. Now I've discovered L'Oriel and Revlon, and I swear they are just as good.I went to the drugstore today, and I don't know how to choose the right color because you can't test them. How it looks in the bottle isn't always how it looks on your skin. Is there a way to get some mini-samples to find your right color?

I know this sounds crazy, but I absolutely recommend taking a razor and shaving your face in downward motions. This is nothing but a simple and very effective exfoliant. I've been doing it for 30 years, and believe me, it does NOT promote facial hair growth!! Different products work for different people. :scream: you don't cut yourself? What kind of razor do you use, and what kind of shaving cream?

Mary Kay girl hereHow do I buy Mary Kay products? I don't know any Mary Kay sales reps.

beepbeep
05-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Which one is that on the Smashbox page (http://www.smashbox.com/products/6028/Eyes/Eye-Liner/index.tmpl)?

Jet Set, Midnight black

Anita18
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
What are BB creams? I never heard of them before. And I assume tinted moisturizers are what they sound like, but how do they differ from foundations?

I went to the drugstore today, and I don't know how to choose the right color because you can't test them. How it looks in the bottle isn't always how it looks on your skin. Is there a way to get some mini-samples to find your right color?
BB creams are apparently "beauty balms." I hadn't heard of them until my last foray onto the Sephora website, so can't help you there. :lol:

Tinted moisturizers are less pigmented than foundations, and give lighter coverage. It's probably a good idea for you, since you aren't used to seeing yourself with makeup on. I usually only wear concealer on my red spots, and when I go all the way with foundation, I think I look like a mannequin. :lol: Some people even make them by mixing their favorite facial moisturizer with powder foundation.

IIRC, many drugstores will take makeup returns if it's the wrong color, even if you've opened it. Not many stores have samples of them. I think it's cause they're so cheap already, why bother? :P If you go to Sephora and ask for a sample, they'll happily give you one. But yeah, Sephora has the higher-end stuff. Not sure if Ulta does the same. Ulta carries drugstore brands as well as some of the brands Sephora carries.

vesperholly
05-14-2012, 07:36 PM
IIRC, many drugstores will take makeup returns if it's the wrong color, even if you've opened it.

Yes, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens and Walmart will all take back used cosmetics with a receipt. Ulta and Sephora will take back items with or without a receipt, but Ulta is more begrudging than Sephora if you don't have a receipt.

HOWEVER, Target does not take back used cosmetics, so buy your Sonia Kashuk and Boots No. 7 wisely.

skatesindreams
05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
How do I buy Mary Kay products? I don't know any Mary Kay sales reps.

Try this:
http://www.marykay.com/whatsnew/newproducts/default.aspx

If you decide to contact a consultant there's a portal for that, too.
I've been happily using Mary Kay products for over thirty years.

topaz
05-15-2012, 12:15 AM
So I've never been a makeup girl, but age and my job are increasingly demanding it. So I'm looking for your fine wisdom.

1. There are all these primers out there--foundation primers, eye makeup primers, even mascara primers. I had never heard of primers until a few years ago. Do I really need them?

Answer: Depends on what you are looking for. I personally love primers. Eye primers definitely make eye shadow last longer, the color more vibrant and prevents creasing if you have oily lids. If you have normal or dry skin on eye lids like me, primers help the eye shadow adhere to something and the colors stay truer longer.

2. I'm looking for a foundation that has at least SPF 15, preferably more, is oil-free, and doesn't clog pores. Light to moderate coverage. Recommendations please!!

What are you looking to spend? A good drugstore brand is Revlon colorstay or Rimmel. Mid to higher end brands I would recommend Bobbi Brown, Makeup Forever, Nars, Lancome and Estee Lauder. You can try M.A.C. but in my opinion for the price of MAC you can spend a little more and get an Estee Lauder foundation. Estee Lauder is the owner and makes MAC products. But they do it better under the tag Estee Lauder. Nars foundations are some of the best on the market.

I would go get some samples first before buying the product of the mid to higher end brands. The sample will last you 3 to 5 days and you'll get to see how the products for you, outside of the store. Sephora is a great store that offers a lot of brands and they give a good size samples too.

Non clogging pores products in my opinion are false advertisement. I'll tell you why. People think oil free you won't break out and that these products are for those with oily skin. True be told all skin needs some amount of moisture and natural oils provide a good way to moisturize. Also, any product and break anyone out. A product that may break me out may not do the same with you. Oil free products can clog pores too. The keep to non clogging pores is wash all the makeup off and exfoliate.

I would recommend a powder foundation over a liquid if you have oily skin.

[/quote]

3. Do you need both powder and foundation, or is foundation enough? If you need powder too, then I'm also looking for a powder that doesn't clog pores. If it has SPF, then even better. The more SPF, the better.

4. I have yet to find any eyeliner that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within a few hours. I've tried pencils, liquid, semi-liquid, you name it.

5. I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within two hours.

Urban Decay 24/7 or Makeup Forever Aqua Eye liners are THE BEST. Pencil form of these are great. Mascara is tricky. Waterproof or water resistant mascaras may help you but they are freaky pain to get out and they can damage lashes over time with prolonged use. You may want to try a lash primer(mascara base) or do not put mascara on the lower lashes. I just use a good gel or pencil liner on the water and lash line. Use waterproof or water resistant liners though.

6. How important it is it to have good makeup brushes?

7. What is the best way to clean your makeup brushes?

I say good brushes are a must. You only need a few good brushes. Try Sigma brushes. They are very economical as are Ecotools and Sonia Kashuk. M.A.C brushes are excellent and bit more expensive. Different brushes from different brands.

If you want can give you some actual brushes I would suggest for eyes and face.

I clean my brushes with Dawn dishwashing soap and a little olive oil(if they are natural bristles brushes). It's better than the brush cleaners and less expensive. This is the best video I"ve found on how to clean brushes. The video's author, Michelle Phan is a fantastic makeup artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdciJkmb7o&hd=1