PDA

View Full Version : Best Triple Axel by a male skater (Pick 3)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Katarzyna
05-13-2012, 01:19 AM
I totally agree. It would have been good to have her in the poll.
While I love Midori's triple axel I'm not sure if she would be fond to be nominated for best triple axel of a MALE skater. :lol:

Aussie Willy
05-13-2012, 01:43 AM
We need another poll.

Who had the best triple axel ever?
- Midori Ito
- Other

essence_of_soy
05-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Having seen Ito (and Harding) land their triple axels in person, both skaters had amazing speed going into the jump, each 3A was huge, and each covered tremendous distance.

nlyoung
05-13-2012, 03:11 AM
There was one pro competition, years back, where Kulik did a 3A and it was so quick and smooth the announcers called it a double. On the replay it was clearly a triple :cool:

Susan M
05-13-2012, 03:44 AM
While I love Midori's triple axel I'm not sure if she would be fond to be nominated for best triple axel of a MALE skater. :lol:
Besides which, hers was not as big or as pretty (or as reliable) as the ones the best guys did. Nobody, not man, woman, child or alien, did better triple axels than Kulik. At his best, Petrenko's were also particularly attractive.

dots
05-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Some of those people should never be in a best triple axel list.

Plushenko and Kulik had very awkaward ugly landings in their axels. (and many times tilted in the air)At least Yagudin wasn't as bad as those two.

Todd, Boitano, Abbott, Joubert...

Matt had a killer triple axel when on...his knees would sink so low in the landings. :swoon: I want to say Lee as well, but the truth is I remember so little of him.

Didn't Aleksander Abt had a beauty too. Or am I being bias? :P

Spazactaz
05-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I think Plushenko's is amaaaaaaaaaazing. And then Johnny's.

bardtoob
05-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Besides which, hers was not as big or as pretty (or as reliable) as the ones the best guys did. Nobody, not man, woman, child or alien, did better triple axels than Kulik. At his best, Petrenko's were also particularly attractive.

Ummm, that's exactly opposite of what the British commentator said at 1990 Worlds.

carriemarie
05-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I voted for Urmanov, whose was textbook when on, the Johnny's, who also was great. Kind of a toss up between Kulik and Yagudin for me in the third spot.

misskarne
05-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I love Ilia's. He always looks like he has the time for another rotation. I reckon if he'd put his mind to it, he really could have tried the quad axel. He just got so much height and length.

Plushy's is always awesome. It's not always huge, it's not always long, but it's ALWAYS rotated without fail. And then when he nails it, he absolutely nails it.

Petrenko's was lovely when he got it. There is a program - and no don't ask me which one, I don't remember - where he does it and the commentators start shrieking (I think it was Scott Hamilton) that he went half the rink. Oh, and to the moon. That was hilarious. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Of the current men, Gachinski's is actually very nice, and he gets incredible height. In the SP at Euros I thought he was going to break his neck trying to bring it down. It looked like he was trying to climb down a ladder!

And Josh Farris' is just lovely, I love it so much already. In the coming years I imagine it's only going to get better.

(I hope that by next season I can come back into this thread and start gushing about Jason Brown's!) :D

Jenny81
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Midori Ito in drag! :cool:

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3e9g_5e52mk

aftershocks
05-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Johnny's 3-axel takeoffs (seemingly effortless), air positions (gorgeous), landings (smooth as butter...) :swoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJhSo0pdWrs Zhivago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9yzlAiHFc The Swan

skateboy
05-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Oda. The height and those landings!!!

nubka
05-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Ummm, that's exactly opposite of what the British commentator said at 1990 Worlds.

Yeah, but eveybody knows he was smoking crack when he said it... :D

chipso1
05-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Jeremy Abbott should be in this poll, more so than Joubert, IMO.

Hanyu's is gorgeous as well.