PDA

View Full Version : Confess your sins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

VALuvsMKwan
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM
I HATE hip hop. How could such a jerky (in terms of movement), seemingly uncoordinated collection of awkward moves ever be translated into something pleasurable to watch on ice??? I don't like polkas either so maybe next season I I'll watch hockey instead.

Stephanie Rosenthal. Rockit. Search it out on YouTube and enjoy.

ETA - I guess not technically hip hop, but close enough for me.

satchelpooch318
05-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Stephanie Rosenthal. Rockit. Search it out on YouTube and enjoy.

ETA - I guess not technically hip hop, but close enough for me.

Another awesome "Rockit" from Ilia Kulik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8quRa2YB6Z8

And who can forget the final part of Tonya Harding's 1990/1991 LP to Tone Loc's "Wild Thing":
http://youtu.be/v8va2i2vENw

OK, so maybe Tonya's wasn't *as* awesome as Stephanie Rosenthal's or Ilia Kulik's...but you what all three programs are to me? Effectively out-of-the-box and creative. Their use of Hip-Hop music worked, and it didn't suck Balzacs! Awesome! To me, folks that have a blanket hate-on for Hip-Hop and other similar music styles in figure skating should consider getting off their stuffy musical high-horses and expand their minds and tastes a little more. Just a little, that's all!

(Oh, sorry to go off topic...that's my next sin to mention...I went off-topic to rant about my fandom of well-done use of Hip-Hop music in figure skating.)

gkelly
05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm no expert on what does or does not constitute hiphop, but the word has also been used in relation to these programs, so I'm wondering whether that's accurate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmdEFrn3OY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXHM5lzNR-E

Ziggy
05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
They still are my favourite! What's wrong with that? :P

Lack of technical ability.

One of the worst postures ever seen in Ice Dance (the worst as far as world medallists go?).

Rather cheestastic programs (but I loved them and still do :D).

Borderline xenophobia. Exactly what this thread needs. :rolleyes:

I'd say it was not so much borderline as pretty much outright. :lynch:

satchelpooch318
05-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm no expert on what does or does not constitute hiphop, but the word has also been used in relation to these programs, so I'm wondering whether that's accurate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmdEFrn3OY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXHM5lzNR-E

Both of those programs technically aren't Hip-Hop, as they are more in the realm of Electronica and dance music. However, there's a lot in common between these two styles (and other similar styles), in that they're all very modern-sounding, usually very danceable off the ice, and have a driving rhythm thru-out the music, emphasizing the downbeat.

Laney
05-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Ilia Kulik isnīt my all-time-favourite skater anymore even I swear he will always be when I was a teenager.... :eek:
Stephane Lambiel is my GOD :swoon:
I have both playboy magazines with Tanja Szewczenko... And no, Iīm not lesbian. I was just a fan... :D
I sometimes hope that certain skaters make mistakes. (And Iīm happy when they do so...:slinkaway )
Takahikos smile is just :swoon:
I sometimes screem like crazy when watching skating.
I have a soft spot for most Japanese men... ;)
I love this thread!

sk8girl
05-17-2012, 11:22 PM
I never "got" Kwan or Kim. At all. They were both very talented, etc., but I found their skating to be a complete snooze. I didn't find any of their programs memorable. (And yes I have seen both of them live, in their prime. Several times, in both cases.)

I love Libertango and Hernando's Hideaway and don't care that they're hugely overused.

I like the short dance in general, and in particular I am looking forward to next year's over-the-top polkas. There, I said it.

I find free dances to be extremely boring in general and would much rather see a competition of compulsory dance + short dance. At Moscow Worlds in 2005, I was there live and chose to wander around the concession stands during a lot of the free dance because I was bored. (And the concession stands there were not great, so that's really saying something :lol:)

I think Carolina Kostner is hugely overrated and extremely boring to watch. (And yes, I have seen her live as well. Several times, including this past season.)

I like the current judging system and think it has generally improved skating. I don't find CoP programs to be "cookie cutter" AT ALL and it drives me crazy when people say that they are.

I think Patrick Chan is fantastic and deserves his marks and wins. (That seems to be a controversial opinion around here lately...)

I don't get why people think Smirnov is hot. (Maybe I just can't get past the horrible haircut.)

museksk8r
05-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Oooohhhhh, a thread to be as bitchy as I want to be! MUAH HAH HAH HAH HAH! :EVILLE:

I haven't seen a watchable performance or program from Yu-Na Kim since her Olympic winning LP, and this comes from a fan of her. Her exhibitions and competitive programs since the 2010 season have left A LOT to be desired, IMO. She just seems disinterested to me when she's skating now.

The only lady who stood on the Olympic podium in 2010 who has shown improvement is Joannie Rochette and she is the only one of them I even care to watch anymore. Both Yu-Na and Mao are shells of their former selves.

I don't care to see Evan Lysacek or Evgeni Plushenko ever skate again and the world would be a much better place if both of them stayed in retirement forever. They have both seen their "best days," just like Sasha Cohen should never have came back in 2010. :2faced:

I actually want Johnny Weir to return to competitive skating, and this comes from someone who hasn't been a fan of his skating since 2006. He is someone who I think could push himself to improve and grow artistically and become a better skater than when he left the competitive world in 2010.

I could actually be an uber of Patrick Chan if he were scored more reasonably in comparison to his competitors, if he knew a choreographer other than Lori Nichol, and if his competitive musical catalog showed even one shred of originality aside from skating warhorses we have all heard ad nauseam. He has some wonderful qualities to his skating; particularly, his speed and edge work!

Maria Butyrskaya should totally have won the bronze medal at the 1998 Olympics.

Sale and Pelletier should NEVER have been awarded that 2nd gold medal; silver is what they deserved!

When Jamie Sale obnoxiously rolled her eyes at the end of Mukhortova/Trankov's "Love Story" LP at the 2010 Olympics, I wanted to slap the #$%* out of her!

I would have had the 1994 Ladies Olympic podium as: 1. Kerrigan, 2. Chen, 3. Baiul.

I feel dirty for having :swoon: crushes on Paul Poirier, Yuzuru Hanyu, and Joshua Farris considering they are so much younger than I am; that moment when you realize you are a creepy cradle robber. :o

The skater I would most want to have a Vegas Sin City marriage with is the dreamy Stephane Lambiel! :swoon:

Scott Moir just may be the biggest douche bag in figure skating; Evan Lysacek is very close though. :EVILLE:

sap5
05-18-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't get why people think Smirnov is hot. (Maybe I just can't get past the horrible haircut.)

I think most people who think Smirnov is hot aren't looking at his hair...or anywhere near his face, for that matter.

sk8girl
05-18-2012, 04:29 AM
I think most people who think Smirnov is hot aren't looking at his hair...or anywhere near his face, for that matter.

Oh, no doubt :lol: I guess I just have trouble appreciating other assets when I'm distracted by what I consider to be a huge problem with their basic look. (Maybe that's another sin? :lol:)

Ozzisk8tr
05-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Is this the skating equivalent of Demi and Ashton?

No thats already been taken by Morozov and Ikkylicky girl (whatever her name is). ;)

l'etoile
05-18-2012, 05:45 AM
I love and respect Brian Orser's skating and I am a Yuna uber. That fiasco between them was so tragic that I sometimes blame myself for being so into the world of figure skating. (well this is more of self-excuse than it is a guilty confession.)

I hate hate hate the hatred between fans that it makes me depressed from time to time when reading some hateful/despiteful posts about skaters. I wish I could be the brainwasher who wipes the brains of thos who are HATERS.

ballettmaus
05-18-2012, 09:36 AM
By saying "everybody hates them," you're saying that I (being part of everybody) hate them, and that is not true.

Clearly you're not everybody :) Neither am I; I happen to prefer over-the-boot-tights, too, as I feel they don't disrupt the line of the leg, unless they also cover the heel, then I'm too distracted by watching that big chunk of boot :P

lowtherlore
05-18-2012, 10:22 AM
My list:

- I get traumatized by horrible falls in pairs skating, it makes me cringe when they go into a lift.

- Laura is prettier than Kiira. All Finnish ladies are pretty.

- Chan is not overrated or overscored.

- Asadaís Bells of Moscow was actually a good program, though never skated to its full potential.

- Lambiel is sexy, and that comes from a man.

- Iíd love to see Plushy come back for Sochi and prove everybody heís superhuman.

- I love most of Yu-Na programs but her Fever, especially its latter half was blah.

- I enjoyed Rachelís Olympic LP more than Miraiís.

- Donít have the slightest idea what the name Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari means, but it sounds kind of majestic.

- Ilinykh is so pretty I wonít blame Morozov.

- I believe there's some poster group in the forum with multi nicks and fake identities/nationalities galore. :lynch:

PashaFan
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
There are some skaters that I enjoy watching but feel no emotion when watching them. They leave me feeling very cold.
Ashley Wagner.
Patrick Chan.
Bob/Sol.
Davis/White.
Shibutani's.
Plushenko.
Yuna Kim.
Yet there are others who I feel a real connection to & love even when they make huge errors.
Elene Gedvanishvili.
Elena Glebova.
Jessica Dube.
Also, Surya Bonaly should have won World's in 93'.