PDA

View Full Version : Confess your sins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

winterone
05-17-2012, 01:08 PM
I dislike mean spirited people who constantly make derrogatory comments about skaters competing against their favorites.

I am amused and dislike crazy Skitso Tiger Skating Moms and their ruthless pursuit of dominance through their Little Girls. Asian moms excluded..they just can't help it..lol

sadya
05-17-2012, 01:56 PM
These aren't really sins nor difficult to admit, but seem to be unpopular opinions:

- I like Bail's Olympic lpl and her costume, same goes for Kerrigan's sp and ex that year

- I like Kostner's 2012 WLP costume, I often seem to enjoy costumes and hairdo's which most people didn't like

- I enjoyed Bonali's skating, though I agreed with the '94 Worlds Sato win

- Chen should have received better sp scores at '98 Olympics and I was upset when she didn't win '96 Worlds, but I do understand Kwan winning, they were both gold medal worthy

- I was upset when Lipinski won '98 Olympics over Kwan, but after rewatching several times I understood the decision, they were both amazing enough for the gold

- I didn't like most programs of Zagorodniuk, not even the one everyone seemed to love when he won Euros with it

- most Eldredge programs were boring for me

- I don't 2008 sp of Buttle (love his 2008 fp though)

- the sudden way Buttle moves his head this way or that way annoys me, it disturbes his lovely skating for me, one moment I'm enjoying his program, I'm in this different realm and don't even realise anymore that I'm watching skating, that's how much I'm into the program, then one sudden head movement to where ever ruins it

- I didn't like most Yamaguchi competition programs, but love her pro programs

- I miss the straight footwork from one side of the rink to the other (I don't like how they go back and forth many times before they reach the other end, the choreo steps)

- I enjoy watching the poto fs of Chan, especially his performance at 2011 Canadian nationals

- I don't like most exhibition programs of Lambiel, but love all his competition programs

- I enjoyed the skating of Tugba Karademir (is she still involved with skating or has she completely moved on to something else?)

- I like the idea of a hip hop sd

Proustable
05-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Borderline xenophobia. Exactly what this thread needs. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

misskarne
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Back in my day men skated with grace, elegance, fluidity, showmanship and flexibility, without turning into some weird sexually ambiguous extraterrestrial.

One more to add to my list:

- I hate it when skaters cannot be themselves and express themselves freely on the ice without attracting derogatory comments.

Pierre
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
For me, it comes down to maturity, not whether the skating is stereotypically masculine, feminine, or something in the middle. Some male skaters present themselves in a fashion that isn't traditional for men. That is fine. Others act like a young teenager that just discovered the concept of pride . That I don't like. I realize that some at the top still are teenagers, many are coming to terms with themselves in one sense or another, and that emotional development of such people is likely to be slower than others due to factors outside their control , but understanding the reasons doesn't change the fact that it comes across as a bit immature. At some point, the ice princess is expected to transform into a lady.

gkelly
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Also, everyone hates tights over the boots* so clearly it does not belong in a confess your sins/unpopular opinions thread.

* except, unfortunately, some skaters.

This is a speak-for-yourself thread. You don't get to tell me what I hate.

My sin, in the eyes of Zemgirl, is that I much PREFER over-the-boot tights to tucked in.

I also prefer dark opaque leggings to illusion fabric tights. ;)

I want to see sportier outfits in competition, such as shorts over leggings. Who said sequins are sporty?

Intellectually, I can appreciate simple stroking and steady, held-out exquisite edges. Especially live if performed with power.

But emotionally I tend to be more interested in more complex choreography.

My ideal is complexity performed with high quality, but given the choice as a spectator I'd rather see more done acceptably than less done exquisitely.

Which means that my favorite skaters artistically are not always the ones who win.

Pairs in the 6.0 era usually put me to sleep, so I'm still less interested in that discipline even though the technical content is more interesting to me now.

My favorite ice dance era was 1990-92, for the artistic aspects. IJS makes the judging more fair, but I'm still waiting for a way to combine more objective scoring with encouraging creativity.

dewey
05-17-2012, 05:09 PM
In no particular order:

I am on team Nancy.

I respect hard work and discipline more than raw talent.

That said, I wanted Nicole to come back and kick some Tara and Michelle butt.

I was glad when Kyoko and Jason started beating Jenny and Todd because I was sick of hearing how being in love made Jenny and Todd better skaters.

I think B&S were the last great Russian pair.

I do not find Kavaguti believable as a Russian romantic.

I really hate that COP has made is possible for skaters to eliminate their weaker jumps from their repertoire and still win competitions.

I suspect that Katia Gordeeva is all sweetness and light only as long as she is getting her due deference as the queen bee.

I wanted to be Katia Gordeeva from about 1988-1995.

I think Katarine Witt is not so much a great skater as a savvy marketer of her sex appeal.

I think Tanith is pretty but conventional and Meryl is a rare beauty.

I miss the 90s in skating.

ratatouille
05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I looooove Kenji Miyamoto's choreo. The bests are Takahashi's EYE and Suzuki's Libertango.
Akiko's EX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1gDGozML94

I want Plushy and Kim to come back in competitions.

Bournekraatzfan
05-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Exactly. Thank you for calling it out, allezfred.:respec:

Zemgirl
05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
This is a speak-for-yourself thread. You don't get to tell me what I hate.

My sin, in the eyes of Zemgirl, is that I much PREFER over-the-boot tights to tucked in.
"Confess your sins" implies that one should share unpopular/unconventional opinions, doesn't it? And tights over boots seem pretty unpopular on this thread and elsewhere, so confessing to disliking them is kind of the opposite of the point, isn't it?

Liking tights over boots seems right up there with admitting to liking Morozov CoP choreo, so I congratulate you on your originality ;)

Calling it borderline was generous.

gkelly
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
"Confess your sins" implies that one should share unpopular/unconventional opinions, doesn't it? And tights over boots seem pretty unpopular on this thread and elsewhere, so confessing to disliking them is kind of the opposite of the point, isn't it?

Yes, but you could have made that point to the poster you were addressing by saying "most people dislike them."

By saying "everybody hates them," you're saying that I (being part of everybody) hate them, and that is not true.

I realize you were probably being hyperbolic for effect, but the effect it had on me was feeling that you were putting false words in my mouth.

Bournekraatzfan
05-17-2012, 06:41 PM
One more to add to my list:

- I hate it when skaters cannot be themselves and express themselves freely on the ice without attracting derogatory comments.

+1 to this and to what clarie said

Calling it borderline was generous.

true. and the post that immediately followed it wasn't much better.

ItalianFan
05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
These aren't really sins nor difficult to admit, but seem to be unpopular opinions:

- I like the idea of a hip hop sd

I HATE hip hop. How could such a jerky (in terms of movement), seemingly uncoordinated collection of awkward moves ever be translated into something pleasurable to watch on ice??? I don't like polkas either so maybe next season I I'll watch hockey instead.

JasperBoy
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I have a rather strong attraction to a Canadian male skater 45 years younger than me. (Despite my username I am female BTW)

essence_of_soy
05-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a rather strong attraction to a Canadian male skater 45 years younger than me. (Despite my username I am female BTW)

Is this the skating equivalent of Demi and Ashton?