PDA

View Full Version : Confess your sins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

nubka
05-17-2012, 12:51 AM
My confessions....

- Skaters' butts are the last thing I care about or check out when watching skating.

I agree!

I hate tights over the boots.

While he is still rough around the edges, I actually like Kevin Reynold's skating.

I miss the old Evan/Johnny rivalry.

I like Worlds better then Nationals.

I'll miss Rachael Flatt if she doesn't compete next season.

I know she's all grown up now, but I still miss Ashley Wagner's ponytail and the spunk she used to have on the ice.

It doesn't bother me at all that Evora & Ladwig are no longer skating.

I like Denny & Coughlin.

BmcC102
05-17-2012, 03:25 AM
1. I hate tan/beige boots on ladies. I end up disliking the skater and their programs whenever a skater chooses them.

2. I'll tolerate tights over the boots ONLY because there is always a chance that they'll end up tucking them into a beautiful, white boot. :)

3. The tights over only part of the boot look (Elene G., Miki Ando early in her career, Michelle Kwan at 05 Worlds) is AWFUL. I can't enjoy those programs because of it.

4. Ultimate confession: I care way too much about the above topic of boots/tights and actually thanked god when Sasha Cohen wore the white skate look at 2002 Olympics...

Davis&WhiteFan
05-17-2012, 03:25 AM
My first time really watching skating was at the Vancouver Olympics. That's when I fell in love with the sport.

I love, love, LOVED Plushenko during the Vancouver SP. Then I loved Evan Lysacek during the LP.

I was a total Patrick Chan fangirl during the 2010-2011 season. Then during the 2011 WC, maybe because Patrick totally ran away with it, I became a Daisuke fan.

I was never interested in pairs until Volosozhar and Trankov came along.

escaflowne9282
05-17-2012, 04:05 AM
How have I missed this thread?! It reminds me of my Say Whatever You Want threads from a few years back :D

- I miss Surya Bonly. I don't care what anyone says about her "skillz" - she was amaze :glamor:

- I liked Tuk's SP dress, no matter how inappropriate everyone said it was :o

- On that, I also liked Sot's unitard thing. It was a lil...voidy.

- Tights over boots make me cry

- Ice dance is also making me cry at the moment. I have no feelings on V/M and D/W and P/B's FD really disappointed me - considering they're (potentially) so voidy, this year's choice was a bit... lazy. IMO.

- I wasn't as in love with Dai's FD as much as I thought I would be. I think he's sloppy and OTT. I'll always have a soft spot for him though.

- I'll never "get" Carolina Kostner, but it's always nice to see an athlete overcome their demons, and achieve at an older age - I think the wait/struggle make it all the more special.

- I thought S/S's Pina was a bit overrated, but I love how original they are regardless.

- I'm not as impressed by Gracie Gold as I feel I ought to be. I'm still excited for the ladies over the next few years though.

- I'm not really a Weaver/Poje fan, but am more than read to be converted. If that makes any sense.

- I always preferred Butyrskaya to Slutskaya

- I don't know if I enjoy Hanyu's skating AT ALL ... :slinkaway:

- I miss Rahkamo/Kokko. And Drobiazko/Vanagas.

- I think Lu Chen was a better skater than Michelle Kwan

- I really like Elena Glebova.

- I agree with those who say Johnny wasted his talent. I wonder if he ever really appreciated what he had.

- Mao had FAR more interesting programmes than Yu-Na in Vancouver - though alot fo people hated it, I always loved "Bells".

- TAT is an instituiton.

- I am ready and waiting for the Morozov-Amodio sextape :P

:respec::respec::respec:

Pierre
05-17-2012, 04:23 AM
Judging should not be "anonymous".

Judges who commit a serious offense should be banned for life. Small punishments harm the reputation of the sport.

Instructional materials/videos should never include current skaters .

People who think that politics doesn't play a major role are extremely naive. However, people who think outcomes are always nothing but politics are misguided.

It bothers me when people say something that suggests that they think that judges in the 6.0 era had no standards to go by at all.

In an ideal world, GOE and PCS would be scored by different panels.

Kwan probably should have won in 98.

Virtue and Moir have been overmarked many times .

USFSA needs to approach its skaters from a modern perspective instead of one that seems like a weird mixture of the 1950s and 1990s.

S&P's Love Story was a masterpiece. If not for everything that came after, I think most people would agree.

Baiul, Joubert, Plushenko, Henie, Kim, Rochette, Buttle, Chan , Witt , Cohen, and many more are on my overrated list. Doesn't mean that many of them weren't great, but the praise was excessive and the criticism too forgiving.

I have many more controversial opinions (and want to explain some of the ones I already stated in more detail), but that will have to wait as I am typing on a phone and tired .

AnnMJensen
05-17-2012, 04:30 AM
I have never understood why ladies' skating was considered "the main event". Every once in a while there is an interesting one, but mostly it is a snooze to me.
I like ANY compulsory dance (even polka) better than most free dances.
I have had two skaters I have actively wished would fall and crash. Both due to their overly heterosexual bombast, not their skating.
When a skater I know personally skates badly it haunts me for far too long.
I liked skating better when I didn't know "how the sausage was made". Sometimes too much information is... too much.
I wish skaters ability matched their personalities - nice ones skate well, mean ones skate bad. I would drink much less.

AnnMJensen
05-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Oh - I forgot my big ones:
I HATE that the Olympics matter so freaking much.
I do not admire skaters for going to school. I admire them for skating.
I hate when the public/federation picks a "next big thing".

misskarne
05-17-2012, 04:47 AM
- I hate over the boot tights and think they make all legs look chunky and clunky. Even long slim legs look bad in them.

- I hate the notion that men must be "masculine". If a man happens to skate with grace, elegance, fluidity, a bit of showmanship and flexibility, good on him. It should NOT be a reason to deride that skater or hold him back. If a man wants to do a spiral sequence or layback spin and he can, good on him and he should be able to do it! That does NOT mean he is less of a skater or less of a man than anyone else! :mad:

- I am nearly 24 and when Josh Farris replied to my tweet I squealed like I was 10 years old. I have no regrets.

falling_dance
05-17-2012, 05:17 AM
On reflection, I'm fine with Kim winning the short program at last year's Worlds. I think the title could have gone either way.

I like most of Lysacek's Scheherazade FS.

Remember that horrible yellow "pleather" dress Susanna Poykio wore for her Rach 2 FS? I really like it.

Yukari Nakano's Firebird Weirtard is one of my all-time favorite skating costumes.

I feel a little guilty about the Misha Ge confession from page one of this thread. He's very talented.

I like Hell's Bells. I love Mao's Masquerade Waltz SP.

Beige/tan skates don't irk me.

The Uncrustables banner of bygone days makes me want to go out and loot the freezer section of the nearest supermarket (and not due to any craving, either).

I prefer Galina Grzhibovskaya's free skating to Elena Shcheglova's. Take that, Shcheglova fans.

I'll never tire of hearing Scheherazade or Tosca in competition.

PinkFeathers
05-17-2012, 06:51 AM
- I hate the notion that men must be "masculine". If a man happens to skate with grace, elegance, fluidity, a bit of showmanship and flexibility, good on him. It should NOT be a reason to deride that skater or hold him back. If a man wants to do a spiral sequence or layback spin and he can, good on him and he should be able to do it! That does NOT mean he is less of a skater or less of a man than anyone else! :mad:

Yeah, this so much. Give me beauty, grace, power, elegance over the macho manly snoozefest that was mens skating in the US around the late 90's/early 00's :scream: You'd think we'd be past this crap already, but apparently not :rolleyes:

Zemgirl
05-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I know conventional wisdom is that pairs has suffered the most under CoP, but I actually think pairs hasn't been too bad (the abomination that was catchfoot death spirals notwithstanding) and dance has suffered the most. It's practically become pairs skating with twizzles.

Also, everyone hates tights over the boots* so clearly it does not belong in a confess your sins/unpopular opinions thread.

* except, unfortunately, some skaters.

justAfsfan
05-17-2012, 08:52 AM
- I can't stand Moir facial expression, I think it is overdone.

- Trankov is narcissistic and annoying and I wonder how people find him hot.

- Almost all Kwan performance leave me cold.

- I don't like many of Yuna programs (her performance is another story).

- I like Miki Ando cleoprata and enjoy laughing at Kesnia's Monroe program.

- I don't like Daisuke's program at all when he was with Morozov.

- I don't see how skater people in international board praise (ex. Kostner FD)
have that much more transition than skater they complain about lacking transition.

- I don't understand people who want all girl to be ballerina, I prefer diversity.

Johnny_Fever
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
- I hate the notion that men must be "masculine". If a man happens to skate with grace, elegance, fluidity, a bit of showmanship and flexibility, good on him. It should NOT be a reason to deride that skater or hold him back. If a man wants to do a spiral sequence or layback spin and he can, good on him and he should be able to do it! That does NOT mean he is less of a skater or less of a man than anyone else! :mad:Back in my day men skated with grace, elegance, fluidity, showmanship and flexibility, without turning into some weird sexually ambiguous extraterrestrial.

clarie
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I dislike mean spirited people who constantly make derrogatory comments about skaters competing against their favorites.

allezfred
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
- the fact Asian skaters are taking over FS frightens me

Borderline xenophobia. Exactly what this thread needs. :rolleyes: