PDA

View Full Version : Confess your sins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

lauravvv
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
It's so difficult to form such strict opinions, especially negative ones, when someone is like me - always trying to be objective about everyone.

But one thing I know for sure: I dislike it when other people are so categorical and so quick to form strict opinions, like that someone is boring and/or not artistic enough (and other opinions), when they haven't even seen most of that skater's programs, have seen only their competitive programs, or when the last program that they saw was a couple (or even more) years ago. Oh, I also dislike when people are not even willing to try to see something good in their favourite's rivals, or even simply in those who are not their favourites.

That said - I like both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, Daisuke Takahashi and Patrick Chan, Evgeny Plushenko and Alexei Yagudin, and so on.

And Virtue and Moir are not boring - they make even generic into something interesting and unique by doing it so well. And neither are Davis and White boring, or lucking in expression, and they're certainly not like automats (that's what Zhulin said, and I can't agree with him at all, no matter how much I still like his skating with Usova).

And Chan is not boring either, even though I like Takahashi more.

Both Yagudin and Plushenko are neither as great as some of their greatest fans make them out to be, nor as bad as their haters (or, rather, dislikers) would want them to be.

Finally, almost all of the great skaters are a bit overrated - well, probably expect Torvill/Dean, Gordeeva/Grinkov and a few others.

Maybe I'll write more later. Or not.

julianaqtpi
05-16-2012, 02:03 AM
I hate Plushenko and my dad only knows him by his nickname "Big Nose", which my sister and I named him after watching the 2002 Olympics. (Hey, I was only 5... And he does have a big nose...).

I dislike Johnny Weir and his personality but recognize and applaud his talent and artistic ability. I also think it's great that he doesn't care what other people think about him.

I love love LOVE Evan Lysacek. Omg asdkfjads. I'm hoping he'll compete at Nationals 2013 just so I can meet him.

I let my friends think that because I skate that means I have a good chance at going to the Olympics, when really I have about as much chance as a bumblebee has of digging a hole to China.

I think Charlie White is so cute.

I can't stand Tessa and Scott. They're great skaters and all, but I don't like their skating. I especially hate Scott for his bad sportsmanship and whining when they don't get first.

Cyn
05-16-2012, 06:59 AM
My confessions....

- Skaters' butts are the last thing I care about or check out when watching skating, and all of the admiration and :grope: comments about them become really annoying after a while.

- If a skater's body is noticeably out of proportion (length of the torso, arms and legs, and neck (or lack thereof), it affects my ability to enjoy their skating :slinkaway (I realize it's something they have no control over, but it has an impact on their skating/lines/etc.)

- Part of me wishes that once a skater or team has one both a WC and a OGM, they should not be allowed to compete in the next Olympic Games. The other part wants to see a skater/team dominate over an 8 year-period if they are able.

- I don't find voidy/WTF programs to be deserving of a higher mark than those that are more mainstream/classic (provided it's skated well).

- I never understood the worship of Grishuk/Platov or Anissina/Peizerat as their skating and programs were IMO vastly overrated.

- I've never found Smirnov to be remotely attractive in any way, and he and Kavaguti are one of the oddest looking couples in Pairs skating I've ever seen.

brightphoton
05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't always wash my hands after using the restroom.

Shame on you! :mad:

Loves_Shizuka
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
How have I missed this thread?! It reminds me of my Say Whatever You Want threads from a few years back :D

- I miss Surya Bonly. I don't care what anyone says about her "skillz" - she was amaze :glamor:

- I liked Tuk's SP dress, no matter how inappropriate everyone said it was :o

- On that, I also liked Sot's unitard thing. It was a lil...voidy.

- Tights over boots make me cry

- Ice dance is also making me cry at the moment. I have no feelings on V/M and D/W and P/B's FD really disappointed me - considering they're (potentially) so voidy, this year's choice was a bit... lazy. IMO.

- I wasn't as in love with Dai's FD as much as I thought I would be. I think he's sloppy and OTT. I'll always have a soft spot for him though.

- I'll never "get" Carolina Kostner, but it's always nice to see an athlete overcome their demons, and achieve at an older age - I think the wait/struggle make it all the more special.

- I thought S/S's Pina was a bit overrated, but I love how original they are regardless.

- I'm not as impressed by Gracie Gold as I feel I ought to be. I'm still excited for the ladies over the next few years though.

- I'm not really a Weaver/Poje fan, but am more than read to be converted. If that makes any sense.

- I always preferred Butyrskaya to Slutskaya

- I don't know if I enjoy Hanyu's skating AT ALL ... :slinkaway:

- I miss Rahkamo/Kokko. And Drobiazko/Vanagas.

- I think Lu Chen was a better skater than Michelle Kwan

- I really like Elena Glebova.

- I agree with those who say Johnny wasted his talent. I wonder if he ever really appreciated what he had.

- Mao had FAR more interesting programmes than Yu-Na in Vancouver - though alot fo people hated it, I always loved "Bells".

- TAT is an instituiton.

- I am ready and waiting for the Morozov-Amodio sextape :P

RunnersHigh
05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't always wash my hands after using the restroom.

Neither do I when the queue is too long. :lynch:

mia joy
05-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Cool thread! Here are some of mine:

- Tessa and Scott (Scott especially) annoy the hell out of me and I sincerely dislike their skating

- I do think men's figure skating is becoming terribly unmanly and hate it

- Daisuke is one of the ugliest guys out there (but still love his skating!)

- I don't like Kiira's skating, but one of the main reasons I find her annoying is that everyone thinks she's so beautiful

- I generally never like Canadian skaters (with very few exceptions)

- I thought K/N's 2007/2008 FD was probably the most disgusting thing ever made in FS

- the fact Asian skaters are taking over FS frightens me

- I usually don't like the Olympic results. Starting to hate the event.

- I think Zhulin destroyed P/B

Johnny_Fever
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM
- Tessa and Scott (Scott especially) annoy the hell out of me and I sincerely dislike their skating

How so? Too saccharin sweet?

- I do think men's figure skating is becoming terribly unmanly and hate it

.........and I thought it was just the time I'd spent away from the sport.

- the fact Asian skaters are taking over FS frightens me

Let's face it. We'll all be working for China in 10 years.

Nan
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I want a skater to choreograph a fall. (that is have a program, preferably an exhibition) where a fall is absolutely the right choreographic choice at a certain point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3970yAUBwKU

It happens at about 3:26. Not planned, but close to what you were wanting. ;)

Johnny_Fever
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I want a skater to choreograph a fall.Two words: Allen Schramm.

aliceanne
05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mafke
I want a skater to choreograph a fall. (that is have a program, preferably an exhibition) where a fall is absolutely the right choreographic choice at a certain point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3970yAUBwKU

It happens at about 3:26. Not planned, but close to what you were wanting. ;)

Toller Cranston said the first time he did a full body slide at the end of his program Jutta Mueller screamed. She thought he was hurt. I guess you could consider that an intentional fall.

Ziggy
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
At one point, Bourne/Kraatz were my favourite ID team.

I will never forget the look of disbelief and disgust on the face of my friend when I told her.

(I don't blame her. :P)

nuge
05-16-2012, 05:32 PM
My confessions....

-).

- I never understood the worship of Grishuk/Platov or Anissina/Peizerat as their skating and programs were IMO vastly overrated.

:eek:Wash your mouth out :lol:They :kickass:

minignome
05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Pre COP Ice Dancing was ruined for me when my husband whispered ala The Sixth Sense "I see dead skaters". I have slowly recovered and now find dance one of my favorite comps.

Two of the most exciting athletic events I have had the privilege to witness live were Evan Lysacek's 2007 National win and the 2009 Worlds win. I will forever be a fan for those moments.

I think a special test should be required for Biellman spins. If you don't have a license you should not be allowed to subject the audience to your attempts.

I wish there was a 3 point automatic deduction for skating to screechy violin music.

blue_idealist
05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
At one point, Bourne/Kraatz were my favourite ID team.

I will never forget the look of disbelief and disgust on the face of my friend when I told her.

(I don't blame her. :P)

They still are my favourite! What's wrong with that? :P