PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 03:42 AM
I suspect there was a bit of airbrushing involved. I saw the mom in the interview and she didn't look the same.

jeffisjeff
05-12-2012, 03:51 AM
I don't disagree she's lovely -what I was questioning was the idea that anyone said that it is unrealistic that a 26 year old mom could be fit.

Yeah, I agree - I meant my post to convey agreement with you. For me, saying someone looks like a model isn't the same as saying someone is young and fit.

I suspect there was a bit of airbrushing involved. I saw the mom in the interview and she didn't look the same.

So they air brushed the stretch marks? :P

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 03:57 AM
So they air brushed the stretch marks? :P

Only if they were on her face. Her face did look different to me.

maatTheViking
05-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Why, at that age...wouldn't you just pump?.

Because pumping is hard, unpleasant, and yields a lot less milk than feeding directly. I love breastfeeding, hate pumping with the fire of a thousand suns. I was so elated when baby viking went to cows milk during the day!

AxelAnnie
05-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Well, again, pumping would be beside the point.

And again, if extended breastfeeding isn't considered freakish in his environment, I doubt if it will be an issue for him, regardless of how old he gets.

I thought silent games were designed to prevent parents from screaming at their kids.

the goal is to make parents aware that the kids can play without their coaching, yelling, and other disruptive influences during play. (http://www.arlnow.com/2012/05/04/silent-soccer-in-arlington-this-weekend/)

Also, for your reading pleasure, a statement from a youth soccer league director that says, in part,: "there are enormous benefits to giving children the opportunity to enjoy exploring the game's possibilities without the distraction of being micro-managed from the sidelines.

The American youth soccer system has recently recognized that over-coaching our young players stifles their creativity and development, which the international soccer community has been telling us for years."

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/lessons-learned-silent-soccer-game-180400532.html

Cheering the good players has never, to my knowledge, been considered a problem, nor does it have anything to do with boosting the self-esteem of the poor players.

Well all I really know about silent games is what my son told me when I arrived on the field. He coaches his son's team, and told me the coaches were not allowed to talk. the parents I could understand. When you are a kid with no cheering parents....the nanny maybe sitting on the sideline, it does make a difference.

The cover of Time is just horrid IMO. I breast fed my kids at a time when you had to argue with Drs and nurses to get your kid for you out of the nursery. My oldest is 36. I was active is Le Leche League , led meetings, went to conventions and NEVER saw a woma standing around like a self serve bar with a kid standing up for a drink. how demeaning for women and all the breastfeeding moms. BTW I nursed my two girls until they were 3+ At that age it is for nurturing and comfort...not because some kid needs a swig.:yikes:

Prancer
05-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Well all I really know about silent games is what my son told me when I arrived on the field. He coaches his son's team, and told me the coaches were not allowed to talk. the parents I could understand. When you are a kid with no cheering parents....the nanny maybe sitting on the sideline, it does make a difference.

Ask your son if he was telling you his personal opinion of the policy or he has an official league statement that says that the reason for this rule is to preserve the feelings of kids with nannies and prevent people from cheering for the good players because it might make the poor players feel bad about themselves.

If he has such a statement, please send me a copy. I have had several students do research projects on the subject of parents and their involvement in kids' sports, and that would be a useful alternative view for them to use in their papers.

Parents screaming at their kids during soccer games and other sports has been an ongoing concern for several years. It's well documented. If you have an actual interest in how all of this has developed, I can send you some links to share with your son.

WindSpirit
05-12-2012, 04:25 AM
The concern, for me, is the staging of the photo. It does not connote a nurturing mother/child bonding moment. It comes across as defiant, in your face, and almost creepy. Because of the staging/posing. That is why I have concerns for the child. And why not just hide his face? Why use the child? :huh: What was she supposed to use, a dog?

I think she doesn't feel the need to protect her child's identity (that wouldn't be protected if hers wasn't anyway) because she doesn't see anything wrong with breastfeeding him. I kind of dig that logic. Should she raise her child to believe it's shameful just because other people believe so?

I don't have a problem with breast feeding in public even if all of the boob is exposed. But I don't buy the argument that because something is natural, it belongs on public display. Can you think of certain all-natural bodily processes that don't fit this bill in our culture? That's the straw man and slippery slope all in one.

I, however, have a problem with a superior attitude that certain moms (and dads) of the "everything natural persuasion" sometimes exhibit. I cannot tell you how many times I was given a lecture about giving a birth in a hospital, having an epidural (horrors, neurotoxin!!!) and giving my son cow's milk (cow pus was the expression used) when he was a toddler.

SFGate had an article about a new mom with her baby who were booed for using disposable diapers on the street of San Francisco. True story, linked here at the time. If the woman in question has a superior attitude and thinks she knows what's best for everyone else, then she deserves the criticism for it. There's no one perfect way to be a mother. Plus being a mother she should know that if there's one thing that mothers hate the most it's when other people tell them how to raise their children. I haven't read the article or listened to an interview with her, is that what it's all about? Showing other women a superior way of being a mother? Or merely presenting another, less common option and looking for acceptance?

I think the cover picture acts a little like a mirror that other people see themselves in. As in their reactions say more about themselves than her. If one thinks breastfeeding is something to be kept behind closed doors, they will have a strong negative reaction to that even without the child's age factor. I don't see anything wrong with breastfeeding, public or otherwise, so I missed out on that one. As for the child's age, I do find it weird, but before I get outraged I ask myself questions like: Does it harm the child? If not, what business is it of mine? If none, why should I care about it, let alone condemn it? Etc. I know I live in a society where it's uncommon therefore weird, so I feel that I "should" be outraged, but intellectually I just can't find a reason to be.

I don't think the photo was supposed to be offensive. I think it was meant to make people think.

Prancer
05-12-2012, 04:33 AM
That's the straw man and slippery slope all in one.

Don't forget false analogy. :D

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Don't forget false analogy. :D

I didn't make any specific analogies. :)

That's the straw man and slippery slope all in one.

Really? How? I said that just because something is natural, it doesn't mean it necessarily belongs on public display in response to your saying that nursing is not a disease, is natural and therefore, should not be hidden. You are also implying that disease should be hidden. Why?

As to the rest of your post: I am was not talking about the mother on the TIME cover when I was discussing the holier than thou attitude.

AxelAnnie
05-12-2012, 05:17 AM
So I got two kinds of responses from my friends about this: one is LOVE LOVE Dr. SEARS and one HATE HATE Dr. SEARS, kinda like HC here.

Who is Dr. Sears?

Oh my.....make youself totally insane and read his book about vaccinating your kids. I am not arguing about his conclusions....but it is a lot to deal with.

AxelAnnie
05-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Ask your son if he was telling you his personal opinion of the policy or he has an official league statement that says that the reason for this rule is to preserve the feelings of kids with nannies and prevent people from cheering for the good players because it might make the poor players feel bad about themselves.

If he has such a statement, please send me a copy. I have had several students do research projects on the subject of parents and their involvement in kids' sports, and that would be a useful alternative view for them to use in their papers.

Parents screaming at their kids during soccer games and other sports has been an ongoing concern for several years. It's well documented. If you have an actual interest in how all of this has developed, I can send you some links to share with your son.

I will ask. i agree that the parents can be totally out of control. Hopefully he will have some interesting information.

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Oh my.....make youself totally insane and read his book about vaccinating your kids. I am not arguing about his conclusions....but it is a lot to deal with.

Oh yes, vaccination and its evils, another perennial favorite to discuss in the Bay Area.

Southpaw
05-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Oh yes, vaccination and its evils, another perennial favorite to discuss in the Bay Area.

:lol: Why do you continue to live there? You're much too east coast for that joint.

IceAlisa
05-12-2012, 05:29 AM
:lol: Why do you continue to live there? You're much too east coast for that joint.

I know, I know. :mad:

Family mostly. But trust me, I am working on retiring on the East Coast.

Prancer
05-12-2012, 07:18 AM
I didn't make any specific analogies. :)

Then even more so.

But okay.

Can you think of certain all-natural bodily processes that don't fit this bill in our culture?

Which specific certain all-natural bodily processes were you thinking of?