PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

milanessa
05-12-2012, 01:09 AM
I think hurting, in this instance is the embarrassment the child will have to deal with, when all of his friends tease him about the magazine cover.

Maybe he'll learn the lesson that standing up, front and center, for something you believe in is worth some teasing or embarrassment. Granted he didn't have a choice in this situation but, if his mother's beliefs hold, then he'll be secure and confident enough to weather it. Or maybe not.

danceronice
05-12-2012, 01:10 AM
I wonder what extended breastfeeding (past the point they should be solely on solid food) does to jaw and tooth shape/development. Growing bone is very malleable.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Maybe he'll learn the lesson that standing up, front and center, for something you believe in is worth some teasing or embarrassment. Granted he didn't have a choice in this situation but, if his mother's beliefs hold, then he'll be secure and confident enough to weather it. Or maybe not.

The very important point here is that he didn't have a choice. he would not be standing up (literally) for anything he currently believes in.

I wonder what extended breastfeeding (past the point they should be solely on solid food) does to jaw and tooth shape/development. Growing bone is very malleable.

I want to know what it does to Mom's nipples! :scream:

Southpaw
Is this Attachment Parenting the new Amway?

Prancer

Extended breastfeeding is very common throughout the world and always has been. AP parents make this argument all the time and it's not incorrect, even if it is invalid.

So if breastfeeding caused dental issues, I should think there would be widespread problems.

The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least age two, so what is considered "extended" or "the point where they should be solely on solid food" varies, just like everything else.

Or by the time he gets to the age where kids would make fun of him for this, the whole thing will have been completely forgotten, the cover will be too old to be on the internet, and no one will care.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Or by the time he gets to the age where kids would make fun of him for this, the whole thing will have been completely forgotten, the cover will be too old to be on the internet, and no one will care.

If he's almost 4, he may very well be in pre-school. Or, at least, have play groups. I would not doubt he'll get teased imminently.

Prancer
05-12-2012, 01:30 AM
If he's almost 4, he may very well be in pre-school. Or, at least, have play groups. I would not doubt he'll get teased imminently.

Could be. Or not. I would be really surprised if he's in a preschool or play groups with children of parents who don't themselves follow AP or are unaware that the mom still breastfeeds. If it's a norm, kids aren't going to make fun of it--if they are even aware of the cover or understand what it means to be on a magazine.

Anita18
05-12-2012, 01:32 AM
My coworker's son is 6 and wouldn't think to Google such a thing. If the kid gets teased because someone found out, there's either a malicious parent afoot or his mom was stupid enough to publicize it.

Southpaw
05-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Here's the Covergirl's blog. My favorite entry is on Page 6 which is entitled "The Miseducation of My Children." :rofl:

If they have a family bed aren't they, ummm, quite likely showing their kids a little more action than any Harlequin romance can provide?

I Am Not The Babysitter (http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/page/6/)

UGG
05-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Some thoughts...

The photo is just...so ridiculous. Were they like "ok little Johnny...suck on mommy's boob (who happens to be a MILF) and look at the camera".

I feel bad for that little boy. Why, at that age...wouldn't you just pump? If I remembered sucking my mom's boob I would probably be traumatized and I am a woman. I cannot imagine how a man would feel.

Readers will probably reading the article with a defensive opinion based on the picture alone.

I did not breastfeed, did not try to, did not want to, so i should probably DIE. LOL just kidding. I do co-sleep though...but its not by choice. When my son wakes up and does not go back to bed, i throw him in bed with me and just call it "finding any way to sleep" :P

I am also a fan of baby wearing but unfortunately, do not live in an area where there is anywhere to walk to.

I don't like the "are you mom enough" article title. Mom enough to compared to who? Extended breast feeders? Attachment parents? Hell yes I am mom enough. I delivered a child from my body and would give my life for him. Now sit down judgmental biotches.

Prancer
05-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Why, at that age...wouldn't you just pump?

Because nutrition is not the point.

UGG
05-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Because nutrition is not the point.

Isn't the point of breast feeding nutritional value?

Prancer
05-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Isn't the point of breast feeding nutritional value?

Part of it, certainly, but bonding and comfort are also part of it, even at the beginning, and basically all of it by this point.

For those of you worried about teasing:

We live in Los Angeles and practice homeschooling/travelschooling

So there you are.

UGG
05-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Part of it, certainly, but bonding and comfort are also part of it, even at the beginning, and basically all of it by this point.

For those of you worried about teasing:

We live in Los Angeles and practice homeschooling/travelschooling

So there you are.

He will be an adult one day. I wonder how he would feel about then? No matter what you do, you cannot stop grown men from seeing boobs as a sexual object, and there is going to be a picture of him with his mother's boob in his mouth as a young boy (not a baby) for everyone to see for the rest of his life (including himself). I do not have a problem with EBF-I don't care what anyone does. I would personally pump. but its just this picture that I find disturbing.

they should have taken the picture of the mother and son in a more nurturing environment.

AxelAnnie
05-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Scoreless athletics is everywhere.. This way no one feels bad about themselves.

i recently attended a "silent" soccer game. no screaming or cheering or clapping. This way neither team could be perceived as being more popular, and no player could be singled out as really fab. Strange world.