PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Rafter
05-11-2012, 09:38 PM
The picture is....disturbing.

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 09:42 PM
SFGate had a interesting editorial on this: http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/05/10/does-time-magazines-breastfeeding-cover-go-too-far/

skipaway
05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Mom speaks out about cover.
Defends Time (http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/jamie-lynne-grumet-defends-her-time-magazine-breastfeeding-180300346.html)

"I understand some of the breastfeeding advocates are actually upset about this," Grumet said as Aram draped himself over her lap and whined. They feel that the cover didn't show the nurturing side of attachment parenting, she explained as she stroked her son's back, but "This isn't how we breastfeed at home. It's more of a cradling, nurturing situation.
Here's a quote that hits at what others have said about the photograph:

Many Yahoo! readers had the same issue with the picture. "This picture would have been better received if the child was seated on mom's lap and they were looking at each other," Cherrie from Raleigh, North Carolina, commented. "Nothing about this picture makes me think of nurture or affection. Mom is practically glaring at the camera.

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I just realized that I did sort of an attachment parenting thing without knowing. I responded every time my son woke up during the night until he was 18 months old. He woke up to eat twice a night. Pediatricians told me that he doesn't need to be eating at night past the age of 4 months or so but I thought I was being a bad mother letting my baby go hungry.

So for quite some time I didn't have uninterrupted sleep and went to school full time. When he was weaned, my husband was able to share some of the nights so it was the two of us who were zombies. At around 18 months he still showed no signs of giving up the night feedings--we were at our wits end. So we let him cry for two nights. We went in to show him we are there but didn't pick him up. Just two nights of protest and then he was sleeping through the night. Why didn't I do this sooner?? :wall:

FGRSK8
05-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I think the cover is an udder failure....:P:P:P

Beefcake
05-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Being a childless man I was going to remain wisely quiet. But, then I read the model's quote, on CNN, that she was still breast feeding as a 6 year-old.

So, now, I will freely say it -- "that's too damned old! :cold: If a kid is eating at the school cafeteria, he/she shouldn't also be eating at his/her mom's breast.

IceAlisa
05-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, why stop at six? Why not, say at 8? What is the age when it becomes truly inappropriate?

Vash01
05-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing. Why should Time magazine and the mother/child in question make such a public display of it? I find it extremely offensive.

Time magazine is getting a lot of free publicity, as expected. May be that was their goal.

Hannahclear
05-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't think extended bf is wrong or disturbing, but her kid didn't ask to be on Time magazine. And one day he will be old enough to google it.

my little pony
05-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Being a childless man I was going to remain wisely quiet. But, then I read the model's quote, on CNN, that she was still breast feeding as a 6 year-old.

on Insider, she said it built her confidence

how, i'm not sure

luna_skater
05-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm in the camp that doesn't have a problem with the subject, or breast-feeding kids to an older age, but the staging of the models/photo rubs me completely the wrong way. What's normally a personal moment is turned into a public display, and the mother and son seem to be challenging the viewer in the way they're making eye contact. Instead of coming across as defiant, it comes across as creepy.

I know someone who breast fed her kids until they were each 4. She didn't have a specific notion to stop at that age, she simply quit when they stopped asking for it. They're both perfectly "normal" kids, so far (one about to turn 15 and one 4 years younger).

luna_skater
05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing. Why should Time magazine and the mother/child in question make such a public display of it? I find it extremely offensive.

I'm curious: do you find all public breast feeding offensive, or just the kind when the child is older? I.e., are you offended by a mother who nurses her newborn in public (covered up)?

Prancer
05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing.

:confused:

Have you missed all the public breastfeeding debates in the last decade or so? Breastfeeding is done publicly in the US all the time; there are laws protecting mothers' rights to do so.

Where exactly are these separate rooms with doors just for nursing? I sure never saw any. I would have considered them quite handy if I had.

Not that I want this to turn into yet another public breastfeeding thread (although it inevitably will).

milanessa
05-12-2012, 12:54 AM
on Insider, she said it built her confidence

how, i'm not sure

I saw a little clip from some morning show she was on today and she said she always felt secure and that helped build her confidence.

cruisin
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
How do you define "hurting"? Because, as is clear in some of the posts in this thread, some people DO think that this kind of thing "hurts" the child, at least in the sense of not being good for the child.

I think hurting, in this instance is the embarrassment the child will have to deal with, when all of his friends tease him about the magazine cover.

Or in the future - remember that peers will want to tease/humiliate the child for being attached to his mommy's breast. If she wants to breastfeed until he is 22 that's her business. To have a picture out there for the world present and in the future to see probably disregards the effect of peer pressure.

Breast feeding until the child is older (like age of 3 or 4) has occurred throughout the ages. What I find disturbing about this case is not so much the continued breastfeeding - like I said her business - but the exploitation and sensationalism of the photograph. I think the boy will be mercifully harassed by his peers as he gets older.

Totally agree.