PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

milanessa
05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Now I've heard everything.

:lol: Nah, there's always something else out there.

sk8er1964
05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
True. :lol:

heckles
05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Well, let's see....most children, including newborns, have at least one longer sleep period of at least 2 hours in a row in a 24 hour period.

You have sex next to your kid often enough, and she's going to wake up in the middle of it. Have fun explaining that one to a six-year-old.

rjblue
05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
You have sex next to your kid often enough, and she's going to wake up in the middle of it. Have fun explaining that one to a six-year-old.Bwah! If parents haven't at some point had an embarassing encounter with their child catching them at something, then they aren't having enough sex.

milanessa
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I haven't received my copy yet. Think it got lost in the mail? :scream:

Southpaw
05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
I haven't received my copy yet. Think it got lost in the mail? :scream:

Maybe it's in the men's room at the Post Office.

milanessa
05-14-2012, 11:16 PM

:scream: :scream: :scream:

allezfred
05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
If the pages stick together when it arrives, you'll know someone will have "read" it beforehand. ;)

cruisin
05-15-2012, 12:32 AM
If the pages stick together when it arrives, you'll know someone will have "read" it beforehand. ;)

I was going to post something to that effect, then decided it might be too gross. But, I'm glad someone did! :rofl:

Karina1974
05-15-2012, 01:14 AM

:rofl:

milanessa
05-15-2012, 01:46 AM

I was going to post something to that effect, then decided it might be too gross. But, I'm glad someone did! :rofl:

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

4rkidz
05-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Unschooled? Now I've heard everything.

it's quite interesting actually.. not just at the elementary but at the secondary and post graduate level as well.. many parts of it I agree with - especially anything that is student centered, focusing less on competition and more on a democratic learning approach.. reminds me a little of what is happening now in sports in the Long Term Athlete Development Model.. anyway sorry for that segway.. back to boobs.. :slinkaway

TheGirlCanSkate
05-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Of course the magazine photo was sensationalism. I don't see anything wrong with breastfeeding till the child (and mother) wants to be done with it. But I was (am?) one of those AP parents and I don't have any regrets there. I have great kids.

I'm not sure I am AP anymore...kids get older and there are boundaries. I have less time and make decisions and expect them to be obeyed. Later, when I'm not stressed or doing a million things at once, we talk them over. I apologize if needed.

It's different when they are infants...they can't be spoiled. Their needs are all they know. But as they get older, they have to know my needs, their teacher's needs, how to give and take in relationships. So it's a gradual change from AP to simple "parenting". In any case, parents tend to make the best decisions at that point in time.

If it was the cover model's best decision at that time, then *shrug*, so be it.

Southpaw
05-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Pretty funny piece from The Village Voice about attachment parenting, written by a SAHD. Fair Warning: lots of sarcasm and f-bombs ahead. :fan21:

Because babies are assholes. They're demanding, they're utterly self-centered, they have no empathy and they shriek horrible, horrible shrieks when they don't get what they want. And that's okay, because they're babies. They're adorable and they don't know any better.

But nobody likes a grown adult who acts like a &$^%# baby.

Hell, nobody likes a kid who acts like a $%&*# baby, either, but that's exactly the kind of kid attachment parenting produces, because, by definition, the model requires no adjustment. It encourages babies to do what they do -- be demanding, utterly self-centered assholes who have no empathy and shriek horrible, horrible shrieks when they don't get what they want -- because it rewards that behavior, their natural behavior, so what possible motivation could they have to adjust? Adjustment, after all, is painful. It causes them to cry. So the idea that not requiring the painful process of adjustment will produce well-adjusted children is patently absurd. And that's saying nothing of the myriad Oedipal implications of breastfeeding a kid until he's old enough to mean-mug the father.
The Problem With Attachment Parenting (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/05/babies_are_assh.php)

made_in_canada
05-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Oh, the comments after that article :lol::watch: