PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

aftershocks
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
BTW, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the mothers and mothers-to-be out there (aunts, godmothers, and grandmothers too) ... whether they breastfeed, breastfed, plan to, or not. ;)

I think the thing the best mothers do is to gaze down upon their newborn with inexpressible wonder and with love in their hearts ... and suddenly the realization hits them: "I've got to grow up! This little human being needs me and is my responsibility." Mothers and fathers learn the meaning of sacrifice, or they don't. The good and bad effects of either circumstance make up the world we live in.

Re the topic: I have a cousin who breastfed all of her kids, some up to or near the age of two. No big deal was made out of it, and each of them were eventually weaned off (most stopping on their own, well before the age of 2) again without any big deal. The main thing is that both my cousin and her husband gave each of their kids a wonderful, stable and supportive upbringing, and their kids are now grown-up and are generous, kind, well-adjusted, and productive human beings.

Of course, anytime a woman breastfeeds in public, lots of jealous people get their knickers in a twist. :P

Obviously, the TIME cover is sensationalist at best. By three years of age (hmmm, the kid in the picture looks closer to 4, and I believe it was mentioned that he is closer to 4), it might be more beneficial to be showing a child how to eat with the family at the dining table, or how to recite the alphabet and learn to read and to tie their shoelaces.

In any case, wouldn't it be great if we as a society could put our energies more toward caring about others in need, rather than over-focusing on trendy child-rearing methods and overweening parents who apparently haven't a clue about weaning?

MacMadame
05-13-2012, 06:39 PM
A steady diet of quickies might be ok for mommy, but maybe not so much for daddy.
Really?? Because my impression was more the opposite.

But in a serious answer... if you have a family bed, you have sex at other times and (sometimes) in other places. Some couples find it quite invigorating to their sex life, in fact.

smileyskate
05-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Nice post aftershocks. Well, not that it's just jealous people who get uncomfortable. Those who have nursed, their husbands and kids, (other bystanders) also don't always approve of it. I think we should try to use common sense. The fecal matter bathroom thing - well, everyone gets that on them then at any age, right? Maybe go into a private stall or stay in the powder room or sink only area if available to reduce that. They say we are HARMING our kids bigtime by over sanitizing and I believe it so I try to just use common sense, hand washing, but not go over board.

He does look older, but that does not matter with regard to kids and adults being cruel and definitely teasing him and snickering at the whole family. On the school bus, there are kids who are older brothers and sisters to this preschool kids friends and they will pass the info around. We all know people who never got away from being stereotyped and ridiculed in some way all through school or all through life even though whatever the issue is may or may not have been exaggerated-or outright lies and my heart breaks for them.

Southpaw
05-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Really?? Because my impression was more the opposite.

True Dad Confessions (http://truedadconfessions.blogspot.com/) :sekret:

smileyskate
05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
deleted

Tesla
05-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Are you seriously suggesting women breastfeed in a public restroom?! Those places are disgusting! No way in hell would I feed a child in there. Not to mention, where would you sit? On the toilet? No. Just no.

MacMadame
05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
The fecal matter bathroom thing - well, everyone gets that on them then at any age, right? Maybe go into a private stall or stay in the powder room or sink only area if available to reduce that.
So I guess you'll be going into a public restroom to eat your meals from now on. ;)

On the school bus, there are kids who are older brothers and sisters to this preschool kids friends and they will pass the info around.

The family practices "unschooling/homeschooling" so there is no school bus. They hang out with other families that live like this and believe in these practices. I really doubt there is any teasing involved. It's much more likely that they are getting "atta boys" and other accolades for pushing these issues to the forefront and standing up for what they believe in.

In general, I think it's a good policy before people comment on something online, to at least have skimmed the thread. Even better to have some understanding of what is being discussed. Otherwise you are just making noise and taking up space.

IceAlisa
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
I had to pump in the staff bathroom while in grad school. Sometimes where there was an empty exam room I'd pump there.

skategal
05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
A steady diet of quickies might be ok for mommy, but maybe not so much for daddy.

Well, let's see....most children, including newborns, have at least one longer sleep period of at least 2 hours in a row in a 24 hour period. That should be enough time if a couple wants to have sex.

Southpaw
05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, let's see....most children, including newborns, have at least one longer sleep period of at least 2 hours in a row in a 24 hour period. That should be enough time if a couple wants to have sex.

Well sure, as long as both parties to the contract agree to swap consideration like that then everybody's happy and things should work out A-OK. But if one party to the contract doesn't want to put some consideration out on the table because of being too tired or whatever reason they have then there's always the Facebook or the Ashley Madison or the whatever it is that kids use these days to conduct their extra-contractual affairs under cover of darkness. :cold:

zippy
05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
You can watch the video and see for yourself. One of Dr. Sears' arguments in the link you posted is that the WHO recommends extended breastfeeding. Does it specifically recommend it for developed countries as well as developing countries? ).

Is there a specific age by which the benefits of extended breastfeeding (if they are valid, reliable and statistically significant) stop? Do they ever stop?

... I even found a study that associated extended breastfeeding with lower bone mineral density in mothers. Can't be of much use to your kid if your bones are brittle. Also, the AAP recommends breastfeeding until 12 months and after that it gets all vague and leaves it up to mom and baby. If it were truly that beneficial to nurse beyond that age, wouldn't the AAP make a more time-specific recommendation?

I just looked up this Dr. Sears and I think he misrepresents the WHO breastfeeding recommendations on his website and it strikes me as a little shady. WHO and UNICEF have done a lot of research on the optimum duration of exclusive breastfeeding and they're pretty clear on their current recommendation of 6 months - if there's been any debate, it's whether weaning should begin between 4-6 months or right at 6 months, since both approaches have positives/negatives on the risk of protein-energy malnutrition or micronutrient deficiencies. Sears' page on weaning (http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/faqs/weaning) makes it sound like weaning shouldn't even start until the baby is a year old. If you look at global nutritional data, nutritional outcomes peak for babies exclusively breastfed for 5-6 months and fall for babies exclusively breastfed for both shorter and longer times than that (and for longer than 6 months probably start to negatively impact the mother's nutritional status as well, as you alluded to).

I suppose Sears could be talking about the WHO recommendations for supplementary breastfeeding up to 2 years and beyond, but it's frankly weird to be so vague about that in his wording since the point of introduction of solid foods is far more important than the duration of supplementary breastfeeding, particularly for a developed-country audience. I'm pretty sure the priorities for WHO and UNICEF are discouraging mixing breast milk with anything else for the first 6 months, and encouraging appropriate weaning since this is a particularly fragile time for the child's future nutritional status.

I think UNICEF and WHO throw in the vague "supplementary breastfeeding for 2 years or beyond" not so much for political correctness, or trying to appease trendy American moms or whatever, but because this is a pretty highly subjective topic that's dependent on particular living/socioeconomic situations and probably not as well researched as the other issues. What's funny, especially wrt this Time mag issue, is that the children who benefit from extended breastfeeding are most likely not the children growing up in developed nations who can get all their nutritional needs from regular food, but rather those living in food insecure conditions where they won't be able to meet their caloric/micronutrient needs without breastmilk beyond 6 months.

So you are absolutely correct--both the WHO and the AAP do not necessarily base their recommendations on great quality science.

I'm not familiar with how the AAP reaches its guidelines, but the UN agencies do employ very highly skilled experts to make their recommendations after tons and tons of research, especially for breastfeeding since they're big on that as a key to improving child survival. I truly don't think politics gets in the way.

ps. Sorry for the wordy post, I'm just rather keen on this topic :)

4rkidz
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Could be. Or not. I would be really surprised if he's in a preschool or play groups with children of parents who don't themselves follow AP or are unaware that the mom still breastfeeds. If it's a norm, kids aren't going to make fun of it--if they are even aware of the cover or understand what it means to be on a magazine.

My daughter was reading at age 4 and in school and would certainly have understood a magazine cover.. in fact I'm sure if she had been one of his school friends she would have brought it to his attention :shuffle: Maybe he will be home schooled.. or the latest fad.. 'unschooled'.. :blah:

agalisgv
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe he will be home schooled.. or the latest fad.. 'unschooled'.. :blah: I think it's been mentioned a few times now he is homeschooled/unschooled.

cruisin
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Are you seriously suggesting women breastfeed in a public restroom?! Those places are disgusting! No way in hell would I feed a child in there. Not to mention, where would you sit? On the toilet? No. Just no.

Yeah, I can't imagine feeding my child in a public bathroom.

sk8er1964
05-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Unschooled? Now I've heard everything.