PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

rjblue
05-13-2012, 01:23 PM
^^Nurse-in protests are hardly unusual - it seems like one company or another is always in the news for this. Personally, I believe that there should be clean, comfortable, quiets rooms for parents to use in public places like malls and big stores; I think it would be nicer for everyone, especially for the baby, to nurse somewhere quiet and private.
As long a people also have to go out of sight with those digusting plastic fake breasts when they are feeding their babies.

And as long a nursing mothers don't mind taking hours out of their day hiding so that people can't catch a glimpse of their breast.

And they should really add playgrounds to these areas, so that the other children with you have something to do while you feed the baby. And a second food court, because usually you feed your other children while you feed your baby.

I'd be at a nurse-in if I were still breast feeding and someone asked me to leave.

Zemgirl
05-13-2012, 01:49 PM
entire post
See, that completely misses my point, which was that it would be good to have more family-friendly places for parents with young kids in public areas - something that often seems in short supply. Some parents do want/need to take a break with their kid - and not just for feeding - when they are out and about. Certainly some of the parents I know, and not because they are all backwards prudes. Not everyone wants to nurse their baby in a mall food court, for various reasons.

I have a friend who liked to breastfeed her daughter (now older and weaned) in private; it was her time with her daughter, and she didn't like having a bunch of people around. She's not the only one with that preference. So why don't we give people options beyond 1. stay home 2. use a bathroom (beyond disgusting) and 3. breastfeed in the store/restaurant? The goal should be to make it easier for parents to do things outside the home with their kids. That's what I was trying to get at in my previous post.

maatTheViking
05-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I have breastfeeding in public and have never been asked to leave (this is Seattle though). Why I don't think there should be anything wrong with breastfeeding in public, I do love when malls have new mothers room - a chair, a sink, quiet. A few places around here have them.
It also helps bottle feeding mothers (and fathers) - if they have to rinse anything or make more formula they don't have to go to a yucky bathroom.

Southpaw
05-13-2012, 04:10 PM
IN WHAT WAY is this good for their marriage??

And then one day couch sleeping daddy will get fed up with the lack of attention and he'll have an affair and then everyone will say what a selfish bastard he is for only thinking of himself.

my little pony
05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
i've always suspected that some people use AP as an excuse to stop having sex with their spouses

skategal
05-13-2012, 04:53 PM
i've always suspected that some people use AP as an excuse to stop having sex with their spouses

:confused::confused::confused:

If you are referencing co-sleeping/family bed inhibiting sex, as far as I know, there are many more places to have sex in your house with your spouse besides your bed.

leesaleesa
05-13-2012, 05:17 PM
What I saw bothering some people is that while the whole AP parenting is about nurturing and close connection with the child (not sure what it implies about non-AP parents), the picture on the cover of TIME did not show any nurturing or connection. It was more like a challenge to the world.

So the mom in question said in the interview that the nursing takes place in her lap. Obviously, this shot was staged and deliberately made to look a certain way. And it worked.

Oh, of course. If it was really about the whole nurturing thing, the photographer would have done candids. Time wanted to sell magazines, so they went editorial with it. As a photographer, I would have gone with the Mother looking into the camera, but not the kid. I find it creepy. It's sterile and over posed.

milanessa
05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

If you are referencing co-sleeping/family bed inhibiting sex, as far as I know, there are many more places to have sex in your house with your spouse besides your bed.

Would that be with or without the babe attached to your boob???

;)

Prancer
05-13-2012, 05:51 PM
No, I am demonstrating that Dr. Sears has a financial incentive to tout his method and is not an unbiased source. You said Dr. Sears offers evidence that AP is the best investment and challenged me to prove that it isn't, so I showed what can be done to demonstrate the opposite. All you need is a database.

Um, all you have done is show that his data can be challenged. You haven't challenged it, nor have you given evidence that he is biased. You have presented a reason you SUSPECT he is biased, but you have in no way demonstrated that he is. Even if he is biased, it does not mean that he is wrong or that his conclusions are invalid; what you would have to demonstrate to make your point is that he is prejudicially biased, which would require you to present actual evidence of such.

There is a difference between questioning the validity of data and invalidating data. Saying that you could do a biased reply in no way demonstrates anything other than it could be done, which we already knew.

MacMadame, ITA, you just choose whichever org, the WHO or the AAP suits your purpose, depending on the argument you are making. I believe the AAP is deliberately wishy-washy on both the length of breastfeeding and circumcision--it is done out of political correctness and not necessarily based on evidence. So you are absolutely correct--both the WHO and the AAP do not necessarily base their recommendations on great quality science.

IOW, you have no idea whether the recommendations are based on great quality science or not. You are assuming that people quote one or the other based on the argument being made. Upon what do you base this assumption? It is also quite possible to look at a variety of data and conclude that one or the other is more valid and to rely on it for that reason.

Again, I'm aware people do make arguments based on cherry picked sources; you don't need to make that point again. But that in no way proves that it was done in a particular instance.

MacMadame
05-13-2012, 05:56 PM
But, for Heaven's sake, use COMMON SENSE.

And common sense would dictate that different families have different needs and that many different approaches to child-rearing do work so therefore what works for one family is not what works for another.

skategal
05-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Would that be with or without the babe attached to your boob???

;)

The baby has to sleep sometime for at least 5 minutes, right? A quickie doesn't take that long. :lol:

smileyskate
05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Why is it disgusting to nurse in the bathroom? I think it's completely fine in most cases. I see kids in there with sippy cups and snacks. Babies in strollers have their bottles or pacifiers. If it stinks and you will be in there a long time, then maybe it's a problem.

About the cover, men on the radio station commented that once that boy gets in school, maybe 2nd grade on up, think of how he will be totally ridiculed. I agree. I have not read the threads and don't want to judge her parenting, but no way would I want to be that kid and have people looking at me funny or commenting all through school. Think about the consequences to family before ya make a point. I also would not want to be any age seeing my mom and me or other sibling in any photo like that. Even in private and I am not even still a teen!

milanessa
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
About the cover, men on the radio station commented that once that boy gets in school, maybe 2nd grade on up, think of how he will be totally ridiculed. I agree. I have not read the threads and don't want to judge her parenting, but no way would I want to be that kid and have people looking at me funny or commenting all through school. Think about the consequences to family before ya make a point. I also would not want to be any age seeing my mom and me or other sibling in any photo like that. Even in private and I am not even still a teen!

If you had read the thread you'd know that's been discussed.

Southpaw
05-13-2012, 06:17 PM
The baby has to sleep sometime for at least 5 minutes, right? A quickie doesn't take that long. :lol:

A steady diet of quickies might be ok for mommy, but maybe not so much for daddy.

MacMadame
05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Why is it disgusting to nurse in the bathroom?
Because every time the toilets are flushed, microscopic feces particles fly around the room.

For the most part, in our society, feeding is a social and public function. We eat in public, we gather for meals, we eat when we gather. It's not something we sneak off into a bathroom to do, at least not usually.

Therefore the idea that breastfeeding *should* be private is mystifying to me. Sure, if you want to include breastfeeding in your private time with your kid, you should be able to. But people should be able to feed their babies in public as well, no matter what the feeding mechanism is.

About the cover, men on the radio station commented that once that boy gets in school, maybe 2nd grade on up, think of how he will be totally ridiculed. I agree. I have not read the threads and don't want to judge her parenting, but no way would I want to be that kid and have people looking at me funny or commenting all through school.
That kid is 3 years old not in 3rd grade so your righteous indignation over his being teased in school is misplaced.