PDA

View Full Version : Best 3lutz by a lady

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

floskate
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Ito had a great lutz and great any jump of course, but the problem with hers is the leg wrap was much greater than it was on any of her other jumps (many of her jumps I didnt even notice one). So I wouldnt consider hers the best for that reason.

That's not strictly true. Ito was a genius at gauging height and adjusting her air position of the free leg to gain rotation speed where necessary depending on the height she got. Take a look at various jumps throughout different performances even within one season - it's amazing how totally different they can be. She could wrap on the lutz but more often than not, she would lower the wrapped leg into a more neutral position throughout the latter half. The jump where she wrapped the worst was always the loop.

Not that I care a damn either way. :lol: Her wrap always just added to the electricity of her jumps. :D

demetriosj
05-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Volchkova, YeBin Mok

kwanatic
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
^ Irina is very popular on this board, and Irina's 3Lz/3Lp was much more difficult and enjoyable to watch than Yuna's 3Lz/3T. However, I am inclined to believe that all those that would have voted for Irina ended up voting for Harding since they were both big jumpers but Harding had a better outflowing edge.

That was always my problem with a lot of Irina's jumps: she'd come to a dead stop. Despite her speed and height, her landings were not very good.

I love good air position and pretty sustained landings...I think you should automatically get +1 if you hold a landing for two counts...

Triple Butz
05-10-2012, 09:19 PM
^ Irina is very popular on this board, and Irina's 3Lz/3Lp was much more difficult and enjoyable to watch than Yuna's 3Lz/3T. However, I am inclined to believe that all those that would have voted for Irina ended up voting for Harding since they were both big jumpers but Harding had a better outflowing edge.

It always looked to me that Irina took off of a flat or very shallow outside edge post-1998, which is not wrong, but not totally pure technique either. That's what kept me from voting for her. Her old entry worked somewhat, but was never as consistent and more often than not resulted with her dipping forward a great deal on the landing. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz2Yei1-WM#t=2m14s

I loved how skaters like Irina, Midori, and Surya were able to rearrange their programs and add jumps they had missed, which is nearly impossible to do under the current rules. It showed guts.

Vash01
05-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Viktoria Volchkova had the best 3 lutz.

Maria Butyrskaya should have been on the list, instead of a couple of skaters that are on the list (Emily and Agnes).

Triple Butz
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Viktoria Volchkova had the best 3 lutz.

Maria Butyrskaya should have been on the list, instead of a couple of skaters that are on the list (Emily and Agnes).

It was tough to compile a list with only 12 options, and I wanted to leave room for an "other" choice. I think Agnes' 3lutz is a lot higher and carries more speed and flow than Bute's, not to mention that she can do it directly from an ina bauer. I could see her replacing Emily, but really they are very comparable and I found Emily's to be a bit higher and stronger. Different strokes:)

In retrospect, I probably would have replaced Emily with Tatiana Malinina.

alchemy void
05-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Harding, for sure. For me she had it all: proper edge, technique, speed into and out of, power, and flow.

Malinina and Butyrskaya runners up. Kim's was consistent and definitely very good but lacks the wow and gorgeous factor so many of these other lutzes have, for me at least.

Like judgejudy mentioned, Butyrskaya's lutz was a thing of beauty from 98-00. Perfect technique, great timing, really good flow out and great extension on the landing (almost a quasi-spiral). The problem was she was inconsistent and especially her last years her jumps got creakier, smaller, and weaker.

Sebestyen, Volchkova, and Slutskaya all had good height but not such great flow. And Slutskaya's rather unorthodox takeoff was a turn-off for me.

Baiul had some freaking incredible ones as a pro, but they were too rare to warrant a vote.

smarts1
05-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I am so surprised Butyrskaya is getting so many votes... Her jumps were always quite low and more often than not, she came out of her jumps with very stiff knees...

barbk
05-11-2012, 03:33 AM
I am surprised Slutskaya has so few votes. It is easy to tell she was never a popular skater on this forum though.

If we were talking best 3 loop by a lady, she'd have it in my book, but her lutz was in the very-good-but-not-great category, imo.

barbk
05-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Butryskaya generally had really unpleasant landings. I just can't think of a jump that she often did really well, in comparison to Harding, Volchkova, Kim, and Malanina who each consistently had beautiful triple lutz jumps.

EricRohmer
05-11-2012, 06:17 AM
(although not a solo 3Lz)
Yuna's huge 3Lz(-3T)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8waGIfyxpQ#t=1m49s (Olympics LP fancam)

casken
05-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Butryskaya generally had really unpleasant landings. I just can't think of a jump that she often did really well,

Loop.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Volchkova, YeBin Mok

Those are the 2 that immediately came to mind for me.

DickButtonFan
05-12-2012, 12:59 AM
I picked Agnes because her jump is just so big and easy. Midori is great as well.

Aussie Willy
05-12-2012, 04:09 AM
definitely! http://youtu.be/GhZB5MwRmgI?t=42s
The thing that is impressive about Elene's 3lz is she always does something going into it such as the counter turn in this clip or a bracket. Gives added difficulty to the set up as she really has to be well balanced for the take off.