PDA

View Full Version : Best 3lutz by a lady

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

BmcC102
05-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Volchkova's jumps were beautiful on takeoffs and in the air and high but carried no flow at all out, even less than Slutskaya who atleast sometimes carried decent flow out. She looked like someone standing on her toe on the balance beam trying to keep her balance in one spot. I couldnt pick her for any jumps based on that.

ITA! Volchkova lacked good flow out of her jumps. As huge as her lutzes were, they almost never had much flow out of them. Since she was known as a jumper (and didn't bring much else to the table, IMO), I expected better.

I vote for Harding or Ito, but can't deny that Sebestyen's WAS huge in that clip someone posted. Sebestyen's lutz was probably the highest of all ladies, but Harding's was the best overall in terms of speed, flow, height, control, and take-off edge. I know some of Ito's lutzes might not have been definite outside edge, but earlier in her career they were.

Also can't deny that in the clip triplebutz found, Emily Hughes did do a WONDERFUL lutz!

Triple Butz
05-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Also Gede should be added to the list. Her 3lz is a MONSTER.

That's very true. I remember gasping at some of her 3lutzes in practice at 09 Worlds. I'm very excited to see her this coming season as she seems to have regained some of the confidence she had in her youth.

Also can't deny that in the clip triplebutz found, Emily Hughes did do a WONDERFUL lutz!

As someone here once posted, "When Emily Hughes lands a jump...it looks like an accident." While that was true much of the time, when she had the timing down, her jumps were huge and gorgeous. In addition to a true lutz, she also had a true flip which is quite rare.

barbk
05-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Harding. While she's a pariah now, her lutz really was just amazing. It really popped.

casken
05-10-2012, 04:19 AM
I can't find a video but there was a Disney on Ice special with Oksana Baiul as a guest (I believe Kwan was the big star) and she did one of the most amazing 3lutzs I have ever seen. Granted, this was filmed so she could have tried it 1,000 times but my goodness, it was beautiful.

If anyone can find her LP from the 2000 Goodwill games, Baiul does a crazy big triple lutz there. I remember it becuase afterward they showed tape of Nancy Kerrigan watching backstage and her reaction to the lutz was :wideeyes: at how huge it was.

Volchkova usually had good flow on her Sals, Flips, and Toes. The Lutz and Loop were the jumps she would usually land without much run out.

Szewczenko's lutz was amazing becuase of how much height she would get with such an awkward picking technique. It looks like she shouldn't be able to get off the ice with how bent her leg is going into the ice.

Anyone remember US skater Stacey Pengsen? Nothing too remarkable about her skating, except for a shockingly high triple lutz.

MR-FAN
05-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Also Gede should be added to the list. Her 3lz is a MONSTER.

Absolutely!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKhsIXWlqVY#t=0m40s)

Fridge_Break
05-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Tatiana Malinina - she was the first skater that popped to mind when I read the title of the thread.

Susan M
05-10-2012, 04:57 AM
I have to vote for Kristi Yamaguchi. For starters, she could do her 3 lutz in a 3Lu-3T combination, which requires it to be fully rotated and landed with speed. Second, she continued to reliably land that 3 lutz in SOI numbers for a decade after she retired from ISU competition.

FunnyBut
05-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Harding definitely. Even with the bad quality 1990s videos, you could tell it was a clear outside edge. Her jumps were monstrously big, and she went in and out of the with such great speed. I also liked Volchkova, Sebestyen , E Hughes (her edges were in general so deep) and Kim. The Kim video is a bit unfair as an entry, a whole montage of nice lutzes :lol: , I think she's the only skater on this list on whom you could find a montage doing just about anything.

I do like all the lutzes you linked, and I'm glad you included Gracie Gold .

EricRohmer
05-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I like Yuna's this Olympics warm-up 3Lz. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2nlHtPEdc

briancoogaert
05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
In fact, any true Lutz is beautiful, this is a very interesting jump.
My vote goes to Viktoria Volchkova, because it was a true Lutz, with an amazing height, but with such lightness !

Also, Vanessa Gusmeroli had a solid 3Lutz : http://youtu.be/SuY8IHlQ1-o?t=25s

RumbleFish
05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Sarah Hughes, Mao Asada lol

RunnersHigh
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I like Yuna's this Olympics warm-up 3Lz. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2nlHtPEdc

That looks like Quad.
And I loved Julia Sebestyen's too.

Jenny81
05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Definitely, Yuna Kim.

IneZR
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Julia Sebestyen. No one does lutzes like this these days, sigh :(

Jenny81
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
And I loved Julia Sebestyen's too.

Yes, me too.
I really miss my grandma's huge lutz.
But.. she retired from the competition. sigh...