PDA

View Full Version : Peaked too soon. Programs at their best that should have won OG

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

essence_of_soy
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Just some retro-speculative off season fun.

Here are a couple of programs that should have won Olympic Gold if they'd skated at the same technical and performance level.

Tonya Harding's FS, 1991 Skate America.
This program still blows me away 20 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQXBXmjumU

Jeremy Abbott's FS, 2010 US Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJorSTaB59I

Debi Thomas' FS, 1988 US Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bgiMdbiPHk

jbjanderson
05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Kwan's 1998 National's performance, it was magical.

briancoogaert
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Kwan's 1998 National's performance, it was magical.
Her 2002 US Nats LP would have been enough to win in SLC, IMO.

mysticchic
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Kwan's 96 FS, a year too early

Yazmeen
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Agree with all the MK comments; she peaked too soon in those Olympic years (yes, going coachless in 2002 didn't help). If she could have just skated with the freedom she had at Nationals at those Olympics, she could (and likely would) have been a 2-time OGM. But both times, at Olympics, to borrow from Jenny Kirk, she let the "perfection" monster hold her back.

Habs
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
If Kurt Browning had had his short program performance from Worlds in 1993 at the Olympics in Lillehammer, he would have won a medal there.

judgejudy27
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Irina Slutskaya in both the 2001-2002 and 2005-2006 seasons peaked too early. She would have won the OGM with many of her early season performance.

Tonya Harding at 91 Skate America is a great one. With how Kristi and Midori skated in Albertville she would have cruised to the gold if she had a clean short as well.

Debi Thomas in the 87-88 seasons for sure. Both her Skate Canada and U.S Nationals performances would have won the Olympic Gold, and probably bumped Witt to bronze by placing 2nd to Manley in the LP.

Abbott peaks at Nationals every year, or he doesnt peak at all.

Stojko probably would have won the 1998 Olympic Gold over Kulik with his Canadians Nationals performance. Yagudin also would have beaten Kulik in Nagano with his performance from Europeans that year.

Jammers
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Agree with all the MK comments; she peaked too soon in those Olympic years (yes, going coachless in 2002 didn't help). If she could have just skated with the freedom she had at Nationals at those Olympics, she could (and likely would) have been a 2-time OGM. But both times, at Olympics, to borrow from Jenny Kirk, she let the "perfection" monster hold her back.

There was really no reason for Michelle to have peaked at Nationals in 1998 when you think about it. She had been off the ice for about two months because of her foot injury. In fact no one knew how well she was going to skate at Nationals that year. But you wondered even then if she could duplicate those magical performance in Nagano. And of course she didn't even though she skated well enough to win most Olympics.

smarts1
05-10-2012, 01:41 AM
I know she wasn't really a gold medal contender and people would go crazy if she was an OGM, but Surya really could never hold it together in the LP at every Olympics she was in.

essence_of_soy
05-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I know she wasn't really a gold medal contender and people would go crazy if she was an OGM, but Surya really could never hold it together in the LP at every Olympics she was in.

Not a crazy theory, by any stretch.

Surya won Europeans in 1994 ahead of Oksana Bauil with a solid 7 triple free skate. Baiul's technical level at that competition was about the same as her performance in Lillehammer a month later.

robinhood
05-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Stojko probably would have won the 1998 Olympic Gold over Kulik with his Canadians Nationals performance. Yagudin also would have beaten Kulik in Nagano with his performance from Europeans that year.

I agree with most of the other things, but do u really think Stojko or Yagudin were beating a perfect Kulik with a quad? :confused: Kulik's jumps were regarded as the most perfect at the time (well, for me they are still now) and he had an advantadge in the artistic note over young Yagudin and marcial arts expert Elvis

BigB08822
05-10-2012, 03:09 AM
I don't see how anyone would have beaten Kulik in Nagano. He was better than Stoyko and Yagudin in many many ways. I know you can imagine the others skating better but it doesn't change the fact that Kulik was just about perfect himself that night and probably would not have been beaten.

Proustable
05-10-2012, 03:15 AM
While I doubt anyone was beating Kim, Rochette's Nationals LP in 2010 sure would've given the audience a jolt (though even Rochette's National score was below Kim's Olympic score)

smarts1
05-10-2012, 03:53 AM
^ The thing is, hasn't Joannie ALWAYS peaked at Canadian Nationals? I don't remember a season where she didn't put down her best LP performance at Nationals.

Proustable
05-10-2012, 03:55 AM
2007? Don't remember. She certainly peaked at Nationals in 2009 and 2010, though.