PDA

View Full Version : Peaked too soon. Programs at their best that should have won OG

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Marco
05-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Yuna had a fantastic Olympics, but she did it without sal or loop.

Yuna did a 3sal at the Olympics free skate. She also did a 2loop in her 2axel combination, so it isn't like she was skipping a jump (or two) altogether like Asada or Ando.

Harding's jumps were undisputable, but she also didn't have the pressure of having to simultaneously work on complex spins, footwork and transitions.

neptune
05-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Tonya had every triple through the 3Axel, she did them all with excellent quality, the lutz and flip both on correct and emphatically deep edges, and a 3-3 too.

Tonya ought to write a book:

If You Want Jumps Done Right, Do 'Em Yourself! ;)

Vagabond
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Or at Least Stop Others From Doing Them :yikes:

PashaFan
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Are you talking about Gig in the sky FD ?
It was amazing I loved it so much more than V/M PF :shuffle:

YES !.
LOVED IT !.
I have in on DVD at Skate America 08', TEB 08' & the GPF 08'. I never get bored watching it. They also did it as an exhibition.
I did like V/M program but felt that Del/Sch had more time in between the big moves. One of my favourite free dances of recent years :D

neptune
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Or at Least Stop Others From Doing Them :yikes:

Nah, I doubt she wants to co-write any books with Jeff. :lol:

Yazmeen
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Tonya's "style" didn't come through well because she was inconsistent in practice, staying in shape, and performance. You could usually count on Kristi to give 2, 3, 4 solid performances in a row. In contrast, you never knew which Tonya would show up at a competition. In shape, crisp jumping Tonya with clean programs that allowed her presentation to shine through, or packed-on-several-pounds, struggling Tonya. And when Tonya struggled with the jumps, the whole program went downhill as she didn't have the lightness or great presentation skills of a Kwan, Kim, Yamaguchi to fall back on.

When Tonya was "on," she was amazing. When she was off, she was mediocre to a mess. And "on" and "off" altered with one another too frequently.

skatesindreams
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
^^^
You spoke for me.

Triple Butz
05-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Tonya's "style" didn't come through well because she was inconsistent in practice, staying in shape, and performance. You could usually count on Kristi to give 2, 3, 4 solid performances in a row. In contrast, you never knew which Tonya would show up at a competition. In shape, crisp jumping Tonya with clean programs that allowed her presentation to shine through, or packed-on-several-pounds, struggling Tonya. And when Tonya struggled with the jumps, the whole program went downhill as she didn't have the lightness or great presentation skills of a Kwan, Kim, Yamaguchi to fall back on.

When Tonya was "on," she was amazing. When she was off, she was mediocre to a mess. And "on" and "off" altered with one another too frequently.

:confused: So "style" only comes through when skaters are consistent? Tonya's skating style was fast, aggressive, in your face, and like most things with Tonya...it came through loud and clear, IMO. There was definite room for improvement, but whether or not the jumps were on, Tonya was always listening to her music and using it.

IMO, it was eligible Kristi who seemed somewhat lost to me as a stylist during that era. She did not have the lines or the deep edges of a Fleming or Hamill, nor the speed and power of a Zayak or Thomas. Her programs were packed with choreography, but she didn't seem invested in it IMO. As a pro, she had a complete turn around and completely mastered her presentation skills.

VALuvsMKwan
05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
That's kind of like saying that Pat Benatar's artistry was non-existent. What is "artistry" anyway? It seems to me that when most people think of "artistry" for female skaters, they're thinking of "Mariah Carey"-type artistry--i.e., soft, gentle, and BORING. :D Tonya's artistry wasn't the traditional "ladylike" artistry so many are used to, but that doesn't mean it was any less real or valid. Of course, she could have used more polish. But personally, I think her type of artistry was far more interesting than most of the stereotyped female artistry revered by the skating establishment.

Oh me - "Mariah Carey" and "artistry" don't belong on the same PAGE to me. :eek: "Human dog whistle" and "overemphasized GLORY singing", for certain.

Must be the only gay man on earth who cannot stand "Mimi". :P

ETA: On topic, I kinda liked that mashup mess of songs from Tonya - it was voidy in its own way. And when she skated it in a fully committed way, it took my breath away.

neptune
05-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh me - "Mariah Carey" and "artistry" don't belong on the same PAGE to me. :eek: "Human dog whistle" and "overemphasized GLORY singing", for certain.

Well, I was using the term artistry rather loosely there. :lol:

Must be the only gay man on earth who cannot stand "Mimi". :P

She does have an outstanding technical voice, but there's far more to being a good singer than just that. Kylie Minogue, who has a mediocre voice, is actually a decent singer IMO because, unlike Carey, she's got charisma, personality, etc. She also has a lot more variety and excitement in her music. I find Carey's music to be almost uniformly bland, though I have liked a few of her songs.

On topic, I kinda liked that mashup mess of songs from Tonya - it was voidy in its own way.

Yeah, it was kitschy kool. :D

And when she skated it in a fully committed way, it took my breath away.

She could definitely be inspiring. Too bad she left most of the inspiration at Skate America that year.

gingercrush
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Yuna did a 3sal at the Olympics free skate. She also did a 2loop in her 2axel combination, so it isn't like she was skipping a jump (or two) altogether like Asada or Ando.

There is a huge different between a triple loop and a double loop. Not that Kim not doing a Triple Loop bothered me because heaps of skaters have missed a jump. Though in Mao's case she did do a Triple Axel.

And to whoever said Mao had trouble with triple-triples. Sure but as do most skaters and Mao has performed more Triple Axels than Harding ever did. Also I don't remember Harding ever pulling off a Triple Flip-Triple Loop. Don't get me wrong I like Harding and she was an amazing jumper. Technically perhaps the best. I think she would have done well under COP though at times Harding made silly mistakes and those may have resulted in -1s and -2s.