PDA

View Full Version : Your most favorite programs with awesomely "questionable" music/choreography

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Aussie Willy
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.
Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.

satchelpooch318
06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.

Totally agree! Although truth be told, I do adore horrendously unbalanced programs just for the geeky and math-like (to me) quirkiness of their structures. Vanessa's LOTF is probably what I view as the Holy Grail of unbalanced programs (all 6 triples before the 2:30 mark, and all 6 spins in the final 1:30), and -- as you and others have mentioned -- it legitimately still worked out beautifully.

Slightly OT, but other horribly front-loaded programs (jump-wise) that I've enjoyed are:

-- Sasha's Robin Lake (especially with the questionable lack of choreography)
-- Michelle's Red Violin
-- Shuzuka's 2004 Turandot

satchelpooch318
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU

They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.

Aussie Willy
06-09-2012, 12:38 AM
They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.
Well it is undeniable that Olga was very familiar with the music.

VALuvsMKwan
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
This is an example of a skater who doesn't need to be taught to use music. She just does and it is so innate and intuitive. Even if a choreographer gave her the moves, the interpretation has totally come from her. And not a wasted note of music and so many interesting moves and ideas. Thanks for posting because it was really worth seeing that.

What on earth stopped her from being a multiple World and Olympic champion? :eek: :swoon:

flipforsynchro
06-09-2012, 01:49 AM
What on earth stopped her from being a multiple World and Olympic champion? :eek: :swoon:

jumps :(

michiruwater
06-09-2012, 03:39 AM
People have mentioned Olga Markova but haven't actually posted this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxjQwiaGsyo) yet?

I am shocked and actually disappointed! I was sure it was a rule that this program must be posted immediately in threads like this one ;)

satchelpooch318
06-09-2012, 03:48 AM
People have mentioned Olga Markova but haven't actually posted this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxjQwiaGsyo) yet?

I am shocked and actually disappointed! I was sure it was a rule that this program must be posted immediately in threads like this one ;)

I just figured that "Let My People Go" (as well as "Hooker on Crack") have now become part of common FSU knowledge, so re-posting would be unnecessary. But I'm now seeing the error of that way of thinking. Awesome move, michiruwater!

And since I mentioned it:
Laetitia Hubert, 1998 Trophée Lalique LP, a.k.a. "Hooker on Crack":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJgL8Clf_h0

Oh wait, this was already posted upthread...oh well, it deserves all the attention it can get! :D

DORISPULASKI
06-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Another exhibition was Engi & Toth's Muppet Movie 1988 World's exhibition. Unfortunately, youtube doesn't tolerate it to be posted because of copyright issues. Attila's costume included a whole Kermit head and Klara had a Miss Piggy head and a train nearly half a rink long.

gkelly
06-09-2012, 09:36 PM

There isn't a world or Olympic championship in artistic skating.

I don't think the IOC would be interested in creating one -- doesn't meet the higher-faster-stronger criteria.

But it might be a good idea for the ISU to develop it as a separate discipline, since it would probably attract audiences and keep popular freestyle skaters in the sport longer when they can no longer keep up with the jump content needed to be competitive. Not to mention establishing new stars who could never make it to the top levels in freestyle in the first place but are more enjoyable for audiences to watch.

aliceanne
06-10-2012, 03:41 PM
There isn't a world or Olympic championship in artistic skating.

I don't think the IOC would be interested in creating one -- doesn't meet the higher-faster-stronger criteria.

But it might be a good idea for the ISU to develop it as a separate discipline, since it would probably attract audiences and keep popular freestyle skaters in the sport longer when they can no longer keep up with the jump content needed to be competitive. Not to mention establishing new stars who could never make it to the top levels in freestyle in the first place but are more enjoyable for audiences to watch.

Apparently there was an interpretive event, at least at Skate Canada in 1991. Although, this thread is the first time I've ever heard about it. I wonder how they selected the competitors?

Joanna Ng was a silver medalist at Junior Nationals, but only came in 10th at seniors according to her webpage. At age 12 I suspect she was still a junior.