PDA

View Full Version : Your most favorite programs with awesomely "questionable" music/choreography

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

TwizzlerS
05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?

sbanet
05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?

Yes, but iirc, for that one (1987 season) the referee purposely had the music cut off because Sergei Grinkov had costume malfunction that could possibly result in injury. The pair were supposed to stop skating. :o (That was the first season after they left Stanislav Zhuk.)

The Rodnina+Zaitsev 4'33" was apparently a new program given to them at 1973 Worlds by a worker at the arena in Bratislava. ;)

DORISPULASKI
05-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Rodnina & Zaitsev, in their first Worlds as a couple, skating to 4'33"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BLMcR2KmU&feature=player_detailpage#t=46s

sk8ingcoach
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.

Aussie Willy
06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.
No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.

barbk
06-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I love Carolina's choice of Shostokovich. Such a gorgeous and texturally interesting piece. I hope she continues to use selections that are less mainstream. Like Red Violin, which got quite a few "what weird music" reactions when the program was first introduced, it isn't all "pretty" melodies.

flipforsynchro
06-07-2012, 01:00 AM
I loved Brezina's Untouchables FS. Although that might be because I am extremely biased :D

sk8ingcoach
06-07-2012, 02:55 AM
No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.

Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..

aliceanne
06-07-2012, 03:01 AM
So far nothing has topped Joanna Ng's crazed exotic dancer for me, although the Night and Day Virgin polka deserves an honorable mention.

Aussie Willy
06-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..
Whoever gave her that music is a genius.

Seriously one of the issues in skating is the lack of musical education. It is why we keep getting the same pieces again and again. However skating is a sport done to music and skaters and coaches really need to look outside what they know. The laziest thing a coach can do is just hand music down from one skater to another which you see year after year.

spikydurian
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
This girl is 12 and portraying a crazed exotic dancer.... and she is actually really good. I wonder whatever happened to her. Sylvia?

Joanna Ng 1990 Skate Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TlDBuOkNfvo#t=173s (this is where the program starts; go to the beginning to see a long fluff piece with Frank Carroll).
This is unbelievable for a 12yo! :swoon: She's a natural dancer.
Yeah, what happened? Did injury cut short her skating career?

jiggs
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Whoever gave her that music is a genius.

From interviews with Carolina, Lori apparently sent it to her in advance asking her to listen to it. At first, Caro found it odd but liked the idea of skating to it and thought it would be fun trying to choreograph a SP to this piece. When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice ;)

I hope they come up with something different again next season, if Carolina decides to keep competing. She has had the best music choices out of all ladies over the past seasons.

DORISPULASKI
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU

Aussie Willy
06-07-2012, 09:58 AM
When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice ;)

:) That is always one of the best guides to good skating music - see if the kids at the rink like it.

Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU
:rofl: It is just a shocker, isn't it? Up there with Olga Markova.

Marco
06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.