PDA

View Full Version : "Ice Dancing The Raw Edge" documentary filmed at 2009-10 British Championships

Sylvia
05-07-2012, 09:09 PM
This 11.5 minute video preview was uploaded today (May 7, 2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCX6Dm2HCgs

Description:

Official Hotel Paranoia Films Promo Trailer for ICE DANCING THE RAW EDGE. A Documentary shot in [November 23-28] 2009 at The British Championships in Sheffield. An exciting glimpse at a sometimes forgotten sport in which the UK once excelled. Directed By Jim Ford. Shot by Tania Freimuth.
Featured: Sinead & John Kerr, Phillipa Towler-Green/Phillip Poole, Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland, Louise Walden/Owen Edwards, Christina Chitwood/Mark Hanretty, and coach Jimmy Young, among others.

Hindernisse
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the link, Sylvia! I didn't follow this drama back then, so it was interesting. :)

In fact, watching the film made me realise how much I do miss compulsories and ISU CD music. It brought so much elegance to the competition :(

4rkidz
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
This 11.5 minute video preview was uploaded today (May 7, 2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCX6Dm2HCgs

Description:

Featured: Sinead & John Kerr, Phillipa Towler-Green/Phillip Poole, Penny Coomes/Nicholas Buckland, Louise Walden/Owen Edwards, Christina Chitwood/Mark Hanretty, and coach Jimmy Young, among others.

I really enjoyed watching that, do you know when this will be available? I remember that season.. :slinkaway

TwizzlerS
05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I remember that there was a lot of angst and drama in a British ice dancing thread but I don't recall the details. Would someone be so kind as to provide a Reader's Digest condensed version?

allezfred
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Would someone be so kind as to provide a Reader's Digest condensed version?

:mad: :argue: :mitchell:

victoriaheidi
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Can anyone bump the thread? This is before I actively started following international skating.

MissIzzy
05-10-2012, 03:11 AM
I remember that there was a lot of angst and drama in a British ice dancing thread but I don't recall the details. Would someone be so kind as to provide a Reader's Digest condensed version?

Kerrs are top team, earn second spot to take another team to Euros/Worlds/Olympics with them starting in 2009. End of 2008, Chitwood & Hanretty appear from international results to be second-best British team. They don't finish accordingly at British Nationals. Accusations of rigged scores. They go to Europeans anyway, as does top men's skater Eliot Hilton. Neither party finishes well enough at Europeans to keep NISA from revoking their Worlds' berths. Towler-Green & Poole go instead. Hilton takes it to the magistrate and gets his spot back, but Chitwood & Hanretty don't.
Olympic season: Chitwood fails to get citizenship, they can't go to the Olympics(except this documentary doesn't seem aware of that...:eek:). Coomes & Buckland on the rise. At British Nationals, have bad free dance, still finish ahead of Chitwood & Hanretty, thus getting not only the Olympic spot, which they would've anyway, but also Europeans & Worlds spot. Hanretty's girlfriend posts to FSU about how everyone knows NISA has it in for Chitwood & Hanretty, team considering early retirement. Not sure what happens next, but Chitwood & Hanretty end up going to Worlds. Don't qualify for free dance, then retire.
The 2011 season saw another to-do about Coomes & Buckland and Walden & Edwards, but that's another story.

TwizzlerS
05-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Kerrs are top team...

Thank you. I didn't know the names at the time but now it makes sense.

Hanretty's YA3 challenge is terrific and I knew he had to have an ice dancer who had some singles skills.

Sylvia
05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I really enjoyed watching that, do you know when this will be available?
I found a listing for it on the Hollywood Fringe Festival's site (this year's dates are June 14-24, 2012): http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/823

A much more detailed description of this documentary can be viewed in the Plot Outline section at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-RAW-EDGE-THE-STORY/225183587713?v=info

viennese
05-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Interesting. I remember this endless, contentious, fascinating thread. Always loved the Kerrs, so I will be keen to see this.