PDA

View Full Version : 2012 PSA 'Edi' Award Nominations announced, to be presented on May 24

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
05-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Rochester, MN - Every year the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) recognizes exceptional coaching achievement through the annual EDI awards. The Education and Dedication International (EDI) Awards are named after the late World and Olympic coach, Edi Scholdan, who died in the 1961 world team plane crash. Scholdan was the first president of the PSA and inspiration for the awards.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=377322585646909&set=a.137271976318639.22619.135977363114767&type=1&theater

Joint PSA and U.S. Figure Skating Edi Award Nominees (an USFS press release should be coming soon):

Coach of the Year Award
Nominees: Jason Dungejn & Yuka Sato, John Nicks, Dalilah Sappenfield, Marina Zoueva & Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo & Angelika Krylova, Saga Krantz

Developmental Coach of the Year Award
Nominees: Tammy Gambill, Dalilah Sappenfield, Todd Sand & Jenni Meno, Alexei Kiliakov & Elena Novak & Dmytri Ilin, Pam May

Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award
Nominees: Phillip Mills, Scott Brown, Jeremy Abbott, Sheryl Franks & Deidre Williams, Pasquale Camerlengo

Pieter Kollen Sport Science Coaching Award
Nominees: Kat Arbour, Heidi Thibert, Christy Krall, Chris Conte

Paul Wylie and Emily Hughes will be hosting the annual PSA Awards Dinner, “Eve of the Revolution,” presenting the awards on May 24, 2012, at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel in Boston, MA.

valyrian
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Jeremy should definitely win the choreography award. Exogenesis was the most beautiful program in the world this season.

aftershocks
05-07-2012, 07:55 PM
^^ ITA! :swoon:

Is Phillip Mills being honored for his work with Ashley Wagner? Who has Scott Brown choreographed for, and also Sheryl Franks and Deirdre Williams? Pasquale did wonderful work for Adam Rippon (and many other skaters/ ice dancers this season).

I wonder are the nominations based on work in general for the season if you have choreographed more than one piece? Jeremy choreographed Muse with Yuka Sato, and he choreographed Hometown Glory with Massimo and Yuka. Last season, Jeremy choreographed his Rhythm of Love exhibition (which I believe was his first choreographic effort).

I think Julie Marcotte is missing from the nominations. She did absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing choreography for Takahashi/ Tran and Duhamel/ Radford this season.

AJ Skatefan
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM

I think Julie Marcotte is missing from the nominations. She did absolutely beautiful and mesmerizing choreography for Takahashi/ Tran and Duhamel/ Radford this season.

I think the PSA is a US organization. Julie Marcotte is Canadian and her best choreography this season was with non US skaters.

shan
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Is Phillip Mills being honored for his work with Ashley Wagner? Who has Scott Brown choreographed for, and also Sheryl Franks and Deirdre Williams? Pasquale did wonderful work for Adam Rippon (and many other skaters/ ice dancers this season).

I think Sheryl Franks choreographs for Boston pairs like Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff. I particularly liked Donlan/Speroff's LP this season.

Sylvia
05-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I think Sheryl Franks choreographs for Boston pairs like Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff. I particularly liked Donlan/Speroff's LP this season.
Correct. Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff's "Sleeping Beauty" free skate won the PSA's EDI Award for Best Performance (Pairs) at 2012 Nationals in San Jose, CA.

Jeremy Abbott won the Best Performance EDI for his self-choreographed (with Yuka Sato) Muse FS, and Agnes Zawadzki for her winning SP to "Harlem Nocturne"/"Whatever Lola Wants," which was choreographed by Scott Brown (someone correct me if I am wrong).

l'etoile
05-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Pasquale Camerlengo & Angelika Krylova should definitely get the coach of the year! The most mesmerizing rise of talents of W/P and P/B! I actually liked P/B's programs more than ever.

I wouldn't mind if John Nicks gets it for his brilliant work with Ashely.

There are so many talents behind talented skaters. Can't help but falling in love with the sport:swoon:

shan
05-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Pasquale Camerlengo & Angelika Krylova should definitely get the coach of the year! The most mesmerizing rise of talents of W/P and P/B! I actually liked P/B's programs more than ever.

I wouldn't mind if John Nicks gets it for his brilliant work with Ashely.

There are so many talents behind talented skaters. Can't help but falling in love with the sport:swoon:

But it's a USFSA award, so wouldn't they be thinking more of their work with Hubbell/Donohue and younger teams?

rhumba
05-08-2012, 03:49 AM
But it's a USFSA award, so wouldn't they be thinking more of their work with Hubbell/Donohue and younger teams?

Exactly, totally agree. My guess is John Nicks will get the vote. Can't see Jason and Yuga win due to poor show on both Jeremy and Alissa at Worlds.

l'etoile
05-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Oh, why did I get impression it's for all-round. I remember a Canadian choreographer saying he's attending PSA meeting then I wondered "what's PSA?" and looked it up as it was Professional Skaters Association. Isn't it?

AJ Skatefan
05-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, why did I get impression it's for all-round. I remember a Canadian choreographer saying he's attending PSA meeting then I wondered "what's PSA?" and looked it up as it was Professional Skaters Association. Isn't it?

http://www.skatepsa.com/About-Us-p.htm

nylynnr
05-08-2012, 04:30 PM

A Canadian choreographer, i.e. David Wilson, could be honored by the PSA for a program he created for a U.S. skater. The awards are given to coaches for training U.S. skaters, and for choreographers for creating programs for U.S. skaters.

aftershocks
05-08-2012, 04:44 PM
The nominations did seem more U.S.-weighted. So, thanks for the explanations nylynnr and AJ Skatefan.

And thanks Sylvia for the further details on "Best Performance" winners. When were the Best Performance Edi Awards announced and presented?

ETA:
Has anyone here subscribed to PSA TV? I suppose it is mainly used by coaches.

http://www.skatepsa.com/PSA-TV.htm

Sylvia
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
And thanks Sylvia for the further details on "Best Performance" winners. When were the Best Performance Edi Awards announced and presented?
February 24 (there is no formal presentation ceremony, AFAIK) - here's the thread I started in the 2012 US Nationals forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82703

2012 PSA Conference and Trade Show, May 24-May 26, 2012 - event page (the Awards Dinner is held on the evening of the first night): https://netforum.avectra.com/eWeb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=PSA&WebCode=EventDetail&evt_key=0d30f47b-83bc-403e-ac8f-60295c42f0a4

aliceanne
05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
These 3, Alexei Kiliakov & Elena Novak & Dmytri Ilin, created an ice dance program out of thin air in the DC area. They are probably not as well known as some of the other nominees, but they have had a lot of success at the juvenile/intermediate levels. I wish them luck.