PDA

View Full Version : 2012 "Skate for Hope" benefit show - June 16 in Columbus, Ohio

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sylvia
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Official site with event/ticket info: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=general

Cast of 2012 headliner skaters: http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/skateforhope

Caitlin Yankowskas tweeted this photo of a group rehearsal yesterday (her & Josh Reagan, Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles, Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier and choreographer Kate McSwain): http://twitter.com/#!/CaitsYankowskas/status/198895913282961408/photo/1

Garden Kitty
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I've been in the past and it's always a great show for a wonderful cause. The show is a nice mix of headliners and skaters of all ranges. If anyone can make it, I'd highly recommend the show!

Sylvia
05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Tweeted by @skateforhope:
"SFH is on Groupon today & tomorrow only! Don't miss getting the best seats at the best price! :) Join us June"
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-skate-for-hope

Promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd82oC_0Ug8

Rochelle
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Thank you for sharing notice about the Groupon -- I have several skating friends who live within a 3 hours drive of Columbus, so I can help spread the word on social media as well.

It's a great deal, for a great show, for a good cause. I've attended two years in the past, and will be taking my mother (Mother's Day gift) again this year. There's a nice mix of the headliner solos, group numbers for lower level local skaters and adults, and nice tributes to skater's relatives that have survived cancer.

Tony Wheeler
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Yikes. It's sad to see that the prices have dropped this low for a show in my current city. However, I think one of the major problems that it has had for at least the last two years and yet again this year is that it takes place the exact same day as Columbus Pride. The Parade is only a few hours before the show, and the whole weekend has turned out to be one of the bigger LGBT festivals in the midwest (Columbus got voted as the top up and coming gay city by the Advocate or some other magazine just last year IIRC). It attracts people from all over the place, and the festivities start bright and early. This also is the starting weekend for several big events in Columbus throughout summer (Comfest the following weekend, Doo Dah and Red White & Boom a few weeks later, etc.)

If I were Skate for Hope, I'd try to get the event a weekend before Pride. I attended in 2010, and even with Johnny Weir as the headliner, it wasn't a very crowded arena.

Sylvia
06-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Bumping up for the show this Saturday... hoping there will be reports, photos and/or videos! :)

Rochelle
06-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Is anyone else attending?

Anyone?

If not, I can give a basic report back on the overall performances. I don't do pictures and videos, since I like to... you know... actually watch the skating as it's happening live before me. But if someone else from here is attending and planning on giving a report, I'll gladly pass. ;)

Artistic Skaters
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm going! First, drag queens at the Pride parade (oh so pretty!), then lunch at the Clever Crow in the North Market (good pizza approved by Anthony Bourdain). A couple handcrafted brews & it's showtime! Such a fun day. :lol:

mgobluegirl
06-14-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd like to go maybe, but I don't have anyone to go with. FSU meet-up, anyone?

leapfrogonice
06-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm not sure I see why coincident scheduling of this event with the Pride weekend would be problematic. :confused:

maureenfarone
06-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure I see why coincident scheduling of this event with the Pride weekend would be problematic. :confused:

I'm not in Columbus, but my guess is that streets/roads will be blocked off to allow for the parade to pass which will make getting to the Nationwide Arena more difficult. I also heard from a friend that a parking garage is being built near the Arena which has reduced the parking spaces available due to construction. Since more people will probably be parking in the area to attend the parade (to participate or watch), that could impact available parking for the skating event. Just a guess on my part!

Sylvia
06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Good for Rachael! http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/hshuddle/entries/2012/06/13/skate_for_hope_at_hobart_arena.html

Rachael Flatt, former US National Champion, World Junior Champion and 2010 Olympic competitor will host this seminar on Friday, June 15 at Hobart Arena in Troy. Proceeds from Skate for Hope are donated to the Stefanie Spielman Fund at the Ohio State University James Cancer Center and the Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer.

Rachael answered a fan letter from Julia Lukacs, a 13 year old South Dayton figure skater, asking her to conduct a seminar if ever she was in the area. Six months later, Rachael will be in Columbus performing in the “Skate for Hope” fundraiser and she offered to teach a seminar for her young fan and the two figure skating clubs [South Dayton Figure Skating Club & Troy Skating Club].

Enjoy the show Rochelle & Artistic Skaters (and HeatherC, too)! mgobluegirl, I hope you decide to go as well!

manleywoman
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Yikes. It's sad to see that the prices have dropped this low for a show in my current city. However, I think one of the major problems that it has had for at least the last two years and yet again this year is that it takes place the exact same day as Columbus Pride. The Parade is only a few hours before the show, and the whole weekend has turned out to be one of the bigger LGBT festivals in the midwest (Columbus got voted as the top up and coming gay city by the Advocate or some other magazine just last year IIRC). It attracts people from all over the place, and the festivities start bright and early. This also is the starting weekend for several big events in Columbus throughout summer (Comfest the following weekend, Doo Dah and Red White & Boom a few weeks later, etc.)

If I were Skate for Hope, I'd try to get the event a weekend before Pride. I attended in 2010, and even with Johnny Weir as the headliner, it wasn't a very crowded arena.
Well, since the organizer is doing her best to save money and not spend it, I suspect that the date of SFH was the cheapest date she could get the arena. And that may be because the Parade is the same day. Just a guess, but I do know she's good at making sure to keep expenses down.

Rochelle
06-14-2012, 06:32 PM
A Columbus Dispatch article:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/06/14/daughter-takes-to-ice-to-honor-mom-at-fundraiser.html

For months, 8-year-old Serafina Rees has kept a big secret from her mom.

Michele Rees knows that her daughter will perform at Skate for Hope, the annual figure-skating show and breast-cancer fundraiser at Nationwide Arena.

But not until the show on Saturday will she learn of her daughter’s skating partner: Olympian Emily Hughes, whose mother faced breast cancer when she was about Serafina’s age. (To maintain the surprise, Rees agreed not to read this story until after the show.)

After the two perform to the Christina Perri song A Thousand Years, Serafina will skate to the audience to give a rose and a hug to her mother, whose stage III breast cancer was diagnosed in 2010.

“She’s going to cry,” said Serafina, who recently finished second grade at Wickliffe Progressive Community School in Upper Arlington. ...

Garden Kitty
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
How sweet of Rachael to do the seminar and to respond to a young fan like that. I can't make it this year, but I'd encourage anyone who can to attend.

It's great to see the elite skaters, but the performances from groups of younger skaters and adult skaters are wonderful too. The whole show has a really great atmosphere and it's nice to see the guest skaters interact with all the other skaters as well. Everyone just seems to be having such a great time. The " single ladies" number last year was especially fun.

And last year all the skaters stayed for a long time after the show signing autographs and taking pictures which was very sweet of them as well.