PDA

View Full Version : Dan ZHANG has retired; Hao ZHANG and Cheng PENG are a new Chinese pair

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

luckiest1
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Awwww, I have always loved this pair and am sorry to read this! However, I'm glad that Hao is continuing with a new partner and I wish them every success.

Japanfan
05-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Height has nothing to do with weight gain.

But when you grow taller, there is more of you. A 5'4 person weighing 105 pounds is thinner than a 5'3 person weighing the same, providing the body type is identical.

overedge
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
But when you grow taller, there is more of you. A 5'4 person weighing 105 pounds is thinner than a 5'3 person weighing the same, providing the body type is identical.

But despite the previous post, I am not convinced that she has grown any taller.
And, at the risk of inciting :lynch:, I will also say that excess weight is not a problem that Dan Zhang has ever appeared to have.

shah
05-07-2012, 09:17 PM
will never forget their great great great sp of the 2008/2009 season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0eE9DeoTg

oh definitely, one of their most successful short programmes. also this year's sp to Transylvanian Lullaby was very pleasing to the eye...
:(
who would've thought I'd miss Dan Zhang and her total lack of expression? it seems I've got accustomed so much to seeing them together that it's hard for me to imagine Hao Zhang with a different partner...

judgejudy27
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
That's too bad, I was never a huge fan of the Zhangs, but I was always kind of hoping that they would at some point improve their artistry a bit (like the last two seasons, where they really didnt go too far..) to win a world title. They were technically a great team and even though I have never cared for their style I thought they were technically the best Chinese pairs team (even over S/Z, who were my favorites).

I'll wait to see but the initial thought of the new pairing is a bit :scream: the age difference is a bit wow. I have a feeling it will be semi-successful though, and I do think that Z/Z had a solid career and should be proud of what they accomplished. Their 2006 Oly freeskate really was one of those unreal Olympic moments. I still can't believe she was able to land a 2axel-3toe combo after that! :respec:

If they had improved their artistry sooner they could have won a World title. They actually DID improve their artistry greatly the last few seasons, the problem was it was too late. By the time they finally began improving their artistry other teams had surpassed them technically like the Germans, the new Volosozhar & Trankov pairing, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and they no longer were the pets of the Chinese federation. 2006-2008 was their window and they didnt make the needed improvements then, 2010-2012 was just not their time anymore, even though they were finally doing the things then they should have done years earlier.

As for the new pairing I see it being a bust compared to the Zhangs success, if semi successful is top 8 at Worlds a few times and some minor grand prix event medals, yeah I could see that, but that is all. I wish the Chinese federation would let Hao Zhang retire in peace rather than breaking up young partnerships to force a past his prime veteran to keep competing and chasing unrealistic goals. I wish there was a market for the Zhangs continue skating as pros in Asia so they could have kept the partnership together and reaped the rewards they deserve for a solid and excellent career.

skateboy
05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I know the Zhangs are not a popular team among here but I've always had a soft spot for them. They are incredibly athletic and have a somewhat cute presence on ice. I will miss them. :(

Looking forward to seeing Hao and the new partner, and wishing Dan good luck on her future endeavors! :)

Ditto.

Ziggy
05-08-2012, 12:19 AM
But despite the previous post, I am not convinced that she has grown any taller.
And, at the risk of inciting :lynch:, I will also say that excess weight is not a problem that Dan Zhang has ever appeared to have.

Well, she has. :P

MikiAndoFan#1
05-08-2012, 12:21 AM
The Zhangs were one of my favorite teams. I'll miss them. :( Good luck to Dan and to Cheng & Hao!

Sylvia
05-08-2012, 02:20 AM
and here's a short practice video from the new pair(the 13th day together):
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/76474585-1216998257.html
Thanks for the video of their throw triple Salchow!

Here's an English version of the Chinese article(s) posted at the beginning of this thread: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2012-05/08/content_15231217.htm

l'etoile
05-08-2012, 02:49 AM
How sad! Zhang/Zhang's power on ice was so impressive that one would never forget their presence. I hope for the best for Dan since she wants to move onto the next adventure in her life:)

But, I don't think this new paired team would ever achieve near what Z/Z had to offer in the past. Maybe barely enough to keep three tickets for pairs in World with other top chinese pairs?

MacMadame
05-08-2012, 02:58 AM
But either way, the guy has to be able to hoist 105 pounds in the air and 105 pounds doesn't weigh more if the gal is shorter. It's still 105 pounds.

At some point in their career, Dan decided she needed to lose weight in order for Hao to lift her properly and to continue to have the big tricks. She's been pretty thin ever since. If she just doesn't want to do that any more, more power to her!

kwanfan1818
05-08-2012, 06:39 AM
But either way, the guy has to be able to hoist 105 pounds in the air and 105 pounds doesn't weigh more if the gal is shorter. It's still 105 pounds.
I don't believe that she grew and didn't gain weight, but even if she had, the balance of handling a taller woman with longer limbs is a different challenge, which I think was Japanfan's point, especially since his muscle memory of where her body parts would be from over a decade was so engrained.

At some point in their career, Dan decided she needed to lose weight in order for Hao to lift her properly and to continue to have the big tricks. She's been pretty thin ever since. If she just doesn't want to do that any more, more power to her!
The last time I saw her live, she didn't look as thin to me as she had in the past. She was quite stunning and looked healthier than I'd ever seen her.

Marco
05-08-2012, 07:54 AM
She uses weibo(chinese company version of twitter),you can leave message to her directly(need register):
http://weibo.com/u/1823980351

She made a few bitter posts about someone being fake (presumably about the split? but there was no mention of names). And this was a couple of hours after Zhang Hao posted a thank you to her. :shuffle:

Jenny81
05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Hmmm.. That's a bad news for me. :(

BTW, I heard that they're a couple.
NO??? :confused:

MacMadame
05-08-2012, 04:49 PM
The last time I saw her live, she didn't look as thin to me as she had in the past. She was quite stunning and looked healthier than I'd ever seen her.

That's good. At times I worried about her being too thin.