PDA

View Full Version : Dan ZHANG has retired; Hao ZHANG and Cheng PENG are a new Chinese pair

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

kwanfan1818
05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Videos of Cheng PENG skating with her former partner, Tianci ZHANG (coached by Bo Luan) at the Chinese Winter National Games in January 2012 where they placed 6th in Senior Pairs behind Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Sui/Han, Yu/Jin and Dong/Wu:
SP (48.90): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpOcbFdthQ
FS (96.84): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umoivWFqGCU

Many thanks for the links, Sylvia!

She's got some wonderful qualities, like the blurred rotation in the twist (SP), clear, clean positions in the spins, and lovely arch in her back in the death spiral. She also showed more personality in that snooze of a FS than Dan Zhang did in most of her career.

Were Peng/Zhang a Luan Bo pair?

I'm kinda sad about this. I hope Hao Zhang is continuing because he wants to and not just because his federation wants him to.
He has a real personality and showed a good dance quality in exhibitions that was not used very much in his competitive programs with Dan Zhang. She has spark and personality, and I hope Bin Yao doesn't try to stomp on it: they have the potential to be memorable if they get some choreography that let them be expressive.

If he's pressured to be in it, I hope this new pairing at least gives him reason to want to continue.

julieann
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
He has a real personality and showed a good dance quality in exhibitions that was not used very much in his competitive programs with Dan Zhang. She has spark and personality, and I hope Bin Yao doesn't try to stomp on it: they have the potential to be memorable if they get some choreography that let them be expressive.

If he's pressured to be in it, I hope this new pairing at least gives him reason to want to continue.

I hope it means he wants to continue, he could feasibly continue until 2018, he will only be 33. They could really be good if her artistry gets better as she gets older.

I think he really looks better in shows as well.

overedge
05-07-2012, 02:37 AM
She attributed the retirement to her height, and she plans to pursue her studies in Beijing.

:confused: She has pretty much been the same height since she started competing internationally. Why is her height now an issue?

lakewood
05-07-2012, 03:10 AM
:confused: She has pretty much been the same height since she started competing internationally. Why is her height now an issue?

I think it means that she is tall and so her weight increses fast as she gets older.

kwanfan1818
05-07-2012, 03:50 AM
According to this post in the Trash Can, she has grown:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3559370&postcount=7

luCN
05-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Is there a way to get a fare well message to Dan Zhang?

if I don't misunderstand,you mean you want to contact her and send wishes to her?

She uses weibo(chinese company version of twitter),you can leave message to her directly(need register):
http://weibo.com/u/1823980351

Karpenko
05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
That's too bad, I was never a huge fan of the Zhangs, but I was always kind of hoping that they would at some point improve their artistry a bit (like the last two seasons, where they really didnt go too far..) to win a world title. They were technically a great team and even though I have never cared for their style I thought they were technically the best Chinese pairs team (even over S/Z, who were my favorites).

I'll wait to see but the initial thought of the new pairing is a bit :scream: the age difference is a bit wow. I have a feeling it will be semi-successful though, and I do think that Z/Z had a solid career and should be proud of what they accomplished. Their 2006 Oly freeskate really was one of those unreal Olympic moments. I still can't believe she was able to land a 2axel-3toe combo after that! :respec:

Buzz
05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Sad to hear this, but good luck to the new team.

CynicElle
05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I know the Zhangs are not a popular team among here but I've always had a soft spot for them. They are incredibly athletic and have a somewhat cute presence on ice. I will miss them. :(

So will I. I always enjoyed watching them at live competitions, and off the ice, Hao was always so upbeat and smiley when I'd see him. I wish both of them luck and will be interested to see how he does with a new partner.

Jeschke
05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
they had a great career together.

despite the olympic silver, they really pushed themselves and especially savchenko/szolkowy in the 2008 and 2009 season.

will never forget their great great great sp of the 2008/2009 season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0eE9DeoTg

sad to see how they were pushed back in they 2010 olympic season with the return of shen/zhao and a really awful sp.

i will miss them a lot, she was absolutely gorgeous!

kirkbiggestfan
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Always had the impression that the Chinese pairs stayed together for ever. Looks like the Trankov situation inspired more than one pair.

Zemgirl
05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Always had the impression that the Chinese pairs stayed together for ever. Looks like the Trankov situation inspired more than one pair.
The Zhangs were together pretty much forever - 15 years, I think?

I don't see what this has to do with Trankov. Dan Zhang was just too tall to continue in pairs - so either they both retired, or he had to find a new partner. It's nothing like the Mukhortova/Trankov breakup and V/T's partnership.

Kelvster
05-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Never been the biggest fan - there were just too many things which they never managed to correct (poor lines, unpointed toes etc.,)

However, I just re-watched their 2006 olympic free skate, and no one can ever erase my memories of that performance.

Reminds me of how, in life, it's so easy to give up ... and how, when the goal is a worthwhile one, one must fight to the end. :(

luCN
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
So will I. I always enjoyed watching them at live competitions, and off the ice, Hao was always so upbeat and smiley when I'd see him. I wish both of them luck and will be interested to see how he does with a new partner.

Yes!Hao is really a very good person!every time I meet him,he smiles.he's so kind to everyone.hope he can do well with new partner.

and here's a short practice video from the new pair(the 13th day together):
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/76474585-1216998257.html

overedge
05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I think it means that she is tall and so her weight increses fast as she gets older.

Height has nothing to do with weight gain.