PDA

View Full Version : E-Reader advice wanted

Pages : 1 [2]

PDilemma
05-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Has she tried reading on them? Make sure she tries them all before you purchase.

My mother is also legally blind. We went to test run e-readers and she could not easily read on any of them as the print could not be made large enough. She was able to read on an iPad2 and it had a lot of other apps and adaptations that would be very useful to her.

genevieve
12-29-2012, 11:57 PM
hey all, I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes for some advice - my mom has requested a new Kindle for her birthday. She's got a Kindle, and I believe she'd like the same brand, because that's how she is, but the most important feature she wants is whatever the backlight thingie is, so she can read in the dark. She had no power for days after Hurricane Sandy and could not read once the sun went down, which bummed her out considerably. I'm thinking Kindle Fire, but the site I went to doesn't mention this feature specifically. Is it just standard now for all e-readers?

Obviously, I don't have any sort of e-reader :shuffle:

As an aside, while searching for this thread, I found no less than 4 previous threads with the same title: "Kindle or Nook?" :lol:

Reuven
12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
The kindle fire is backlit, but if she’s just looking for an e-reader and has no need for web surfing, games, etc, Kindle Paperwhite (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Touch-light/dp/B007OZNZG0/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356826025&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle) is also backlit, and cheaper.

Prancer
12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
hey all, I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes for some advice - my mom has requested a new Kindle for her birthday. She's got a Kindle, and I believe she'd like the same brand, because that's how she is, but the most important feature she wants is whatever the backlight thingie is, so she can read in the dark. She had no power for days after Hurricane Sandy and could not read once the sun went down, which bummed her out considerably. I'm thinking Kindle Fire, but the site I went to doesn't mention this feature specifically. Is it just standard now for all e-readers?

She probably wants a Kindle Paperwhite (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Touch-light/dp/B007OZNZG0). The Kindle Fire is a tablet and the battery life is fairly short; the Kindle Paperwhite is an ereader and the battery will last a long time, even with the light.

ETA: Great minds, Reuven. :lol:

Reuven
12-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Prancer and Reuven, two minds with but a single thought! :lol:

star_gazer11
12-30-2012, 12:21 AM
... the backlight thingie is, so she can read in the dark... Is it just standard now for all e-readers?

Not yet. Three ereaders have this: B&N Nook Glowlight, Amazon Paperwhite, Kobo Glo.

Amazon and Kobo only released their models a few months ago, it's a relatively new feature in ereaders. As mentioned, a tablet would be another option but they don't have e-ink screens.

orbitz
12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
You should visit your local B&N and Best Buy to test out the Nook Reader and the Kindle Paperwhite, respectively.

I think the Kindle Paperwhite look quite good. The text appears nicely crisp against a muted white background that doesn't strain the eyes.

I have an unlighted Nook Reader from last year that still function quite well. The new lighted Nook looks good too, but I've read many complaints on the B&N site about a burn out hole that starts from the middle of the nook after a few weeks of owning it.

genevieve
12-30-2012, 02:31 AM
thanks y'all! present ordered! :cool:

(orbitz, I would have rather bought one in person, but none of the stores near me have them in stock, so I'm just going for it)

AxelAnnie
12-30-2012, 06:05 AM
happy mom.... nice kid