PDA

View Full Version : What's With The French ?

Pages : [1] 2

MrLucky
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Having finaly gotten around to watching the 2012 WC's I can say the French are some of the most perceptive skating fans in the world. :)

Although the booing of Chan was unfortunate the results in the Men's event were even sadder.

Last time I recall such a reaction was many decades ago and again it was the French crowd booing and hissing the results of the Ladies event.

Seems the best free skater in the world, Miss Janet Lynn failed to make the podium after literally skating circles around the other competitors.

The reaction of the French fans caught the attention of ISU officials and changes in the scoring system were made.

Hoping Dai's Silver medal will cause the clueless ISU officials to make some much needed changes in the current system which is nothing less than absurd.

Cheylana
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
:yikes::scream::scream::scream:

JanetB
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Having finaly gotten around to watching the 2012 WC's I can say the French are some of the most perceptive skating fans in the world. :)

Although the booing of Chan was unfortunate the results in the Men's event were even sadder.

Last time I recall such a reaction was many decades ago and again it was the French crowd booing and hissing the results of the Ladies event.

Seems the best free skater in the world, Miss Janet Lynn failed to make the podium after literally skating circles around the other competitors.

The reaction of the French fans caught the attention of ISU officials and changes in the scoring system were made.

Hoping Dai's Silver medal will cause the clueless ISU officials to make some much needed changes in the current system which is nothing less than absurd.

What I would say MrLucky is that just like the French crowd in both of these events you seem to be unaware that there are two segments in the menís event, the short and the long program. And while there maybe arguments in the long program for Daisuke Takahashi PC's to be closer to Patrick's in the long program. There are no legitimate arguments that would allow Daisuke's PC rise enough to both exceed Patrickís enough in the long to both win the long and to over come Patrickís lead from the short.

bmcg
05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
It appears MrLucky is let out of his padded cell once a month to spew his Chan hatred. I wouldn't take him seriously at all. :lol:

RumbleFish
05-05-2012, 02:14 AM
The French crowd is the best in the world.
I absolutely loved it when they booed the shit out of judges and ISU officials at 2006 Euros ice dance medal ceremony.

aftershocks
05-05-2012, 03:15 AM
What I would say MrLucky is that just like the French crowd in both of these events you seem to be unaware that there are two segments in the men’s event, the short and the long program. And while there maybe arguments in the long program for Daisuke Takahashi PC's to be closer to Patrick's in the long program. There are no legitimate arguments that would allow Daisuke's PC rise enough to both exceed Patrick’s enough in the long to both win the long and to over come Patrick’s lead from the short.

Actually, and ironically, when Janet Lynn skated in Lyon, France in 1971, there were not "two segments," i.e., not a short program with long program (there was only compulsory figures and free skating which each counted for different percentages). Because of the reaction by the crowd to the overall results (they could not understand why Janet did not win for her superb free skating), the ISU changed the rules (in 1973) making figures count for a bit less in the overall results and instituting a short program, which did not previously exist. The biggest problem for Janet was her poor figures in the compulsory part of the competition, which again the audience did not see or understand in terms of the marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvtjbcv-Cs

In the case of Chan vs. Daisuke, et al, the French crowd (for whatever it's worth) did get to see both "segments" of the competition. Unless everyone who booed is interviewed regarding their reasons for booing, we can only speculate. My speculation is that some in the audience were booing not Chan, but the judges' marks -- apparently many enjoyed Daisuke's skate and may have preferred to see him win. Again, Chan fans, this is only speculation on my part. :P

In any case, WC 2012 results are water under the bridge by now. ISU judges seemed to desire to make it up to Daisuke at WTT, and also to Davis/ White. Both Daisuke and D/W skated beautifully at both the World Championships and at WTT (in Daisuke's case, his quad in the fp at WTT was landed more cleanly).

PinkFeathers
05-05-2012, 04:31 AM
I'm... I'm not sure what's going on here, but I feel dumber having read it :scream:

aftershocks
05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
^^Ha ha, perhaps because figure skating can be as unfathomable as the title of this thread? :slinkaway

kittyjake5
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
The title of this thread is misleading, no?

gofigure
05-05-2012, 05:04 PM
The French fans were not the only ones who voiced their disapproval of the results. Canadians, Americans, Russians - there were fans from many other nations who disagreed with the result.

Aussie Willy
05-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm... I'm not sure what's going on here, but I feel dumber having read it :scream:
:lol: Yep doesn't really provide any intellectual contribution to FSU.

aftershocks
05-06-2012, 06:22 PM
:lol: Yep, Aussie Willy ... as if there are so many threads on FSU, particularly in Trash Can/ The Skip, that ever provide any "intellectual" contribution.

Perhaps those looking for "intellectual" conversation might wish to have threads judged and rated according to their "intellectual" value, so there will be no surprises once opened, that is if the titles of particular threads aren't already a dead giveaway. ;)

Well, at least you make a lot of sense gofigure, in this otherwise "dumb" and imperfectly useless thread. :P FSU readers (and especially Chan fans) beware ...

Aussie Willy
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Why thank you!

spikydurian
05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Yep doesn't really provide any intellectual contribution to FSU.
That's the best we can get from MrLucky, AW. :D

Johnny_Fever
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
What's With The French ?Jerry Lewis is huge in France. That might help you put things in perspective. ;)