PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Figure Skating Financial Accountability

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

barbk
05-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm not seeing anything awful in the most recent 990 filing. What has raised your concern?

My nonprofit organizations have taken a hit on investments and have recorded lower donations as well. That's a challenge for most nonprofits these days.

kwanfan1818
05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
They also must not be aware that test judges and competition judges have a copy on the panel at events. We currently can't use phones/personal electronic devices on the stands when judging, per current US Figure Skating rules.
He points out that the .pdf file can be printed out as needed.

Morry Stillwell
05-12-2012, 09:40 PM
With the soon-to-be published actions from the just concluded 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council within the next week or so, I believe that it is also appropriate that everyone should get a look-see at USFSA's past three years of IRS filings, beginning with:

2010 Form 990 (the latest year available) which is for the 2009-2010 tax year. (It appears that USFS lost over 2 million dollars in revenue for this reporting period.)

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2010/840/768/2010-840768715-0738ed55-9.pdf (http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2010/840/768/2010-840768715-0738ed55-9.pdf)

IceNetwork Revenue and assets figures are on page 27.

The 2009 Form 990, which is for the 2008-2009 tax year

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2009/840/768/2009-840768715-05f83b15-9.pdf (http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2009/840/768/2009-840768715-05f83b15-9.pdf)

Scroll down to the "Related Organizations and Unrelated Partnerships" Schedule R Form 990 section to see IceNetwork total income and end of year assets figures.

The 2008 Form 990, which is for the 2007-2008 tax year

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2008/841/558/2008-841558040-048f446b-9.pdf (http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2008/841/558/2008-841558040-048f446b-9.pdf)

There is no earlier required filing information on IceNetwork as the law apparently did not require it prior to 2009 filing. A tax accountant is researching this for me presently and when I learn more, I will report on this.

I am sorry, but just what are you looking for? If we search as you suggest, what should we find? Tax returns are not usually the source of entertainment.:)

Rochelle
05-12-2012, 09:53 PM
He points out that the .pdf file can be printed out as needed.

Yes... but the 2011-2012 Test Book is 142 pages if printed single sided, at the current .PDF dimensions. And the 2011-12 Official Rulebook is 181 pages if printed single sided, at the current .PDF dimensions.

While for some of us it's not an issue to print these two documents off at company/business copiers... three-hole punch it... and use it.. not every judge has that luxury.

Many of our most active test and competition judges on a local level are retired -- some easily in their 80's+, and it's just going to be an added hassle for them to have it printed.

We will adjust, and survive, and move on without US Figure Skating printed rulebooks and find ways to print our own... but the officials are a population who still regularly uses their traditional printed paper rulebooks frequently. We currently can't use phones/personal electronic devices on the stands when judging, per current US Figure Skating rules.

jenlyon60
05-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I hate to say it, but I haven't requested my free hard copy rule book (which I could request as a judge) for a couple years. The first year they made it "free on request", I requested it. Never opened the box...used only the online version. So the next year I didn't bother to request a paper rule book.

I do use the online PDF rule book a lot, probably at least a couple times a week. It's easier to search to zoom in on the section I am needing to reference, and often quicker.

Also, I use the PSA tests spiral book at most test sessions, depending on what level of tests I'm judging. Much easier to carry around than the USFS tests book.

Rochelle
05-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I have the same preferences, jenlyon60. :) I love those PSA MIF books vs. carrying around the bulky test books, and for reference off ice I always use my .PDF version.

Unfortunately the 4 elder judges I was with at a test session today are irritated about the issue, so it was the topic de jour. But, we all agreed we'll make do.

I just had to bring it up, as one commenter above mentioned that they haven't seen the hard copies of a rulebook used in years... and they are still very much in use by some officials in our organization.

Carolla5501
05-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Memorial Funds distribution goes only the Athletes. Just what spicifically is wrong with the Memorial fund?

Perhaps you should look at the "amount" distributed vs earnings/donations? I haven't looked in a few years, but doing some analysis then raised some real questions. It's possible they have changed, but generallly once a donor "runs" they don't come back :)

Morry Stillwell
05-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Perhaps you should look at the "amount" distributed vs earnings/donations? I haven't looked in a few years, but doing some analysis then raised some real questions. It's possible they have changed, but generallly once a donor "runs" they don't come back :)

What should be done about this terrible situation?

barbk
05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Carolla -- Could you be more specific? For at least one of my 501(c)(3) organizations, our 990 is required to report as administrative expense something major that I would personally categorize as program expense -- because it wouldn't exist except that we need it for program purposes -- but IRS rules require that it be reported in the administrative category. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were things in the USFSA 990 that had to be treated in similar ways.

On the contributions front, our organization also has vastly lumpy contributions, and successive years can show big swings due to receipt of funds from bequests, the timing (and magnitude) of which is obviously out of our control. For internal purposes, we back out bequests when analyzing our fundraising program, but for the 990 it is all lumped together.

Visaliakid
05-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Morry, I never said anything was wrong about what was contained within the three years worth of USFS Federal Tax Filings. They are public documents are they not? I decided to publish the links to them for anyone here to check them out if they so desire.

I did not suggest anything more than reviewing the filings if one desires. I did not suggest or even hint that the reportings were improper. You seem pretty damn defensive about it. But I guess we should not be surprised with that.

Willowway
05-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Tax returns are not usually the source of entertainment.

No they're not. Not exactly fun stuff, tax returns.

But they are a primary source of information for those folks who'd like to know how their contributions are being managed, where contributions ultimately go and how much of any organization's assets go directly to the project or beneficiaries intended. Understanding and reviewing the information available is something contributors to any not-for-profit might benefit from doing.

Our tax regulations make these records public specifically for that purpose - organizations that qualify for not-for-profit status benefit from protection from taxation and in return there is a greater degree of public transparency around their finances.

I don't see anyone in this thread treating the USFSA's returns as entertainment.

barbk
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Morry, I never said anything was wrong about what was contained within the three years worth of USFS Federal Tax Filings. They are public documents are they not? I decided to publish the links to them for anyone here to check them out if they so desire.

I did not suggest anything more than reviewing the filings if one desires. I did not suggest or even hint that the reportings were improper. You seem pretty damn defensive about it. But I guess we should not be surprised with that.

Well, when someone suggests that we ought to take a look at the filings, usually there is some reason, red flag, or suspicion involved. But, since you apparently just suggested it because it is there, may I refer you to
http://www.merriam-webster.com/ which you also might find interesting. :rolleyes:

Morry Stillwell
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM

When a poster suggests that people review tax returns, it is not a streach to think that there may be something improper. I do not need to be defensive, since I have nothing to do with aministration or distribution of funds. However, I do not think that volenteers should be looking over their shoulder for outsider questions hinting at problems. If you are a US Figure Skating member, I suggest you write the Chair of the Committee and address your questions directly.

If there is something specific that should be questioned, then go for it. Continuing to encouage people to go on a search of tax returns make me question the goals of such postings.

Simone411
05-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Too bad it isn't mlp Advanced Media - imagine what we might see! ;)

It would be a lot more sparkly and snarky for sure. :lol:

Yes, a little sparkle, glimmer and shine for sure. :lol:

Coco
05-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Having worked for a charity, I can offer that disbursements might not be close to donations for some innocent reasons.

Donations vary from year to year. It's very bad for business (ie, makes your org look disorganized and poorly run) to fund programs one year, but not be able to fund them the next year.

So you don't give away everything you might be able to give away in year A because you want to KNOW you'll be able to match that level of funding next year.

Now - what are they doing with the other donations? They should be investing the vast majority of them. Not sure if that's something we can tell from a tax return.

There is a group...journal of philanthropy? that rates non-profits by the % of donations that go to overhead. Now, groups definitely mis-report so it's hard to get a clear picture. But it's a good guideline to go by.