PDA

View Full Version : Mark Ladwig has paired up with Lindsay Davis in Florida

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Sylvia
05-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Article with quotes from both of them and coach Lyndon Johnston: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120504&content_id=30367476&vkey=ice_news

genevieve
05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Best of luck to them - I can't remember seeing Davis when she was with Themi. Thoughts?

Sylvia
05-04-2012, 05:39 PM
There was some initial discussion about Davis/Ladwig in the US Pairs thread when the news first trickled out late last month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3556983#post3556983

They seem like they could be physically well-matched, and I'll be interested to see how they develop together alongside the other senior pairs in Ellenton, FL (Zhang/Bartholomay, Kayne/O'Shea, Kemp/King).

Garden Kitty
05-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I wish them all the best, and I love Mark's classy comments re Amanda.

SamuraiK
05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Mark is already 32 and she's only 20. His prospects don't look promising beyond Sochi while she could be searching for someone with whom she has a potential future for at least 1 more olympic cycle.. Oh well, I'ts her decision and good luck to both.

genevieve
05-04-2012, 07:49 PM
even if he's just a transition partner for her, going from having no partner to one with plenty of international experience will probably/hopefully give her good experience and maybe a leg up for next time she is looking for a partner.

LongTimeLurker
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
When did Lindsay and Themi end their partnership? Is Themi still skating? Looks-wise, I was hoping he would partner with Caitlin Y. :smokin: (even though I don't know how tall either one is).

Sylvia
05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
When did Lindsay and Themi end their partnership? Is Themi still skating?
From the article:

"For Davis, who sat out the 2011-12 season after former partner Themi Leftheris retired late last summer, ..."

There was hearsay info that Leftheris had contacted Caitlin Yankowskas after his split with Davis (right before the 2011-12 qualifying season entry deadline, IIRC), but nothing came of it, obviously.

ETA that this was posted back in February 2012 in the US Pairs thread:

Themi turned 'pro' recently-- he's skating on a cruise ship.

BittyBug
05-04-2012, 09:14 PM
even if he's just a transition partner for her, going from having no partner to one with plenty of international experience will probably/hopefully give her good experience and maybe a leg up for next time she is looking for a partner.Exactly!

aftershocks
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
At this point, it appears to be "a leg up" for both Lindsay and Mark. I wish them success, and I look forward to seeing them in the new season.

I too applaud Mark for his giving tribute to Amanda in the linked article. I have fond memories of Evora/ Ladwig, and I hope Amanda feels good and at peace with what she accomplished in skating and happy moving forward to achieve other goals beyond skating.

Are there any pics of Lindsay or vids of her skating?

I hope Themi and Naomi Nari Nam are also doing well these days. It's great that so many skaters are finding opportunities aboard cruise ships. I once saw an excellent show (with a Hans Christian Andersen theme) aboard the Oasis of the Seas Royal Caribbean cruise ship (Michelle Kwan is one of the godmothers of that ship).

Sylvia
05-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Here's a (club?) competition warm-up video (uploaded Sept. 2011) in which Lindsay Davis and Themi Leftheris land side-by-side triple loops in unison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODC-4wEIktg

There are several D&L videos on youtube (including from Indy Challenge), searchable under Davis & Leftheris.

carriemarie
05-04-2012, 11:41 PM
At this point, it appears to be "a leg up" for both Lindsay and Mark. I wish them success, and I look forward to seeing them in the new season.

I too applaud Mark for his giving tribute to Amanda in the linked article. I have fond memories of Evora/ Ladwig, and I hope Amanda feels good and at peace with what she accomplished in skating and happy moving forward to achieve other goals beyond skating.

Are there any pics of Lindsay or vids of her skating?

I hope Themi and Naomi Nari Nam are also doing well these days. It's great that so many skaters are finding opportunities aboard cruise ships. I once saw an excellent show (with a Hans Christian Andersen theme) aboard the Oasis of the Seas Royal Caribbean cruise ship (Michelle Kwan is one of the godmothers of that ship).

Not sure how Lindsay is a leg up for Mark.

Amanda was (Please don't go through the exhaustive jump issues) the best overall female pair skater in the US. Lindsay has HUGE skates to fill.

This to me is a final gasp of air from Ladwig and will end up being a resume builder for Lindsay.

aftershocks
05-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I meant no disrespect to Amanda in any way. I mean "leg up" for Mark in the sense that he was without a partner and still wanted to skate. Well, he now has a partner (albeit, he's starting over with a new partner and all that entails), so he's at the least "a leg up" from where he was when he became partnerless.

I don't recall ever seeing Lindsay Davis skate, so I'm not comparing her with Amanda. What Mark and Amanda achieved together will never be forgotten, and it was fitting and classy of Mark to acknowledge that in the article announcing his new partnership.

olympic
05-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Not sure how Lindsay is a leg up for Mark.

Amanda was (Please don't go through the exhaustive jump issues) the best overall female pair skater in the US. Lindsay has HUGE skates to fill.

This to me is a final gasp of air from Ladwig and will end up being a resume builder for Lindsay.

Well, IMO, the jumps issue should be considered if you are trying to rank skaters. I would say that Amanda has polish, extension and could be considered the best ... if you don't consider SBS jumps. Lindsay could bring the potential for higher points to the team due to being a better jumper. Just the way CoP works.

Zhao was 36 years old while winning gold in Vancouver. Mark might have a few years left. Let's see what happens ...

ETA - I read Sylvia's article. It looks like they already are doing the double twist quite easily, and their throw technique is surprisingly similar. Looks promising.

apatinar
05-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I really hope that this is not the case of another skater not having a transition plan after skating... At 32 - husband and father I guess he knows what he is doing financially to support his family...