PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Monetization Horror Story

Pages : 1 [2] 3

vesperholly
05-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I also had no idea that views on mobile devices aren't monetizable. I hope that eventually changes.

That's nuts, considering half the videos I watch on my phone have ads. :rolleyes:

xxxtiffxxx, what kind of videos do you have on YT?

PeterG
05-11-2012, 08:37 PM

xxx (hope it's okay to call you that for short), I was wondering the same thing.

:P

Erica Lee
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I've been on youtube for quite some time, but I was still confused about why I went from consistently making nearly 4 figures a month, to less than half of that now. I might just have a video that's no longer being promoted. I have over a hundred videos so I never really keep track of their individual view counts. I also had no idea that views on mobile devices aren't monetizable. I hope that eventually changes.

Do you never analyze your analytics? You don't have to keep track of this stuff yourself, just login to your account and hit the analytics button. All kinds of graphs come up that chart the popularity of your videos over time. The "traffic referrers" section can let you know exactly what is happening as far as where your views are coming from (links from websites, embeds on sites like facebook, youtube featured video views, etc.). That's a huge loss of revenue you've had - if I were you, I'd be figuring out why. Some of it is definitely out of your control, but not all of it is.

A four figure a month income in YouTube is incredibly impressive... even half of that as you say you have now... still wonderful. So, congrats.

xxxtiffxxx
05-12-2012, 01:14 AM
That's nuts, considering half the videos I watch on my phone have ads. :rolleyes:

xxx (hope it's okay to call you that for short), I was wondering the same thing.

:P

I just do hair and makeup tutorials, and clothing/fashion stuff too, my youtube name is Bighairbiggerlashes :). PeterG, that's fine. I registered during the middle of my teen angst days which explains the multiple x's :P.

Do you never analyze your analytics? You don't have to keep track of this stuff yourself, just login to your account and hit the analytics button. All kinds of graphs come up that chart the popularity of your videos over time. The "traffic referrers" section can let you know exactly what is happening as far as where your views are coming from (links from websites, embeds on sites like facebook, youtube featured video views, etc.). That's a huge loss of revenue you've had - if I were you, I'd be figuring out why. Some of it is definitely out of your control, but not all of it is.

A four figure a month income in YouTube is incredibly impressive... even half of that as you say you have now... still wonderful. So, congrats.

I only check every once in a while since I'm glad to be making any money from quick videos that I do at home, even if it's a smaller amount. I just looked after reading your post and think I have it figured out. I have two videos that have significantly more views than my other ones. I remember one of them getting 20k views one month, but for April it only had 8k. The other one is about the same, so I suppose that's where my loss is coming from. Your post was very helpful; I'll have to start keeping a closer eye on my analytics :).

PeterG
05-12-2012, 01:54 AM
PeterG, that's fine. I registered during the middle of my teen angst days which explains the multiple x's :P.

xxxooo :)

I have two videos that have significantly more views than my other ones. I remember one of them getting 20k views one month, but for April it only had 8k.

So am I right in assuming that videos that gets lots of views are the "Youtube Recommendations" videos? Is that random...or does youtube recommend new videos that are getting a lot of hits? (Have no idea how recommendations come about...) :confused:

Erica Lee
05-12-2012, 02:13 AM
I have not found any method to the madness that is YouTube recommendations.

I assume YouTube likes to promote videos that "perform well" (financially). From that, monetized videos would be more likely to be promoted than non-monetized videos. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine as to how they are selected.

My one popular video is called "cows mooing" (yes, random I know... go figure)... and it was promoted as a featured video for a very long time and it took it from a 200000 views video to a 2 million views video. All the sudden, sometime after hitting 2 million, it has no longer been "featured" with any regularity. I'm still getting a lot of views from search, from related videos, etc... but that missing featured video traffic has been noticeable.

Erica Lee
05-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I just do hair and makeup tutorials, and clothing/fashion stuff too, my youtube name is Bighairbiggerlashes :).

Thanks for sharing. Great channel. You have a lot going for you - especially a good niche topic and consistent updates. Both things I lack on mine (eureka345)!

We have similar total video views - but you have a ton more subscribers and make WAY more money than I do.

So clearly while I know a bit more about the analytics side of things... you're doing what actually matters (making videos) a lot more than I am :) I've tried to post more consistently.. it just never happens. And I'm not about to get in front of the camera myself either! So I'll just be happy with my hundred dollars every couple of months!

xxxtiffxxx
05-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. Great channel. You have a lot going for you - especially a good niche topic and consistent updates. Both things I lack on mine (eureka345)!

We have similar total video views - but you have a ton more subscribers and make WAY more money than I do.

So clearly while I know a bit more about the analytics side of things... you're doing what actually matters (making videos) a lot more than I am :) I've tried to post more consistently.. it just never happens. And I'm not about to get in front of the camera myself either! So I'll just be happy with my hundred dollars every couple of months!

Thanks, I subscribed to your channel :). A little over a year ago, I had almost ten thousand subscribers(don't know about my views though), and I made barely over a hundred dollars a month. I guess my consistent uploading is what's making a big difference. I deleted my first few videos from 2009 recently because I could see how terrified I looked on camera :P.

PeterG
05-12-2012, 06:37 AM
My one popular video is called "cows mooing" (yes, random I know... go figure)... and it was promoted as a featured video for a very long time and it took it from a 200000 views video to a 2 million views video. All the sudden, sometime after hitting 2 million, it has no longer been "featured" with any regularity. I'm still getting a lot of views from search, from related videos, etc... but that missing featured video traffic has been noticeable.

Wow, 3 million views! I checked out my mountain sheep videos, and the most views I got were 400-something. I took it with my first camera that could do video and I sweaaaaar that the quality was not so horrid as it appears to be on screen now. It's so bad that I'm not even going to post a link to the video! :slinkaway

The camera I use now was purchased in 2009, I believe. I just made some videos the other day and there are blotches showing, not sure if that means I need a new camera or if I was shooting into the sun... I'm such am amateur! :lol:

Erica Lee
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I subscribed to your channel :). A little over a year ago, I had almost ten thousand subscribers(don't know about my views though), and I made barely over a hundred dollars a month. I guess my consistent uploading is what's making a big difference. I deleted my first few videos from 2009 recently because I could see how terrified I looked on camera :P.

Consistent uploading would definitely explain the difference. How many hours a week do you spend on making videos?

Peter - blotches.. hmm... doesn't really sound to me like a "need a new camera" problem. Shooting into the sun can cause lens flare - that could be it. Do you have an example we can look at?

xxxtiffxxx
05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Consistent uploading would definitely explain the difference. How many hours a week do you spend on making videos?

It varies, sometimes just 30 minutes a week if I only make one video, up to 2 hours if I do three or four. A video takes me anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to film, plus 15-20 minutes of editing. My most recent upload is less than 3 minutes long, but because of multiple clothing changes it took around 15 minutes to film. For the editing process I cut out all the in betweens, add music, and occasionally do voice-overs.

PeterG
05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Peter - blotches.. hmm... doesn't really sound to me like a "need a new camera" problem. Shooting into the sun can cause lens flare - that could be it. Do you have an example we can look at?

Sorry, I didn't like how it looked, so I deleted it. But after viewing other stuff shot that day, I thin it was because I was shooting directly towards the sun (or close enough to that angle). :)

Erica Lee
05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Tiff - Well you're definitely getting a decent income for the amount of time you put into it. Hopefully the revenue stream rebounds to its former level. The unpredictability of it is part of what would prevent me from ever going "full time".

Peter - Yeah, sun makes perfect sense.

PeterG
07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
I am finally getting around to going through some old photos (and learning how to make a video out of photos) and I posted a video with photos I took at Skate Canada in Victoria. Youtube sent me a message saying that they could not monetize the video because I did not own rights to the images. I know that I don't have the right to video that someone else shot, but I thought if I took the photos myself, I had the right to use them whatever way I wanted. Maybe only if I take the photos in a public setting? And these pictures were taken inside a private venue?

vesperholly
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Dispute it and say you took the photos. They probably think it's an amalgam of pictures from AP or something.